View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
An "Other Discussions" forum? 

Post Re: An "Other Discussions" forum?
Against. Things are good here. We talk about games and game-related stuff. Other media is sufficient. A perfectly reasonable place to talk about music.

Tue May 05, 2009 7:10 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Thengel wrote:
On a more serious note, the topics that seem to not be covered by any location on the board right now are:
Politics
Religion
Philosophy
Current News

Sympathy for the Devil, covers all of this.....:shock:

Regards,
David R

Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 pm
Profile E-mail

David R wrote:
Regards,
David R

... and more. Much more. Hence my favorite song, ever.

Tue May 05, 2009 7:53 pm

David R wrote:
Thengel wrote:
On a more serious note, the topics that seem to not be covered by any location on the board right now are:
Politics
Religion
Philosophy
Current News

Regards,
David R

You might have a problem if you want to talk about Sympathy for the Devil from a "he should run for office" while being a religious icon with Nietchean beliefs as he received a new face transplant recently.

However, if you wish to discuss the song and other people's music choices, "other Media" is your gig.

Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

And perhaps some explanation is needed. I always found theRPGSite having a "Off Topic" to be a bit odd considering the primary complaint the Pundit had against RPGNet was Tangency. However, you will note, once it served its purpose, it has gone away. A method to grow a site's membership fairly quickly is to have as broad an appeal as possible. I am not sure that should be our goal here.

For me, I stop by Tangency once in a while but it really does not suit my view on the world so I do not use it much. I used off topic way too much on RPGSite. I would rather not see one here but I am open to what folks think.

Now, my hand is getting cold.

Tue May 05, 2009 9:39 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Ahem...umm..yes...just a moment...

As I was saying...no clash, Bill's lips are not moving...I never got into the whole RPGNet vs TheRPGSite thing because I was not one of the many refugees.

And I had my fair share of, uh, discussion, in the Off-Topic there.

But I have to say from an overall perspective, I prefer there not be one.

Now some might note that when this discussion was had elsewhere, I said there should be one. But that was because the owner of that site suggested that he would allow off-topic but only at his impetus.

Me, I think that sucks. If you don't get to start threads on, say, the swine flu mutating into H1Z1, why should I? Yeah, I'm part owner, but...there's something that don't sit right with me about that.

So...take away that, and I'm back to not having one. Though I am, as Bill says, open to hearing the perspective for one.

Ok..it's starting to hurt, Bill.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue May 05, 2009 10:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Thengel wrote:
You might have a problem if you want to talk about Sympathy for the Devil from a "he should run for office" while being a religious icon with Nietchean beliefs as he received a new face transplant recently.

However, if you wish to discuss the song and other people's music choices, "other Media" is your gig.

Nah, "other media" is just fine.....I still say it should be called "Medium Cool" but, other than that, I have no interest in an Off Topic section.

Regards,
David R

Tue May 05, 2009 10:58 pm
Profile E-mail

A place to discuss politics, religion and current events turns a focused forum into poison.

Yet, associated geekery that relates to the hobby (movies, anime, books) might be worth discussing, over in that Other Media.

But if Other Media becomes a place to talk about Current Events ("which I saw in the Media!"),then blarg. We'd probably see another influx of, oh, I dunno, let's just say Seattle shut-ins who want to stalk other forum board members and throw human feces on them. That kind of type.

-Andy

Wed May 06, 2009 9:27 am
Profile E-mail

Andy K wrote:
We'd probably see another influx of, oh, I dunno, let's just say Seattle shut-ins who want to stalk other forum board members and throw human feces on them.
I believe that was a shut-in from Montlake Terrace, a suburb outside of Seattle. (Or was it Mill Creek?) A fine distinction, I realise, but a matter of pride for some of us.

And, no, I'm against an "Off Topic" forum, too. RPG.net and TheRPGsite (at the very least) already fill that need adequately, if not admirably. We don't have to get testy or self-righteous about it with anyone, but the goals of this site are best served without the distraction of an Off Topic forum.

!i!

Wed May 06, 2009 10:56 am
Profile E-mail

It's alright. I didn't want to open a can of worms, really. Just a thought that came to me. :)

Wed May 06, 2009 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next