View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Ideas to get more traffic here 
Site Admin

Post Re: Ideas to get more traffic here
Everything I post here, I post on G+ as well, and I generally get far more response from G+ than here. Not that I will stop posting here!

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Mon May 07, 2012 9:21 am
Profile E-mail

I'm going to come right out and say that it could be a "friendlier" place as well. While I generally find these fora to be civil and interesting, there is sometimes a more-than-healthy level of snarkiness and there is very little applauding of others ideas. (Not a lot of "Man, that is so cool!" or "That sounds awesome, tell me more about it" kind of posts.)

That's my impression, take it or leave it. I will tell you that I joined this forum once a super long time ago (back when Ryan and WalkerP had just started RPGHaven) and I quickly left because no one was responding to my posts and the general tone was a bit threatening. I recently came back because of something Brad Murray and Clash posted on G+. (For the record. It seems a little better to me now than it was then.)

If you are boiling this down to advice, it's "Be nicer. Be welcoming. Be interested in others' ideas as well as your own."

Mon May 07, 2012 10:08 am
Profile E-mail

I think it's more of an issue with convincing people to stay, rather than getting them to join.

This conversation has certainly gone around more than once over the years. This is a general RPG forum, and this means that not everyone is interested in the same things. A general forum needs a certain critical mass of regular members responding to what people post and posting new material to stay vibrant. The Haven came close to having that once, I think, but as people weren't finding their discussion needs being met, they wandered off.

In my opinion, the only way a smaller forum like the haven can become vibrant is to serve a niche. There is already too much competition from the other generalist forums and google+ for the Haven to succeed as a general forum.

Mon May 07, 2012 10:29 am
Profile E-mail

orklord wrote:
I liked the AP reports thread, but it's dead now. One of the only reasons I still check back here is that G+ is blocked at my work and The Haven isn't.

I don't know how that can be, as I have posted 3 different actual play posts recently and I have updated them as sessions have been played

Mon May 07, 2012 11:59 am
Profile E-mail

MountZionRyan wrote:
I think smaller forums have seen a slow down as GooglePlus has grown. Many of the RPG conversations I would have at a forum, I now have there.

I think that may be true of forums where they have just message forums and that's all. They really don't have anything to really draw people in and keep people. I think that's why the forums that have forums, reviews, chat rooms, etc still do well

Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm
Profile E-mail

I come to forums where I can actually interact with people. I prefer them kind of small. I hate giant forums where everyone is just barraging the system with posts or fighting flame wars.

Mon May 07, 2012 12:36 pm
Profile E-mail

TheRPGInformer wrote:
orklord wrote:
I liked the AP reports thread, but it's dead now. One of the only reasons I still check back here is that G+ is blocked at my work and The Haven isn't.

I don't know how that can be, as I have posted 3 different actual play posts recently and I have updated them as sessions have been played

Sorry it wasn't clear... not sure what to call you since TheRPGInformer is even more silly a name than Orklord. I meant the little thread where people gave brief updates on cool stuff that happened in their game "this week". Also, you link off forum, which I just don't have the patience to follow. I meant more what I said in the later comments, "AP snippets".

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Mon May 07, 2012 12:46 pm
Profile E-mail

I thought about this thread most of the morning. I think Troy (doomfistmonk) hit it on the head with the culture here on the Haven. As I have gathered, many of the older members came from another larger forum, Circus Maximus or something, where people were pretty harsh on each other "all in good fun", seems like some of it bled onto interactions here without the underpinnings of everyone agreeing "hey, let's be jovially mean" to each other.

I came here because of the RPGHaven podcast, which was incredibly exciting and inviting. Then I got here and it hasn't matched that enthusiasm, really. I distinctly recall early on in my "woohoo, indie games solve all problems" phase on this forum that someone basically told me, STFU, dude, we play what we play.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Mon May 07, 2012 12:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

orklord wrote:
I came here because of the RPGHaven podcast, which was incredibly exciting and inviting. Then I got here and it hasn't matched that enthusiasm, really. I distinctly recall early on in my "woohoo, indie games solve all problems" phase on this forum that someone basically told me, STFU, dude, we play what we play.

There are a lot of people here who play one game and do not experiment. See the New Games thread.

The podcast, while excellent, focused almost entirely on the narr end of indie, and ignored the trad end, while the posters here at the time were more interested in the trad end if they were interested in indie games at all, which many were not. Now? Things are not the same.

-clash

Mon May 07, 2012 12:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

orklord wrote:
Sorry it wasn't clear... not sure what to call you since TheRPGInformer is even more silly a name than Orklord. I meant the little thread where people gave brief updates on cool stuff that happened in their game "this week". Also, you link off forum, which I just don't have the patience to follow. I meant more what I said in the later comments, "AP snippets".

I assumed no one was reading it, so I stopped posting. No one commented on games, just posted their own stuff. I am, of course, guilty.

-clash

Mon May 07, 2012 1:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next