View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
I'm stunned, sad, and don't care if this belongs here or not 

Post I'm stunned, sad, and don't care if this belongs here or not
I met Jim when I started my second job at a place called Interactive Computers. It was a repair place (this is back around 1990), but we actually worked writing software for Police Departments. We sat in this little three room basement office in a small building in Bensenville. He made working there worth it. He was fucking hilarious. We joked constantly making fun of everyone and everything. Even when we rejoined the rest of the company in the main offices (and wrote dispatch software for them) he and I worked together, hung out, went to lunch everyday, and had a blast making work bearable.

I got fired from that job. Jim left a short time later. We stayed in touch for quite a long time which, for me, is quite out of character. But sooner or later my old habits kicked and I fell out of touch with Jim. We'd touch base every once in a while, generally laughing our asses off because that's just how it went. He got sick, and then had some weird shit happen, but he recovered. I went to his 50th birthday party and true to form we spent most of the time laughing. That was two years ago.

So today, I get a friend request from his wife. I accept. I notice that her current location is out west and I notice there's this little message about missing someone. I see a picture of Jim and follow it and notice his profile says he's in Chicago. His profile says married, hers is silent about status. So I think "Oh, maybe the got divorced or something." I pop over to his wall....

...and there are messages from his kids about missing him; messages from his mom about how it was three months ago she kissed him goodbye for the last time. Turns out Jim passed away in May (I found the obit).

I'm stunned. I'm sad. I can barely concentrate. I feel tears in my eyes. Jim was a great guy - jovial, gregarious, friendly. He had more friends than I can imagine. He had a great little family and raised some great kids. He made me laugh and now he's got me crying. See ya, Jim - hope we meet again, someday.

I think I'll go be depressed now...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:05 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: I'm stunned, sad, and don't care if this belongs here or
I'm sorry you lost a good friend Jim. I can imagine the feeling of being caught off guard by the news and the regrets of not being able to say good bye to your pal.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:04 am

Just to add pain to the misery, it sparked me to try to track down some folks I haven't talked to in a while - some a few years. The first one a friend from late high school and then in college I used to crash at his place, play guitars, write songs, and partake of various party materials while skipping class and living as a kind of nomad in the city. We even played open mike night at Durty Nellie's (used to be a hole in wall bar in Palatine where we grew up) once or twice.

He died in April.

I need to reaffirm life by playing D&D with the kids this weekend - they have 5 days off so we should be able to find some time. Hey Serious Paul - want to come on by? We'll be in your neck of the woods...

Lest I forget - thanks boulet. The hardest part was that disconnect where you always just assume you'll have one more chance to talk to them at least and you realize you won't even be able to say good-bye...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:35 am
Profile E-mail

Condolences.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: I'm stunned, sad, and don't care if this belongs here or not
It's OK, sometimes a person needs to vent a little.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:39 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: I'm stunned, sad, and don't care if this belongs here or not
My condolences, Jim. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]