View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Request 

Post Request
I respectfully submit that there should be a separate forum for threads like this one. viewforum.php?f=2
Such threads are no more about gaming than threads in Other Media; actually they are less about gaming, and certainly less likely to lead to any gaming.
Thanks

Also, in the event that such a forum is created, is there some way to disable a particular forum from showing up when I hit the "View New Posts" button?

Thanks again.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Request
The link you used points to a sub-forum, not a thread. What type of thread do you have in mind exactly ?

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:05 pm

boulet wrote:
The link you used points to a sub-forum, not a thread. What type of thread do you have in mind exactly ?

This. we need specifics. Thanks.

Aos wrote:
Also, in the event that such a forum is created, is there some way to disable a particular forum from showing up when I hit the "View New Posts" button?

Thanks again.

I will look into it. It may take some coding. I am still noodling on how to show threads started by for a different request.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:15 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I'm guessing you are referring to the thread where we discuss Joe Goodman's post on 4e sales and then go on to talk about moderation policies at ENWorld.

If that is the case, I respectfully disagree. Talking about the hobby is part of the hobby. You don't have to read or participate in those threads if they upset you. My gaming is affected by what Wizards does and is even affected to some degree by what goes on at the larger fora. I also find it interesting.

Feel free to start more threads on actual gaming at the tabletop subjects to work on drowning out the meta-kerfluffle. I'll participate if they are of interest to me, which is highly likely.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Actually, on reflection, if a majority of posters find such threads to be so offensive that they don't want to see them in the Tabletop RPGs sub-forum, than I would be okay with an "Industry" sub-forum. I don't think it's necessary, but I won't be dead set against it either if there is a majority in favour.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:24 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I doubt the multiplication of sub-forums is the way to go. I wish there was (not just here but on other boards too) a little check box to set a thread on ignore. After all if a thread is annoying to user A, he had to start reading it to get to this realization, so it makes sense to have a feature where it's user initiative driven.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:33 pm

It was indeed the Goodman thread.

I'll say no more about it.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:41 pm
Profile E-mail

Speak up, Aos.

Yeah...that's right.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Meta Gaming forum, where we talk about that kind of stuff. It's difficult, I admit, because you run up against threads like werekoala's 4e first impressions that turns into...well...you know...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:42 pm
Profile E-mail

Aos wrote:
It was indeed the Goodman thread.

I'll say no more about it.

No, you should let us know. Perhaps others share your views but we wont know if you do not talk about it.

I think there is merit to an industry subforum as a place to discuss printing, industry gossip and freelancer calls.

My concern is more one of being such a small forum and making too many subforums that discussion will be come dispersed.

Personally, the way the Goodman thread has gone I have thought it might be "close" worthy.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Careful what you ask for...
I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one who thinks this way- which is fine. I don't want to silence anyone; neither do I want to read that stuff- and it seems like I'm always hip deep in one of these threads before I notice where it's going- which is odd, because, as far as I can tell, they all pretty much go same way. So I'm a dummy. No news there. But I'm a dummy asking for help.

Simply put, placing them in an area where I can't see them, allows me to go enjoy everyone's posts on other topics without thinking, "Oh yeah, this guy is that (chose meta-gaming hate-on/pet-peeve) tool. I wish he'd just shut the fuck up."

The thing is, these arguments rage across multiple websites- why do we need to do them here?
Not only that, but the same people are saying the same things they always say- I almost jumped in too, to say the same things I always say in these threads.
These threads are like arguments over abortion or gun control. They're not arguments- They are fucking zombie dialogues. Goodman's post just provided the "Brains... Brains... "

My request was an, admittedly selfish, attempt to remove myself from the process, or to extend my metaphor, to "Shoot it. Shoot it in the head!"

Last edited by Aos on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next