View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
The Podcast Haven chairs wil be empty... 

Post The Podcast Haven chairs wil be empty...
Hey gang,

I have been putting this off for weeks and I do apologize for the radio silence. Real life has just put itself into overdrive for me in the last few months and I had to take a hard look at my free time. Unfortunately, I realize that I just won't have the cycles to do the podcast anymore. I've spoken with Ryan and he is in the same boat.

It's been a total blast, one of the projects that I really looked forward to each month and I hope that in our own small way, Ryan and I have contributed a teeny bit to a few people's knowledge and enjoyment of our hobby. For me, I learned a bunch about sound editing and got to speak to some amazingly cool and interesting people who make gaming such a cool place to be.

I want to thank Bill and Jim for giving me the opportunity and creating this gentle little Haven (taking a step back for a couple of months and watching the gaming fora from afar reminds of how much a Haven this place is; good work, people). I especially want to thank Bill for his technical expertise and truly democratic approach. He is a geek-engineer of the highest order, both in terms of skill and ethics, meaning he created a solid foundation and then let us be free in it. This is a rare situation to find on the internet these days, especially if you don't pay for it, so thanks a lot Bill. Thanks also to all the guests who always said something awesome. And finally thanks to all the listeners and especially those of you who jumped in with comments and feedback and even the occasional "hey where's the podcast?"

So here's the thing. The set-up is all there. The blog, the feed, the community, the potential content. There is a shitload of interesting people out there with very interesting things to say. Assuming Bill and Jim give their blessings, I am ready to hand the keys over. On top of that, I will take the time to give you a bit of training, info-sharing, whatever you need to get started. If you've got the time and the inclination, let me know and we'll keep this thing alive.

Game on, people!

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:34 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: The Podcast Haven chairs wil be empty...
Considering how committed you guys had been in the past and busy IRL you seemed to be lately, I had the feeling this was about to happen.

Thank you Walkerp and MZR for the episodes you created. I enjoyed the cruise.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:38 am

Excellent work, sirs. I sincerely hope the chairs do not sit empty for long.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:20 pm
Profile E-mail

This is sad news indeed. However, given I'm experiencing a problem somewhat similar (work, family, etc. all ramping up) I understand completely. I hope things all go well for you.

Now, as much as walker and I have disagreed in the past, I think it's pretty safe to say that given then cance we'd game together in a heartbeat (well, I know I would); and that we're pretty OK with each other. I've always appreciated the amount of work and effort he put not just into the podcast, but in being a member of the site (starting conversations, giving input and feedback, etc.). Same goes for MZR (although he and I don't disagree as much!). I hope you both have a chance to post now and then.

Having said all that, I'd love for the podcast to continue. I'm willing to try to assist in whatever way I can. More so than I did with walker running things because I tried to be as hands-off as possible. Thing is, I don't know thing 1 about actually creating the podcast. So I'll see what I can dig up but would be more than open to suggestions for what kinds of things are needed (ways to record, editing software, how to get in touch with folks and interview at a distance, etc.).

Consider this an open call for anyone interested...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Profile E-mail

The podcast will be missed, but I completely understand your reasons for ending it. My own projects are going as slow as molasses and my wife already complains I spend too much time at the computer, so I commiserate. But I do hope you'll be able to find the time to continue posting here at the Haven. It wouldn't be quite the same place without you guys.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:11 am
Profile E-mail

Well, I certainly understand. Wlaker has certainly done a great job and hopefully will stay on in the community as well as have a hand in the podcast (if a smaller, less time intensive one).

This brings up an opportunity from another thread though. CD, are you reading!

CD pointed out that we do not have a tight enough couple between the podcast and the Haven. How can we do more? Walker, do you have thoughts? Anyone else? I thought they were pretty tight but, well, I am just not getting what should be happening. If it is just a matter of policy (where announcements are posted) then I think that is a quick fix. If we need tech intervention (a podcast feed at the top of each fora) then I need to know and can get working on it.

Also, any ideas on hosts? Volunteers?

Thanks Walker and MZR for all your effort and good work.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:02 am
Profile E-mail WWW

@thengel - since you asked...

I'd like to see stronger ties between podcast and the community on the forum. Some ideas:

* Birthday / event / game release / convention announcements for forum members (probably at the end of the podcast) stuff that calls out the forum members as people and a community - this could be teasted out to a more formal section of the show
* A Board Header for the podcast to allow people to find episode info quickly as well as a current episode link on the main portion of the board (a hotlink type deal)
* If each episode thread could have an in-browser player for the episode, that would be rather hawt
* An anonymous poll for each episode so the community can give a quick rating to let the hosts and each other know what they thought along with the ability to give more detailed comments
* custom forum titles for the podcast hosts and "staff" (if there is such a thing) on the forum
* A section of the show where the hosts highlight threads of note on the forum, give some insight on commentary on the thread and invite listeners to participate

I'll continue to ponder on this. I dig the idea of a show that is tied to a community rather than a community of listeners who just respond to the show content. More of a give and take, almost like an audio newsletter.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:19 pm
Profile E-mail

I'm amused by some of the discussion in both this thread and the Kaiser Wilhelm thread, particularly the ones that suggest more forums - given that it was not long ago I went through a process, at the members request, mind you, to shrink the number of forums...

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:12 pm
Profile E-mail

@Jim - I think creating new fora with a specific purpose is a good idea as long as it gets traction. It doesn't have to be a permanent change.

Game Publisher and Podcast fora are ideas worthy of discussion.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:11 pm
Profile E-mail

My amusement does not preclude discussion. Honest.

I only thought it funny and doubted that people remembered it even though it was just a few months ago.

I'm still more focused on the Podcast - and what it will take to get it back up and running. I'm a bit flummoxed that you would volunteer, orklord, given it looks like you've already got one...

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next