View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Ideas to get more traffic here 

Post Ideas to get more traffic here
I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I was wondering if there were any ways to get more people over here and posting.

For example, on my blog I have a link to this site.

this is a great site, and I am trying to think of ways to get more traffic to this site, because I think its a great site

Sat May 05, 2012 12:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Ideas to get more traffic here
I've mentioned it here recently on my blog, twitter and G+. Will be adding a banner link to here from my site here soon.

Don't know how well all that will work as forums seem to be on the decline a little bit as social media networks are starting to get used for the same purpose. Not to mention blogs as well.

Currently writing: the 'Be a Better Player' article series on my blog.
Currently running: Red Box D&D at an irregular basis.

Sat May 05, 2012 4:50 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

peteramthor wrote:
I've mentioned it here recently on my blog, twitter and G+. Will be adding a banner link to here from my site here soon.

That will help

peteramthor wrote:
Don't know how well all that will work as forums seem to be on the decline a little bit as social media networks are starting to get used for the same purpose. Not to mention blogs as well.

I don't know about that. I think social networks are a horrible way to communicate. Not to mention rpg.net and even therpgsite.com are doing well and they are keeping their traffic up.

I think the problem is that, unlike those two other sites this site doesn't provide as many features as other sites, which holds it back. Which is sad.

Sun May 06, 2012 10:51 am
Profile E-mail

TheRPGInformer wrote:
peteramthor wrote:

That will help

peteramthor wrote:

I don't know about that. I think social networks are a horrible way to communicate. Not to mention rpg.net and even therpgsite.com are doing well and they are keeping their traffic up.

I think the problem is that, unlike those two other sites this site doesn't provide as many features as other sites, which holds it back. Which is sad.

Should we switch to VBullietin?

Sun May 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Naked pictures of Bill....and squirrels...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Sun May 06, 2012 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
Naked pictures of Bill....and squirrels...

Jim wins the thread! Best idea... Evah

Sun May 06, 2012 7:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Thengel wrote:
Should we switch to VBullietin?

I don't think it's an issue with the forum software. But having game reviews, possibly chat room (there are a lot of nice java chat room software out there) would add to the site, and give people more reason to come back

Sun May 06, 2012 7:42 pm
Profile E-mail

We also aren't controversial in some way.

Sun May 06, 2012 9:10 pm
Profile E-mail

I think smaller forums have seen a slow down as GooglePlus has grown. Many of the RPG conversations I would have at a forum, I now have there.

Why? Not sure exactly, but unlike forums, my experience with G+ has been almost entirely positive.

Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 am
Profile E-mail WWW

I'm finding G+ more interesting than the fora I used before, including here. Now that Clash is updating his game devs on G+ I don't need to come here for them. I liked the AP reports thread, but it's dead now. One of the only reasons I still check back here is that G+ is blocked at my work and The Haven isn't.

When I first joined I was all on fire to share my love for indie story games with y'all, but you know what, it isn't worth the effort and wasn't doing anything other than making me sound like a hippie blowhard. I was doing lots of talking and not much listening, which is bad form. So I quietened down, wandered away, etc. I realized you guys like what you like, I like what I like. We don't often cross the street but we're in the same neighborhood, which is cool and all. But I'm not a great listener when the subject isn't what I'm into. Too many shiny things out there that catch my interest, ya know?

I keep checking back from time to time, engaging sometimes if something catches my interest. But The Haven is my "can check at work when bored" forum along with roludo.

To try and be more helpful, some things I would enjoy on here:

* Discussion of popular TV, movies, books, applying back to gaming, breaking down beats of story and talking about how you would mimic it in your game of choice
* Sharing of actual play snippets (not links outside the forum, just AP bits here in thread), documents created for use in games, links to inspirational music, stuff to help prep for or play games that aren't specific to the mechanics of that specific system

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Mon May 07, 2012 9:13 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next