View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:07 am



Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
Moderator Policy 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:20 am
Posts: 166
Location: Colorado Springs
Post Re: Moderator Policy
Aos wrote:
For all i know everyone from that batch was reinstated too. However, it kind of turned me off to the site, which is why i didn't follow the NTL exodus over there. I still get the happy birthday emial, though.


Well, if you have a chance and find yourself in a forgiving mood, I absolutely suggest that you give it another go someday. Things change and, apparently, CM has. Like I said earlier, there was a recent run-in with a very disturbed individual who probably should have been arrested. . . and even he wasn't banned. :shock:

I think the only thing that CM does not do for me is focus on a broad range of games. I like Rolemaster, Basic D&D, The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Risus, etc. . . all stuff that falls outside the interest range of most CM posters (there are exceptions, of course, though they're exactly that).

That's why I'm here (well, and because somebody invited me). I've long hungered for a site with a self-policing community and an all-encompassing scope, while ditching any agenda to support/denigrate a certain type of game or playstyle. I sure hope theRPGhaven will be that site (it seems to be off to a good start).

You do need a 'win' smiley, though. :D

_________________
James D. Hargrove


Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:59 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:19 pm
Posts: 2102
Location: Montréal, Québec
Post Re: Moderator Policy
Quote:
a site with a self-policing community and an all-encompassing scope, while ditching any agenda to support/denigrate a certain type of game or playstyle.

Well put. Exactly what I would like in a gaming forum as well. So far, so good.

What are the games of focus on CM?

_________________
despicable, vile, little worm and rabid defender of the podcast category
----------------------
This month on the RPG Haven Podcast: VSCA - The Diaspora Crew.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 472
Post Re: Moderator Policy
droog wrote:
I'd just like to say that I can take care of myself and I don't need moderators to protect me. One of the problems with CavScout at the RPGSite was that people just couldn't help themselves from trying to argue with him. Likewise Jackalope. Me, I avoided engaging CavScout and gave Jackalope a slapping every now and then (it's easy to slap anarchists). I watched people get into the same routine with one of those guys time after time.


True. But I'm not really invested in the concept of free speech and all that other stuff. Before cavscout and Jackalope showed up, there was plenty of fiesty discussions in OT. They turned it into a dump. And cavscout was basically trolling threads in the rpg section when he was banned from OT. I have no problem with banning posters like them. However this is the Bill and Jim show, so they can do whatever they think best for this site.

Regards,
David R

_________________
Ben Harper: What religion do you profess, preacher?
Rev. Harry Powell: The religion the Almighty and me worked out betwixt us - Night of the Hunter alluding to the nature of GMing.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:17 pm
Profile E-mail
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:52 pm
Posts: 1356
Post Re: Moderator Policy
One of the problems I had with CM was that it did not seem to have much focus on any games. It seemed a bit...like Tangency without the mods. That might be a dirty word for some but it is not to me, it just isn't my thing. Now, I will admit my posts there are some many years out of date so it could well be a different place.

As to RPG Haven, and realize I am just 1/2 of the owner here, for my part, I am not doing this for revenge. I am not doing this for my ego or career. I AM doing this so I have a place to talk about games. That is all. I do not need to talk about politics. I do not need to talk about people who need vibes. I do not care if you tell free form stories under a loose collaborative framework or if you are the most rigid adherent to the rules of wargames. As long as you are interested in constructive discussion this should be the place for you. Whether "constructive" is the joking around talk that you would find after a game or a deep discussions on how to design games.

As to moderation, I am willing to learn from what folks like in other forums. I will not make blanket claims of "Free Speech" or base this community on artificial divides or hating those "we, the polis" see as enemies. The farthest I would go in this direction is to promise to always listen to concerns, to discuss them openly and honestly.

As to bannings, I do think we will have some. I hope to keep them to a minimum but I, again just for my part, will not sit by and read a 100 or more posts of "Nuh-huh, you suck". I will tell the TWO participents to stop. If either of them choose to do so, they win. This is not constructive conversation IMO. However, if anyone want to call a person on that, it is not just Jim and me, anyone in the community can. Also, if you think Jim or me are making a bad call, then say so, in public or PM and I will, for my part, listen to your argument. I might ask you to take it out of the thread to keep derailment to a minimum but I think that is reasonable.

In the end, I have not seen anything in this thread that varies from what I am thinking for the Haven. It boils down to, "If you want to talk about games, any games, then this is your place" and "Be excellent to each other".

Am I off here? Is this a "vibe" people can get behind? Jim?

_________________
Morality, good and evil, comes from man, not gods.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:32 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:52 pm
Posts: 1356
Post Re: Moderator Policy
David R wrote:
True. But I'm not really invested in the concept of free speech and all that other stuff. Before cavscout and Jackalope showed up, there was plenty of fiesty discussions in OT. They turned it into a dump. And cavscout was basically trolling threads in the rpg section when he was banned from OT. I have no problem with banning posters like them. However this is the Bill and Jim show, so they can do whatever they think best for this site.

