View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Ideas to get more traffic here 

Post Re: Ideas to get more traffic here
Good. Bad. Ugly. Immoral. Illicit. Illegal. Yeah good times. Good times.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 am
Profile E-mail WWW

For the record on my blog I have a link to this forum suggesting that this is a great site to come to if you want to discuss role playing games.

In a few articles I also linked to this forum, so for anyone who goes to my blog (and the numbers have been rising) they will see a link to this forum.

That's what I am doing to get more traffic here.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:44 am
Profile E-mail

Post the site on Google+/Facebook. Invite people you know who want to talk about games.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:12 am
Profile E-mail

Silverlion wrote:
Post the site on Google+/Facebook. Invite people you know who want to talk about games.

That's not a bad idea. It seems to work pretty well and I am sure we could get more people over here if we did that.

Has anyone posted on other message forums (those who have forums that are add friendly or ads have their own section)

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:12 pm
Profile E-mail

TheRPGInformer wrote:
Silverlion wrote:

That's not a bad idea. It seems to work pretty well and I am sure we could get more people over here if we did that.

Has anyone posted on other message forums (those who have forums that are add friendly or ads have their own section)

We did for a while. Mostly you need to watch which forums you do this on (or wear your asbestos underwear).

Our facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/115594955192299/

Google+ I have not done much with.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:20 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Thengel wrote:
We did for a while. Mostly you need to watch which forums you do this on (or wear your asbestos underwear).

Our facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/115594955192299/

Google+ I have not done much with.

I do realize it can be tricky. As I said, I have added your site to our links to try to get people over here. I have run forums before and I know how hard it can be.

That's why on my blog I started to do forums and then quit before it got started because I just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:24 pm
Profile E-mail

The correct answer, and also the one that requires the most effort, is to personally network on other sites, fora, and any other online places to congregate. Nowadays, many sites frown upon members actively promoting their site. In essence, they are "stealing" bandwidth for their benefit and not the site they are posting on. I've owned several play-by-post sites in the past and I always advertised on roleplaying fora where there were no play-by-post activities going on, or they had specific rules or a forum allowing you to post threads pointing to your site. It was much easier in the "old days" of the internet, before there was a site for every niche you could think of. You could go on AOL chat and just spam your website in every room and get many a person to take a look. Now there's a lot of competition for the same niches.

If you can get a small group of people that post frequently and enjoy the site, there's really no reason to go on membership drives. Sometimes it can upset the chemistry. I'd only do it if I felt like there were old friends that are missing out or there's a lull in the action.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:05 pm
Profile E-mail

I agree...

...except, that apparently you need to network on those other sites by being a complete ass and making physical threats!

No wonder we're slow here....we're not doing it right...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Shaggy wrote:
The correct answer, and also the one that requires the most effort, is to personally network on other sites, fora, and any other online places to congregate.

I think you are right about this

Shaggy wrote:
Nowadays, many sites frown upon members actively promoting their site. In essence, they are "stealing" bandwidth for their benefit and not the site they are posting on. I've owned several play-by-post sites in the past and I always advertised on roleplaying fora where there were no play-by-post activities going on, or they had specific rules or a forum allowing you to post threads pointing to your site.

I can understand that. I have seen more then one forum where people have signed up and posted a link to their site, never to return. Or if they do return, they only post to add updates to what is going on with their site.

I get why sites wouldn't want to allow that. One thing you can do (and many people do it, including me) is have a link in your signature file. People see it and if they are so inclined, they will click on the link.

If not then they won't

Shaggy wrote:
If you can get a small group of people that post frequently and enjoy the site, there's really no reason to go on membership drives. Sometimes it can upset the chemistry. I'd only do it if I felt like there were old friends that are missing out or there's a lull in the action.

That is pretty much why I backed off the thread. I saw it wasn't going anywhere so I figured people liked this place just as it is.

I post here more then rpg.net because over at rpg.net you get lost in the crowd. I still post over there, but not as much. The chemistry here is better, with the exception of a couple people who I have on ignore which evens things out for me

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:29 am
Profile E-mail

I just thought of another idea.

It does help to send out newsletters to all your members from time to time reminding them to check out the forum again. I find that peoples' attention on the internet is fleeting. They might sign up for your forum today and forget about it by tomorrow. A nice reminder sometimes brings a few people back.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next