View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Separation of Church and State 

Post The Separation of Church and State
Greetings,

It's been subtly brought to my attention that my participation in certain threads and in certain ways could be seen as promoting a specific point of view for this here site.

First, let me thank you for bringing this to my attention. Though in this case, that had been in the back of my mind, I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities to provide positive input - many will be blind spots for me and I appreciate the advice.

Second, I want to be clear that very little I say or do is meant to imply, intentionally or otherwise, a "party line" for The Haven. When I'm in a thread, it's as a gamer like everyone else. I've put most thoughts of moderation and administration out of my head (even if I do agree with Bill that a recent thread here or there could be closed, I thought it silly in the long run). In fact, I can't remember the last time I looked at the Moderation or Administration Control Panels. If the rare event arrives that I feel the need to moderate or administrate, I'll make sure you all know it's a different thing. I'll do the infamous color change, or even have a completely different user for that stuff.

Third, and this is important IMHO (listen up Bill!), I will make every human attempt possible not do so in a thread in which I've exhibited the aforementioned non-official-just-another-poster behavior. To me, that's a conflict of interests. So I will rely on Bill to deal with situations he believes require action. Some of you might have realized that from a content perspective, Bill and I see each other as equals (he's far the superior on the technical side). It's an advantage of this place. So I fully expect that some day he will call me on it and I'll respect that. But don't be surprised if he does the same to you in a conversation and be assured that it will not be at my prompting if I'm a participant.

That's about it for now. This might open a new can of worms or not. Please feel free to point out flaws in the my thinking (please keep it limited to this subject for this thread) or ask any questions.

Thanks,
Jim

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:24 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: The Separation of Church and State
Well . . .

Jim Skach wrote:
Please feel free to point out flaws in the my thinking (. . .)

. . . since you brought it up . . .

Jim Skach wrote:
I will make every human attempt (. . .)

You might be the most inhuman human I've ever met.

:D

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:23 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Jim Skach wrote:
Greetings,

It's been subtly brought to my attention that my participation in certain threads and in certain ways could be seen as promoting a specific point of view for this here site.

Which threads and what exactly is this "specific point of view". I only ask because well, I may agree with it. IMO, you can promote whatever kind of POV you want for this site as long as you don't enforce it through moderation and such. I admit I'm not a regular poster, so I may be talking out of turn here.

Regards,
David R

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail

Nah, David. You're welcome as always.

Well, for example, take the 4e Impressions thread that werekoala started. It lay dormant for some time. Then a couple of posters took to each other. Then I came in - not in defense of one, but to chastise the other. Agree or not, I didn't want it to come across the wrong why.

And just for the record, I'm not out to create a site with a specific point of view on specific subjects. I'm more interested in getting the vibe right, which includes facilitating a lot of different discussion perspectives, than in being on some Warpath for Purity Among Gamers. Perhaps what I'm trying to say in this thread is to explain that there's a difference between that desire as an "owner" and my specific opinions that I, from time to time, make more than evident.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:05 pm
Profile E-mail

David R wrote:
Jim Skach wrote:
Greetings,

Which threads and what exactly is this "specific point of view". I only ask because well, I may agree with it. IMO, you can promote whatever kind of POV you want for this site as long as you don't enforce it through moderation and such. I admit I'm not a regular poster, so I may be talking out of turn here.

Regards,
David R

I'm with him.

Are you making money off this site?

Because if you're not being paid to be an impartial observer, then comment as you will...discuss your viewpoint, don't enforce your viewpoint.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:15 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

Tommy Brownell wrote:
David R wrote:
Jim Skach wrote:
Greetings,

Regards,
David R

I'm with him.

Are you making money off this site?

Because if you're not being paid to be an impartial observer, then comment as you will...discuss your viewpoint, don't enforce your viewpoint.

Oh god yeah. Bill and I are raking in the dough from this place.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be against it someday - but it's never been a priority for me; right now, it's all a charity thing (on Bill's dime for his servers! well, OK, a little form me for the domain). Unlike some other folks on the net, I'm not going to state one thing emphatically and then do another. Well, not without nudity and violence and prescriptions meds, anyway.

but you got it with your last one - I do try to discuss and I will do everything I can to not enforce. Which doesn't mean repercussion might not find you if we are in an argument - but it won't be from me.

Which makes me think it could be funny getting banned form my own site...

** Speaking of money, I am still thinking of getting a few shirts made for Gen Con with the "We Find People in the Alps!" slogan. Maybe they'll be a hit and we can sell them!

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
"We Find People in the Alps!"

Does this have to do with this?
If so mark me down for one.
(I'm a fan if you couldnt tell by the icon. :D )

Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:56 pm
Profile E-mail

Ronin wrote:
Does this have to do with this?
If so mark me down for one.
(I'm a fan if you couldnt tell by the icon. :D )

LOL Hilarious. :lol:

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Wow....good call, Ronin. Though our group member retold is as Find People in the Alps - or at least that's how we kind of twisted it. So now I'm kind of partial to that version...

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:21 pm
Profile E-mail

poor Otzi

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next