View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Gamers vs. Christians? 

Post Gamers vs. Christians?
Why? Really?

The past week on this forum has had two threads where Christians were mocked. You know what? That's okay with me. But also, the idea of Christianity was mocked. That's not cool to me.

I don't understand why this is happening. I'm a Christian. And yes, I don't tell my fellow Christians at church that I play RPGs. But I also don't tell them I play video games, or that I watch anime or sci-fi. We still get along really well. We may not talk about as many different topics as my gamer friends.

But I haven't actually seen or heard a fellow Christian knock RPGs since I was handed a Jack Chick tract outside the Miliwaukee Convention Center back the last year when GenCon was in Wisconsin. That was a long time ago. I didn't know those people. They didn't say anything to me. I ended up getting my own copy of the Blackleaf comic, which I thought was pretty cool.

I don't have your experiences with people of my faith. I'm sorry they have hurt or judged or offended you. That's wrong. It isn't how Jesus wants us to live, it plain isn't right.

But can we stop mocking my religion? Mock experiences with people, sure. But my faith? My beliefs? Back off.

If you can't or won't back off, then this forum isn't for me. Which is a good thing to know.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:28 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Gamers vs. Christians?
Thanks, Rich. I'm going to chime in because I don't want to leave you hanging out here by yourself. I suspect people won't quite know how to react without feeling like they are stepping in a mine field. It's a touchy subject. Here is what I expect from forums.

I am a Christian. I don't expect others to believe the way I do, but I do get annoyed when people mock religion (mine or anyone else's). I can listen to people talk about atheism and make rational arguments against religion all day without an emotional reaction (and even with a good deal of interest). I can even absorb some humor as long as I feel it isn't motivated by hate. AND, I understand that the bad behavior of many modern Christians (and "Christians") has provoked some of the mockery and hate. In the end, though, I expect people to exhibit tolerance and respect for others beliefs. By "respect" I don't mean you have to be interested in my religion, or tell me that you admire me for having faith, or pretend you even like my religion. By respect I mean if you have something shitty to say about my religion, I would really really prefer that you keep it to yourself. In return, I promise to do my best not to mock the things you care about or believe in. If I do, by accident or in a moment of stupidity, I will sincerely apologize after the fact.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:24 am
Profile E-mail

Thanks, Troy.

And to be clear, I'm not asking for an apology. I forgive what was said already.

But I can't sit by and say nothing and if this is what The RPG Haven has become, then I don't feel welcome here.

All I'm asking is for you to talk about... I dunno. Maybe RPGs? That'd be nice.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 am
Profile E-mail

orklord wrote:
Thanks, Troy.

And to be clear, I'm not asking for an apology. I forgive what was said already.

But I can't sit by and say nothing and if this is what The RPG Haven has become, then I don't feel welcome here.

All I'm asking is for you to talk about... I dunno. Maybe RPGs? That'd be nice.

For sure.

Though discussions about editions of D&D can get every bit as heated as religious threads!!!!!

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:40 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Discussions about editions of D&D *are* religious arguments... :D

Tolerance is the keyword here. It just means accepting that there will be differences between folks, and letting it go. These differences are not the important parts. The important parts are the commonalities. Let's focus on them.

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:25 am
Profile E-mail

I have nothing to say about the comments in question, and had no desire to engage them. What I say below doesn't pertain to them in any way.

For me, one of the main reasons I like discussion, in forums or otherwise, is because I'm a curious sort. For this reason, I do like to explore the differences - not sweep them under the rug. I think I'm pretty respectful, though, and can engage in those kinds of conversation without passing judgement. Maybe, sometimes, I'll come across as ignorant on a certain topic. I'd hope that people would choose the path of enlightenment, rather than dismissal, if I come across this way. My intentions are good.

Since curiosity and learning are my main goal, I tend to respond to threads more than I start them. When I do start a thread, it's usually to solicit the opinions of others. Sometimes it's to share a discovery I made that I found interesting. I don't think I've ever started a thread anywhere with the intention of belittling anyone.

All that said, I'd hate to see people leave because they're uncomfartable. I'd also prefer not to see rules imposed on what people are allowed to talk about. Hopefully there can be a happy meeting ground in the middle.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:10 pm
Profile E-mail

I hope my comments won't be construed as "feeding the flames" too much.

orklord wrote:
But also, the idea of Christianity was mocked. That's not cool to me.

I get why you're offended, and while I don't share offense-I am more often than not offended by Christians, Christianity and how the two interact with the rest of us. This isn't to say you're specifically the kind of person I find disagreeable with, or that I am trying to mock your position. Rather I feel strongly enough about my own beliefs to express them, and hopefully in a relatively reasonable fashion.

I am assuming you're most offended by Judge Death's comments-and I think I can understand why. His presentation in these threads, frankly, matches that of the Christians I dislike. And the Muslims I dislike. And well all of the unreasonable people I dislike. So in that respect there's no reason to specifically get down on someone for their religion.

Quote:
I don't understand why this is happening. I'm a Christian. And yes, I don't tell my fellow Christians at church that I play RPGs. But I also don't tell them I play video games, or that I watch anime or sci-fi. We still get along really well. We may not talk about as many different topics as my gamer friends.

I get what you're saying here.

Quote:
But I haven't actually seen or heard a fellow Christian knock RPGs since I was handed a Jack Chick tract outside the Miliwaukee Convention Center back the last year when GenCon was in Wisconsin. That was a long time ago. I didn't know those people. They didn't say anything to me. I ended up getting my own copy of the Blackleaf comic, which I thought was pretty cool

I've, for the record, haven't had much experience with Christians or well anyone getting down on RPG's.

Quote:
I don't have your experiences with people of my faith. I'm sorry they have hurt or judged or offended you. That's wrong. It isn't how Jesus wants us to live, it plain isn't right.

Just so we know I get you believe in what "Jesus" said, did or what you believe he said or did-but I do not. I'm not saying this gives me an open license to be a dick, or beat on you because you believe in something different from me. But I hope, and I believe you do realize that not everyone uses the same yardstick as you.

Quote:
But can we stop mocking my religion? Mock experiences with people, sure. But my faith? My beliefs? Back off.

I don't see it being too much of an issue that often. I'll mock...well everything. Because I don't take too much too seriously. I'm not a Christian, I strongly disagree with a lot, if not even more, of what Christianity does, and says. That said I don't think it's too much to ask for people not to be dicks. Besides we're here to discuss RPG's right?

Quote:
If you can't or won't back off, then this forum isn't for me. Which is a good thing to know.

I hope you're not specifically pissed at me, but if I've you're offended by my statements I hope you'll accept my apologies. I may not agree with someone theologically but beyond having a pretty boisterous sense of humor I try not to be a serious dick.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:33 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

And for the record I've never felt Gamers had to Fight Christians. Hare Krishnas? Maybe. Zombies? Definitely. LARPER's? With out fail.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:37 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

So the next Announcement will be Paul's a jerk? :D

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:25 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Fine I killed the place. (Of course it is a Saturday....:D)

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:21 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next