View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Thengel is no longer an Admin 

Thengel is no longer an Admin
Due to my behavior and the disapproval of the membership, as I have stated I would, I will be stepping down as an admin here.

Jim is now in charge of the site. Please be considerate of his time.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:36 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Thengel is no longer an Admin
Jesus...I haven't been out of town for 24 hours. WTF is going on?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
Jesus...I haven't been out of town for 24 hours. WTF is going on?

"Struggle for diversity" thread. Things got heated.

It's already cooling down with love vibes and everything.

My mod voice is red

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:16 pm
Profile E-mail

Apparently, there are people who need to read the Separation of Church and State thread. It needs to be clear that in teh same way an admin's authority should not be misused to bully someone into backing down, nor should it be used as an attempt to attain victim status - by claiming this is taking place.

When Bill or I desire to speak as an Admin, it will be clearly done as such. If not, we're just another person talking (typing), sometimes rather passionately, about RPG's (and related subjects).

I reject Bill's resignation.

Grow up, people, or I will be forced to get the belt and spank the lot of you when I get back from GenCon.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:32 pm
Profile E-mail

I read the thread, Jim, and I know that, personally.

It still doesn't make sense to me to just give up like that when we're having a heated argument between users of the board (and this includes you, Bill). Come on, we're going to argue from time to time. Shit hits the fan. We get cocky, yell a bit, but we don't want you to resign.

Come on, Bill. Reconsider. Please.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:18 pm

I took some time off to get a bit of distance as I was clearly very emotionally involved in the situation.

So first off let me say that I apologize for causing such a ruckus. The last thing I wanted to do was to upset the stability of this place. It's clear to me that my manner of writing infuriates some people. How it does so is totally opaque to me and I'm really not being disingenuous here. That being said, the evidence is before me that every time I really try to express myself online, I end up with a lot of people really angry with me.

At the same time, I refuse to struggle with trying to find wordings or approaches that won't piss people off. I'm 40 years old and have been pretty successful in my life by being true to myself and I especially refuse to restrict my language in my hobby.

However, I'm going to try and pull back a bit and not post so much on topics that seem to get heated. I really value this place and find a lot of great conversation here and I don't want to have the sick feeling in my gut I get when I get into online fights.

I can't promise how long it will last, because I too have passion about these things. But I'll try.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:21 am
Profile E-mail WWW

As to Bill's decision, I believe I understand his choice, though the abrupt manner in which it was done makes it seem very questionable.

From my dealings with him with arranging the podcast and the way he has handled much of the technical aspects of the forum, he is clearly an extremely capable and professional individual. My guess (and I don't know him personally) is that he is able to clearly separate what he considers his duties from his personal beliefs. I think his quick move to de-commission himself as admin is a testimony to this.

When we were arguing, I wasn't really concerned that he was going to pull any admin power on me. I found his position and particularly the vehemence and ferocity of his approach and language to be extremely bizarre, so it did make me actually doubt if he was going crazy or having some other issues going on. Which then did make me question just slightly my confidence in him as an admin.

And he makes the argument himself, when an admin is discussing issues of how we speak and the way we frame posts on the board, there is an implied imperative there, whether he or she wants there to be one or not.

But ultimately, I was taking his points as coming from one individual to another.

And ultimately, I think he's done a great job with this place and that everything has been going swimmingly from a moderation and administration perspective until now. And I don't think his actions in the diversity thread demonstrated in any way that that will change.

(switching out of talking about you in the third person here, Bill. My apologies.)

I think the pragmatic arguments already made and my confidence in your ability to separate your personal feelings, however strong, from your moderating role puts me in the camp of politely requesting that you change your mind, Bill, and reinstate yourself as an admin here. However, I do respect your personal position and will accept whatever you think is right.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:31 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]