View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
This Forum Sucks! 

Post Re: Outlaw Press/Jim Shipman is back
It's a place where posting a crap thread is fine, but calling a crap thread crap is a bannable offense. Nobody should really be surprised at how far it's fallen - I only continue to be surprised that it falls further every time I check it.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:58 pm
Profile E-mail

J Arcane wrote:
I think after a point you just have to accept that there are cocks on the internet, and that you must learn to avoid them, or just not use the internet.

Except that over there the cocks are in charge. To your point, you can hang out on the fringes of TT and avoid them for the most part, though even then every now and then you'll get blindsided by their cockedness and you either react (like me) and get in more trouble or you back off and go back to having a terrible taste in your mouth.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:15 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

J Arcane wrote:
In all fairness, it's not like RPGnet has a monopoly on being a total cock on the internet.

Isn't that why many of us left theRPGsite too?

I can't speak for anybody else but I left certain communities because certain agendas were being pushed by moderators and administrators.

At RPG.net, they went on record saying it's not a website focused on roleplaying anymore. That was the new direction. Most of the rulings were made for and applied by freaks of nature and deviants who don't even roleplay. They just hang around the off-topic forums over there and force their fucked up, twisted vision of an "emotionally safe environment" upon casual gamers.

As for the RPGsite, it's basically a vehicle for one miserable, delusional soul in love with himself. People migrated there over time based for the wrong reasons. The RPGsite is not a community, even though it sometimes acts like one. The most obvious evidence of that was him pushing a segment of perfectly sound roleplaying game to the off-topic forum because, according to this retard, they're not RPGs.

People who post there condone that sort of attitude, which is why I left.

J Arcane wrote:
I think after a point you just have to accept that there are cocks on the internet, and that you must learn to avoid them, or just not use the internet.

If you would like more activity/feedback, I think you should give RPG.net another try. I do think however, based on many of your posts here, that you would need to seriously modify your posting style to survive there. The way you have formulated many of your opinions here would not fly at all over there. If you can do that and not feel like you are walking on eggshells, it could be worth a try.

My mod voice is red

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 pm
Profile E-mail

walkerp wrote:

Except that over there the cocks are in charge.

It's terribly wrong but I first read this as "Except that over there the cocks are large".

My mod voice is red

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:23 pm
Profile E-mail

I dunno. I just can't fathom why there isn't another decent general forum out there. I'm not disagreeing that RPGnet has crawled inside it's own ass a bit on the rules and the mod style, when I was there TT was already almost a past-time in itself.

It's just that, well, it's kind of the elephant in the room if you don't give a shit about D&D. I just can't fathom why there isn't a reasonably sensible, straightforward forum like Colony of Gamers in the RPG space, at least not without assuming some pretty ugly blanket statements about the personality of RPG players.

Instead, you either play D&D and post on ENWorld or WOTC where all your posts will be ruthlessly checked for deviance from the party line, you go to RPGnet which is fine sometimes but breaks into periodic bursts of purest butthurt over the randomest things, or you go to shit like theRPGsite or the Forge where everything is about ramrodding some fucking agenda or other down everyone's throats.

Take those away, and you're left with hole-in-the-wall sites like this that get 12 posts a month.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:28 pm
Profile E-mail

It's a reasonable concern, J Arcane.

One of the factors is the size and nicheness of the hobby. When the community is as small as it is, it's easier for freaky elements to take the pole position.

But I also think that something else is going on. I think that the online RPG world is a constantly changing and evolving thing and that we are near the end of one major trend. I don't know exactly what it was and I sure have no idea where it is going, but I think this whole chapter with forums and these specific philosophical conflicts will be looked at as history (albeit a rich and interesting one to those who care) in the not so distant future. I've been reflecting hard over my own lack of interest in the forum world and while part of it is simply a personal evolution, I think that also this thing has run its course.

We're all in some kind of stalemate, slowly withering away until the next big thing comes along.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:40 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Consonant Dude wrote:
walkerp wrote:

Except that over there the cocks are in charge.

It's terribly wrong but I first read this as "Except that over there the cocks are large".

Well joking aside, Levi is tiny, but everyone knows that Darren Maclennan is large AND in charge!

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:41 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

J Arcane wrote:
I dunno. I just can't fathom why there isn't another decent general forum out there.

[SNIP]

Take those away, and you're left with hole-in-the-wall sites like this that get 12 posts a month.

I've asked myself this question a thousand times. Why is one of the only true generalist, lightly moderated RPG forum being ignored by gamers?

My answer is that the Haven tends to be moderate in opinion. There aren't that many polarizing topics because the core base is really moderate. I also think a lot of people secretly love drama and so, love to hang around places populated with assholes, even if it makes them feel like shit. That's secretly what they want.

Also, I think a lot of gamers aren't interested in diversity, at all. That doesn't mean they hate diversity but they have no use for it. Why hang out at a place where you can talk about any game when you may play four different RPGs in your entire lifetime?

My mod voice is red

Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:15 pm
Profile E-mail

For the record we get 13 posts a month. ;)

Seriously, our activity is cyclic. I have a few years of google stats and the wave is interesting to view.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:31 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Looking back, hmmm, Tuesday, March 22 2010....WTF 876 visits in one day. What was happening then?

Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next