View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Yet again, are we beating a dead horse? 
Site Admin

Post Re: Yet again, are we beating a dead horse?
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya!...

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:46 pm
Profile E-mail

You know, weighing in as just another poster, I never wanted people to be "passive aggressive" but, (looking at you Elliot), you can go the other direction too. You can be a flaming moron and take it to the extreme just because "no one can call you on it". In all honesty, what I had (and continue to) hoped for here was a place where you could get angry, tell someone to fuck off but then get it out of your system without a crowd of howler monkeys urging you to the death match of the Intertubes.

Part of the problem is folks tend to gravitate to the "screaming at one another" or feel oppressed by "Be decent to one another".

I would also add that sometimes all you need is someone to say "Hey, take a deep breath". Yeah, sometimes it takes more than that but I hope that is not the case on the Haven.

I know, crazy dreamer. :dance:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Fuck off, Thengel.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Thengel wrote:
In all honesty, what I had (and continue to) hoped for here was a place where you could get angry, tell someone to fuck off but then get it out of your system without a crowd of howler monkeys urging you to the death match of the Intertubes.

I don't know what this site is about but when you have a site dedicated to a certain philosophy or whatever, it's kind of difficult not to have howler monkeys screaming for blood against perceived transgressions against the sites dogma.

Regards,
David R

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail

What if the philosophy is against howler monkeys?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail

The screaming of anti-howler monkeys, Jim. Have you heard them? They are horrible....

Regards,
David R

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm
Profile E-mail

David R wrote:
The screaming of anti-howler monkeys, Jim. Have you heard them? They are horrible....

Regards,
David R

If you get both howler monkeys and anti-howler monkeys screeching at the same time, do they cancel each other out?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
If you get both howler monkeys and anti-howler monkeys screeching at the same time, do they cancel each other out?

Well it's normally one or the other. But I do concede that such a thing you describe is possible. If this should ever happen, then yes, they cancel each other out but what you get is complete forum inactivity.

Regards,
David R

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Thengel wrote:
You know, weighing in as just another poster, I never wanted people to be "passive aggressive" but, (looking at you Elliot)

Uh, whatever?

I think I'll just say good luck with your experiment. I do not think you will succeed if you don't do something about the psycho-social payoff of bad behavior, because the bigger the site gets, the bigger the payoff.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail

ewilen wrote:
Thengel wrote:
You know, weighing in as just another poster, I never wanted people to be "passive aggressive" but, (looking at you Elliot)

Uh, whatever?

I think I'll just say good luck with your experiment. I do not think you will succeed if you don't do something about the psycho-social payoff of bad behavior, because the bigger the site gets, the bigger the payoff.

Elliot, crap man, quoting me that way it sounds like I am calling you out. No, I just meant in reference to your comment. As in, it was never my intention to force people to react passive aggressively.

As for doing something about the psycho-social payoff, it sounds exactly like what you were describing. Set up barriers so that people can circumvent them.

That said, as I said before, I am out of ideas and if Clash thinks it is a good idea I am all for him running with it and I will do everything in my power from "the guy running the server" position that I can to help.

So sincerely, sorry if I offended you. It was definitely not my intention.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next