View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
This Forum Sucks! 

Post Re: Outlaw Press/Jim Shipman is back
I'd definitely participate in such a forum. I'm working on a game set in New England in 1964.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:07 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Outlaw Press/Jim Shipman is back
Thalaba wrote:
One thing I wish existed, for example, was a forum devoted to Historical and Alt History gaming. I throw this out there knowing that the likes of Bill and Clash might be into such a thing, too, and it would be a good place for the Bills, Clashes, Neil Gows, and Paul Elliots of the gaming world to host fora discussing their specific games, as well as for general discussion.

I like this idea, especially if nobody is going to take over the badass historian role, like pundy does on his forum. Badass historians are really good at stiffening and sterilizing alt history threads in my experience. Seems like there's quite a few members here who are interested in this kind of gaming, it might just work.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:28 am

Post Re: This Forum Sucks!
I know you folks were talking about a different forum altogether, but I just thought I'd throw out there the opportunity to have a place here for that discussion.

What I find interesting is that folks don't post about those very topics here in the general forum. Why not? I mean, if they did, and people started piling into those threads and so forth, it's easy enough to create a sub forum or whatever.

Mostly I'm just curious as to why one would not post historical or alt-history topics here?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 pm
Profile E-mail

I'm not advocating for a separate subforum personally. I like reading alt-history threads though.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm

There's no particular reason why-not, but there's also no particular reason why. That's the blessing and curse of the general-purpose forum. With no real limitation on what to talk about, there's no leaning towards talking about one thing rather than another. It's why so many forums over-subdivide and over-specialize rather than over-generalize.

It's also why the D&D/D20 forum on rpg.net is better than the Tabletop Open forum, which is itself better than Tangency, and each one is better in proportion to the constraint placed on it (Tangency, since it's constraint is "everything in the world other than tabletop roleplaying games", is the second worst possible forum anyone could imagine or design.) That's not to say that there isn't some benefit to general forums, but it also has its drawbacks.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail

As things stand now, starting posts about gaming (in almost any genre) at the Haven might net 10 serious responses within a day or so. Starting the same post at RPGnet will probably generate four times that amount in a few hours, with the option of exploding tangents, so it's more rewarding. As a general forum, RPGnet and RPG Site are the Haven's competition and they just have more people.

Having a dedicated historical gaming site (History-Gaming.com, to throw out a name) would have branding already associated with it. Once word gets out, people would know that was the place to go for that particular thing, and would start to think it was even a better place than RPGnet for talking about history. Adding in fora for specific games that people know the author will respond to adds to that momentum.

In other words, a dedicated forum is better because you know the people there are into the same things you are (and therefore focused on the topic at hand), and hopefully, with enough initial momentum, the community is large enough to get a wide variety of responses to what you are posting about, and you can be fairly assured they will be knowledgeable.

If someone wants to post about BRP, for instance, most people will go to BRP Central - that's where you get the best responses. The second place is RPGnet. No other site is really worth considering if that's what you want to talk about, IMO.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:52 pm
Profile E-mail

Well I think you could also keep the Haven as is and just start trying to brand it as the place to go for historical talk.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:01 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

See, one of the things I always found sometimes rewarding (and sometimes not) about a general forum like RPGnet's was the possibility of different perspectives from people who don't necessarily play the game in question but could at least still give you some ideas for your game that you might not have gotten if you had posted on a game-specific forum.

Any community centered around one thing tends to get sort of set in it's ways and I always found them rather limiting in their own right just in terms of the kinds of imagination they had on offer. Going to SJGames, for instance, and expecting a thread about a GURPS game to give anything but hardcore milsim/gearhead perspective was an exercise in futility.

Now mind you, sometimes on a generalist forum you also get vapid responses or responses so far afield that they aren't really useful, but on the balance I found the plethora of perspectives gave me a lot broader range of ideas than what I could get just going to a specific forum.

To use another example from GURPS, I once posted a thread about doing Phantasy Star in GURPS. The RPGnet thread was full of ideas, some of them from folks who didn't even play, that pointed out things and ways of doing things I hadn't thought of, whereas if I'd posted in on SJGames I would've gotten a bunch of responses asking why I'd want to do such a thing, because the userbase there focused on a type of game that really wasn't in line with what I wanted to play.

I myself, when I was still an RPGnetter, would tend to pipe up with my own perspective in threads like that even if I didn't necessarily know the system, because more ideas is seldom a harm and often a help.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Look...I'm not saying that you will get more or less or whatever. I absolutely understand and agree that we're orders - plural - of magnitude smaller.

But how do you get bigger without those initial posts?

We've said all along that anyone can post anything here that has to do with gaming. I post what I'm interested in at the moment or whatever butterfly that happens to catch my eye.

If I was doing alt-history stuff, that's what I'd be posting about. If I was looking where to get the most responses, I'd post in places that had huge numbers. If I want the best responses, I'd post here....no, seriously, I'd post where I trust the folks who are going to respond. I might not like their answers, I'm not looking for agreement - but I'd respect their responses. I'd also look for a place that had as wide a range of views as possible.

For me, that's here.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 pm
Profile E-mail

The Haven is what it is and I enjoy it for what it is. Being a low-traffic forum is okay! If it were super-big, there would be some advantages associated with that, but also some disadvantages.

I actually did intend to post some stuff here about my 1964 game (and cross-post at story-games, since that's where my interest lies as well) at some point.

I don't think anything really needs to change, but that doesn't mean a more specialized forum for a more specialized topic couldn't also be useful. For example, an alt-history/history-in-gaming forum might also benefit from electronic game people (Europa Universalis, Victoria 3 modders, etc.)

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next