View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
[AVATARS] Controlling content 

Post Re: [AVATARS] Controlling content
This is so damn fascinating to me on a certain level. This is where you'll find the small split between Bill and I that you can one day exploit to drive a wedge between us and forever tear asunder this board.

Thanks for changing it, SP.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Also, if you add someone to your "foe" list -

"If you add a user to your foes list, any posts they make will be hidden by default."

- which clears up the avatar problem on an individual basis. No offense, Paul. You seem like a nice enough guy. It's just easier to do that once and have done with it then to be distracted by the animated gif and have to perform an operation manually each thread in which you participate. Plus, being as insightful and poignant as you are, I will most likely catch most of your posts when they are quoted.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:01 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Mark wrote:
No offense, Paul. You seem like a nice enough guy. It's just easier to do that once and have done with it then to be distracted by the animated gif and have to perform an operation manually each thread in which you participate. Plus, being as insightful and poignant as you are, I will most likely catch most of your posts when they are quoted.

I can't wait til mark breaks up with me. That's the best kiss-off I've ever read on the Internet.

Oh..and in case you didn't notice, Mark, he's changed it. Now it's just a red dash moving across the screen.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:32 pm
Profile E-mail

I honestly don't get offended very easily, and I doubt had I been asked-which I sort of assumed I was, or why else post this thread?-that I'd be offended. It's an avatar on the internet.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:38 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Jim Skach wrote:
Oh..and in case you didn't notice, Mark, he's changed it. Now it's just a red dash moving across the screen.

Saw that. The ironic nail ruining a nail thing was less of a distraction for me, personally, but it's the animation that makes it a distraction in the first place. No big deal, just a personal quirk.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

SeriousPaul wrote:
I honestly don't get offended very easily, and I doubt had I been asked-which I sort of assumed I was, or why else post this thread?-that I'd be offended. It's an avatar on the internet.

Well, Paul, the problem is I am trying (with Jim) to make a low moderation site. Some folks take such requests and roll them into the :OMG!1!111! Theyaretakingmyrighttoavatarexpressionaway!111!!!1:

I have software to help me deal so no biggie for me. Ian did not. I do think it is decent of you to change it though and thank you for being reasonable about it.

The larger question still persists though. Is this a case by case sort of thing or a rules sort of thing? I am inclined to keep it a case by case sort of thing and follow Jim's suggestion of modding up the forums to allow for blocking out avatars on a user by user basis.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:24 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I don't think it's worth the code.

I've never seen this happen before and when it did, everyone behaved quite reasonably about it. Really, I wish all this effort was put into discussing games.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:28 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

SeriousPaul wrote:
Again, to be clear, I was looking for a mechanical means for merely turning off the .GIF avatar -- when I wrote "Controlling content" in the title, I was referring to controlling the content as it displays on my browser, not controlling what content people upload for their avatars.

After a fashion, yes, I was getting around to asking you if you could curb your avatar -- it squicked me deeply -- but I considered it my problem and not yours. I wanted to try to handle things on my end before going to yours. And, thank you, even though I never quite got around to addressing you directly. :P

!i!

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 pm
Profile E-mail

walkerp wrote:

[...snip...]

Really, I wish all this effort was put into discussing games.
I wish someone would code a Turing program to simulate discussion of games so we could all sit back, ignore each other, and watch the post count balloon.

!i!

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Ian Absentia wrote:
walkerp wrote:

[...snip...]

Really, I wish all this effort was put into discussing games.
I wish someone would code a Turing program to simulate discussion of games so we could all sit back, ignore each other, and watch the post count balloon.

So an "interactive program" where you are not interactive but where the interactivity is handled for you. We have come far as a species. :)

At the other end of the spectrum, I have developed a game called "Sim-You" which includes instructions on how to set up a webcam behind your computer chair so you can try and keep up with yourself.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:56 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next