Regards,
David R

David,
I cannot speak for Jim here but I do nto want this to become one guys call. I understand we need an executive to take action but I would like anyone who questions a banning to feel free to discuss it...or not if that is there choice. The last thing I want is a feeling that we are saying Community when we me "Ego stroking exercise".

_________________
Morality, good and evil, comes from man, not gods.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:35 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:20 am
Posts: 166
Location: Colorado Springs
Post Re: Moderator Policy
walkerp wrote:
Quote:
What are the games of focus on CM?


Mainly D&D (3.5 and 4e), as well as d20/OGL. A few posters are really into Dread (the one that utilizes a Jenga tower), diaglo is the biggest fan of OD&D (1974) who you will ever meet, and there is occassionally some discussion of Traveller, GURPS, and HERO, as well. I can count most of the people interested in those games on one hand, however.

Circvs Maximvs was one of four forum sites initially intended to replace the abandoned Nothingland (the other three sites being Happy Ordnance, Kaytastrophe, and theRPGsite). Nothingland itself was a relaunch of Nutkinland, which was one of two sites descended from Eric Noah's Unnofficial 3rd Edition News Site (the other site being ENWorld).

Of the four sites initially launched to replace Nothingland, Circvs is the most closely linked to ENWorld (it is owned by the same person, though has it own moderation staff), thus the strong ties to D&D/d20 gaming. The Family Tree explains better than I can (explore the rest of the wiki at your own risk).

_________________
James D. Hargrove


Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:42 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:20 am
Posts: 166
Location: Colorado Springs
Post Re: Moderator Policy
Thengel wrote:
One of the problems I had with CM was that it did not seem to have much focus on any games. It seemed a bit...like Tangency without the mods. That might be a dirty word for some but it is not to me, it just isn't my thing. Now, I will admit my posts there are some many years out of date so it could well be a different place.


I should have clarified that CM is not exclusively a "games" forum. It does have a sub-section devoted to games that is heavily travelled (which is the primary reason that I post there). As I allude to above, however, it's pretty narrow in focus. That said, it doesn't mean that lessons learned there can't be applied elsewhere.

The community is responsible to itself, for the most part. I mean, guys like myself and Wil Upchurch or Darrin Drader can (and do) go a few rounds in one thread but we all know it's a forum and can have civil conversations elsewhere. There are mods and they do ban/suspend people. Just not very often. Because they don't have to. :)

The mod policy isn't a "Do whatever you want!" kind of policy, it's more a "We think you're old enough to act like adults, so we'll trust you to do that — but if you can't, we'll give you a time out accordingly." policy. ;)

_________________
James D. Hargrove


Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:19 pm
Posts: 2102
Location: Montréal, Québec
Post Re: Moderator Policy
Thengel wrote:
Am I off here? Is this a "vibe" people can get behind? Jim?


I'm behind it 100%.

And jdrakeh, thanks for the history lesson. It's really quite fascinating how these things evolve. I'll check out that link.

_________________
despicable, vile, little worm and rabid defender of the podcast category
----------------------
This month on the RPG Haven Podcast: VSCA - The Diaspora Crew.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:59 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 472
Post Re: Moderator Policy
Thengel wrote:
David,
I cannot speak for Jim here but I do nto want this to become one guys call. I understand we need an executive to take action but I would like anyone who questions a banning to feel free to discuss it...or not if that is there choice. The last thing I want is a feeling that we are saying Community when we me "Ego stroking exercise".


I understand but really, I'm kinda of burnt out on "public consultation" type threads. Call me an optimist but wankers like the kind mentioned are easy to spot and since there has been no big talk of free speech and such, I doubt anyone here will engage in obtuse ideological discussions about mod practice if action needs to be taken or is ever taken.

Regards,
David R

_________________
Ben Harper: What religion do you profess, preacher?
Rev. Harry Powell: The religion the Almighty and me worked out betwixt us - Night of the Hunter alluding to the nature of GMing.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:10 pm
Profile E-mail

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:16 pm
Posts: 2855
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Post Re: Moderator Policy
Thengel wrote:
Am I off here? Is this a "vibe" people can get behind? Jim?

Huh? What? Did someone say something? :shock:

Here's the thing, guys...Bill and I have not a a private word about this. Can you believe that? Not one PM that I recall. Not one post in any hidden forum. All out in the open.

Now that wasn't by design, it was just the way things went; I think partially because, as Bill points out, this isn't about any revenge or competition or adherence to "Free Speech" or anything. It's always been,for me, a place where a..how shall we say...steadier hand operates the helm.

And I think the fact that there's two of us, with different opinions but respect for each other, actually works to our advantage. I know if Bill came to me and said "Jim, I think that was a bad call," I'd listen. And I think the reverse is true.

So far, I've seen a lot of respect for people who play very different games and others who have preferences different than the poster's. I think that's going to be the key.

For my part, I can't promise anything - except that I'll do my best to be fair, to allow as much conversation as possible, and to focus moderation on places it's needed (like obvious trolling and derailments). So have it, boys and girls.

_________________
The rules are my slave, not my master. - Old Geezer

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon


Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.