View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Gamers vs. Christians? 

Post Re: Gamers vs. Christians?
orklord wrote:
The past week on this forum has had two threads where Christians were mocked. You know what? That's okay with me. But also, the idea of Christianity was mocked. That's not cool to me.

This is not rpg.net, where all beliefs are protected from mockery and scorn, and thus no useful or interesting opinions about anything can be expressed.

If your faith is genuine, it can survive the mockery of a few random strangers online. I'm Jewish, make as much fun of it as you wish, I won't be hurt because my faith is stronger than a wet paper towel.

I suggest you take a teaspoon of cement with your weeties each morning for breakfast.
Quote:
All I'm asking is for you to talk about... I dunno. Maybe RPGs? That'd be nice.

Then start a discussion about rpgs. This reminds me of my workplace, it was recently renovated, not all the staff are happy with the changes, and who is complaining the most? The ones who do the least while on shift.

As Yoda said, do or no do, there is no whinge.

"Don't let yourself get too worried about all this talk about roleplaying [...] the ultimate object of all this is for everyone to have fun, not to recreate some form of high dramatic art." - Dungeoneer

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:28 am
Profile E-mail

Kyle Aaron wrote:
Then start a discussion about rpgs. This reminds me of my workplace, it was recently renovated, not all the staff are happy with the changes, and who is complaining the most? The ones who do the least while on shift.

As Yoda said, do or no do, there is no whinge.

So, in other words: "Don't whinge about others (even though I am). Instead you should post about the topics you want to talk about (even though I don't really do that, nor do I usually contribute to the threads that others start)". Did I get that right, Mr. Aaron? Was it also Yoda who said 'physician, heal thyself?'

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:31 am
Profile E-mail

Not at all, Thalaba.

I am not whinging about others, I'm simply mocking the whingers and reminding them there are out there (nominally) rpg forums dedicated to mollycoddling, where they might feel more comfortable.

I am not contributing to a lot of rpg threads, but I'm also not complaining about their absence. Each member of a forum gets to post content to try to make it more like the forum they want it to be. It's the same as a game group: if you're not happy with how things are, step on up and contribute. If you're happy, leave it be. But either way, don't whinge about it.

"Don't let yourself get too worried about all this talk about roleplaying [...] the ultimate object of all this is for everyone to have fun, not to recreate some form of high dramatic art." - Dungeoneer

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:56 pm
Profile E-mail

Hey Kyle, if my original post read to you like a whinge (which I had to look up to make sure I understood the word rather than assume based on context), then you read it as me crying in a fretful way or complaining. Upon reflection, that was my intent. I was offended at some recent posts, I decided to say something about it. I felt compelled to say something, I said something. I'm glad that I did.

I have posted numerous threads about gaming and will continue to do so, here and in other fora. I often contribute in a way to help make RPG Haven what I want it to be. But the forum has grown relatively quiet lately and I was worried that this was going to become a very uncomfortable place for me if the content became the RPG place where people randomly drop in blasphemous content to laugh at my religion.

I have no power to literally change the forum. That's perfectly cool with me. I do have a voice, just like every other registered member. I used it. I also have the ability to not come back. I don't want to do that unless there are no other options. I'm not asking to be mollycoddled (looked it up again, it means pampered, which is to be treated or gratified with extreme or excessive indulgence). I'm asking for the same respect for me as a person and my beliefs that I extend to every person on this forum (and if I ever misstep, I fully expect someone to call me on it).

I'd never have posted this on rpg.net or enworld. I don't really care about those fora. This one I like, the people on here are good folk. I wanted to complain, ask politely for what I wanted and state that if it didn't change, this place wasn't for me. Yes, I could have ignored the comments and posted RPG-related content I like. But I felt that would have been dishonest of me, that I would have effectively been ignoring the little bit of hurt that I felt when I read comments here that directly affronted my God. There are so many cesspools online, I ignore them, avoid them or just look the other way. I chose not to do that here for once. Maybe it was misguided or foolish. Time will tell, I guess.

Yes, Kyle, my faith is genuine. It will survive whatever happens on this forum. You're dead on about that. I don't have plans to add cement to my breakfast, though. I'll stick to my 42 Chocolate mini-wheats and a teaspoon of Jil Creamy Peanut Butter with a cup of skim milk like normal (delish).

In the end, I now feel like I'm grandstanding much more than I intended. Perhaps I should have stood my ground somewhere else, over some other offensive content. I hoped just a "hey guys, chill out on hating my God" would be a gentle point and we'd move on.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 am
Profile E-mail

I think we're all good. In a real life conversation we'd all be hoisting beers right now.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:33 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Dangit! I miss all the fun.
Just to be clear. I am a Christian. I am minor clergy in my church.

I second all that Orklord and Doomfistmonk have said herein.

Kyle pointed out that we are not "protected" from mockery and scorn as one would be on the Big Purple. Of that I am glad.
I like to think we behave, on the whole, like reasonable adults, and do not need such heavy handed censorship.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:58 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Can I be the Atheist Chaplain? No? What about just the guy who gets to put the dollar bills in all the strippers garter belts?

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

SeriousPaul wrote:
Can I be the Atheist Chaplain? No? What about just the guy who gets to put the dollar bills in all the strippers garter belts?

They need to make a living too.

As for the trolling:

I'm a Christian, I don't mind a little mockery but don't expect me to care about your opinions if that's the level of discourse someone falls to, they're not worth engaging in conversation.

Wed May 02, 2012 7:56 pm
Profile E-mail

I think the mockery should be in good humor, and spirits. I expect to be mocked if I make a fool of myself! But I do try to keep from being mean spirited. Except to Jim Skach. That son of a bitch deserves it! :lol:

Thu May 03, 2012 11:00 am
Profile E-mail WWW

SeriousPaul wrote:
What about just the guy who gets to put the dollar bills in all the strippers garter belts?

Maybe if you go back to your old avatar... :)

Fri May 04, 2012 8:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2