View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Moderator Policy 

Post Re: Moderator Policy
Balbinus wrote:
Be Excellent to one another!...and...
Party on Dudes!

Is really all we need. Though shouldn't that be "Be excellent to each other" rather than one another?

I could not remember the exact phrase and I was suffering from google fatigue. There is only so much necrotic flesh one can google in a day...;)

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:15 am
Profile E-mail WWW

I'm not exactly sure how to quantify it in words but one of the sites that I frequent regularly and that seems to serve as a good (i.e., functional) model for self-moderation (or at least low moderator intervention) is Circvs Maximvs. Which, I guess, is a little ironic as that's where Nutkinland ---> Nothingland ---> theRPGsite came from :D

There is a lot of profanity there and there are a lot of strong personalities (and even some who likely hate one another) but there are not a lot of bannings* and there are not a lot of instances when a moderator or admin gets directly involved with a conversation. Moderation does exist but it's very "hands-off" when it comes to implementation (and not in a dishonest "We're going to tell you that we're hands off but if you ever disagree with us or express a point of view that we take exception to, you're getting silenced or shamed!" kind of way).

I've seen a handful of temporary bans, though the only one that I can immediately recall was handed out to a poster who used his ex-girlfriend's account to log into the "women only" private forum and pretended to be his ex in order to determine what the board's female posters thought of him. I think we can all agree that this probably deserved a temp ban. ;) For whatever reason, the moderation seems to work.

This system is probably not as loose as some would like it to be (i.e., it ain't 4chan) or as strict as others would like it to be (i.e., it ain't RPGNet) but the moderators are pretty good about not abusing their positions to quiet dissenting opinion or push certain points of view (truth be told, other than knowing that Scott/Rel enjoys playing Dread a whole bunch, I'm not sure I could offer any insight on mod/admin POV).

Now, all of that having been said, I have absolutely no idea why this works as well as it does. I just thought that I would mention it because it does, aopparently, work. Also, I should probably point out that the moderation at CM and ENWorld (despite being owned and operated by the same bunch of people) really cannot be compared — the primary reason that CM exists is as an alternative to ENWorld, both where moderation and focus of discussion are concerned.

[Edit: It just struck me that I didn't actually become aware of any moderator or administrator identities there due to action taken against posters but, rather, due to technical glitches or software upgrades that they were soliciting user input on.]

*In the two years that I've been posting there I haven't seen one. They didn't even ban the guy who was threatening to physically hunt down other posters, sue the site owner, hack the site's servers, steal and redistribute publisher IP, etc.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:38 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

If anybody cares what I think, my philosophy is that a site is owned by somebody and they can do what they like with it because they're paying. I'll go with the flow.

So if your site is run by a belligerent paranoiac with illogical lines of argument, I'll generally push things a lot more than if your site is run by a decent fellow who stays polite under fire.

I'd just like to say that I can take care of myself and I don't need moderators to protect me. One of the problems with CavScout at the RPGSite was that people just couldn't help themselves from trying to argue with him. Likewise Jackalope. Me, I avoided engaging CavScout and gave Jackalope a slapping every now and then (it's easy to slap anarchists). I watched people get into the same routine with one of those guys time after time.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail

droog wrote:
So if your site is run by a belligerent paranoiac with illogical lines of argument...

Who are you calling belligerent, mister?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:34 pm
Profile E-mail

Andy, obviously.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:36 pm
Profile E-mail

I'm with droog on this. I don't even think ignore lists are necessary any more.

Also in reference to Jdrakeh's post, I think the idea of gender specific subforums is a little creepy. But I'm not crazy about moderator only forums, either. I think the idea of a public forum is to be, you know, public.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Aos wrote:
Also in reference to Jdrakeh's post, I think the idea of gender specific subforums is a little creepy.

Well, it's a hidden forum, so if I hadn't told you about it, it wouldn't bother you ;) That said, I didn't mean for that to be any kind of a suggestion. I'm not crazy about the idea of hidden forums, either. For behind the scenes communication (which, as a former admin at a large-ish RPG forum, I can confidently say is sometimes necessary for legal reasons), you can use PMs or email.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:00 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

RE email and PMs- I agree.

Didn't CV have a rash of bannings right around the time NTL (where I used to post) died off?

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Aos wrote:
Didn't CV have a rash of bannings right around the time NTL (where I used to post) died off?

Possibly, though that was more than three years ago. In the past two years, as I state earlier, I've seen one whole banning. I gather that there were two shortly before I joined (both of which have since been rescinded).

Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:15 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

For all i know everyone from that batch was reinstated too. However, it kind of turned me off to the site, which is why i didn't follow the NTL exodus over there. I still get the happy birthday emial, though.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next