View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
[Monsters and Other Chidlish Things] First Session 

Post [Monsters and Other Chidlish Things] First Session
Last night, I sat down with my wife after I got home from work and we played some one-on-one Monsters and Other Childish Things. She'd created a 9 yr old girl named Amelia with relationships with her best friend named Luma and her dog named Gravel.

My prep for the game was to print out one of the NPCs in the book that caught my eye, a girl named Lucy Awai with a giant flying shark monster. Plus, reading most of the book.

I started off asking questions about Amelia. Turns out she is a latch-key kid, so is Luma. Luma's family is from India and Amelia befreinded her when she first arrived in the US a year ago. The game is set in Wisconsin. Amelia and Luma's moms let them stay together after school until one of them come home. As we're talking about what they do at home, I suggest, "Hey, instead of setting this now, why don't we set it when we were kids? Let's set it in the eighties." My wife readily agreed and the game started humming along. We joke about what clothes they are wearing, what music they are listening to, that Luma and Amelia are playing MASH (some dice and paper game that girls played? I'm still unsure, but my wife ate it up).

Amelia's hair barret starts buzzing gently. My wife had decided that her monster, Flooby (a giant anthropomorphic daisy), hid as her barret. So she heads to the bathroom and Flooby hops out to tell her that his spider-sense is tingling (Flooby is fascinated with crime scenes and investigations, so I have him talking like a David Caruso wanna-be). He tells her there is another monster nearby. Then the doorbell rings.

Luma and Amelia spend a few minutes whispering about opening the door and then they hear the voice of a girl on the other side, saying "I'm bored, I know you're in there. Can you come out and play?" Amelia recognizes the voice as Lucy. This is where I tie
in the Good Thing on Amelia's character sheet that there was a new girl at school and Amelia secretly left a flower for her. Lucy is the new girl.

Amelia and Luma skulk up stairs (wifey blows the sneaking roll) and peer through the blinds down to the door, but Amelia sees a huge black eye staring at her through the window. After some time talking back and forth, my wife decides that if Amelia was nice
enough to give Lucy a flower and nice enough to have befriended Luma, she would suck it up and go talk to Lucy. She tells her dog Gravel (what breed is he? Oh, he's a golden retriever) to grab his leash and the three of them open the door.

Lucy stands outside, a girl with a deep tan and exotic features wearing stonewashed cutoff jeans and a light jacket (even though it is summertime in WI). What followed was an awkward conversation between Amelia and Lucy where Lucy reveals she somehow knows that Amelia secretly gave her the flower and then Amelia sees a huge flying shark circling her chimney. The conversation runs a bit long and I end up telling my wife that if she doesn't want to invite Lucy in, that's fine. Its obvious that Lucy isn't reading
the signals that she should leave and Amelia's barret is buzzing like crazy.

Lucy sulks a bit about how cold it is, how she misses the ocean and her friends. Amelia assures her there are lots of pools and lakes. Lucy points out the lakes don't have waves for surfing, so Amelia suggests waterskiing, which Lucy thinks about. Then Amelia tells Lucy about how a group of her friends are going cosmic bowling and explains what cosmic bowling is. She tells Lucy she has to go back inside (Gravel has done his business) and Lucy finally leaves.

It was late by this time in real life, so we ended there.

Reflections:
* Monsters and Other Chidlish Things was written with the idea of pretty much young boys with monsters that fight each other. I know there ARE girls in the book, but really, its full of the unruly boy vibe. Running this for a girl third grader who likes pools
because they are cleaner than lakes and is a latch-key kid and has a best friend who doesn't know anything about her monster is very much different than the book. Its an interesting challenge.
* I like playing Luma. She's a sharp kid and I get to channel some of the nice Indian people I work with along with a hunt of Baljeet, a character from Phineas and Ferb, a show I watch with my son all the time.
* I like juxtaposing the normal Luma with the hare brained caricature of Flooby, who constantly points out inane made-up statistics and makes dramatic observations, all the while nervously wondering how he'd do in a fight with Amakua, that honking big shark.
* Since my wife and I had to find a new home for our dogs when our son was very young and evidenced an allergy to pet dander, having a regular old dog in the game is freakin sweet. We would throw in little bits that the dog would do that reminded us of the dogs we had back in the day.
* Setting it in the eighties was the real hook for us, I think. My wife said she had a great time afterwards. We plan on playing a bit more tonight.
* The actual mechanics of rolling a bunch of d10s, looking for matches, is easy. I need to work on setting difficulties that make sense and I need to do a full on conflict to see how things work together, though.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:03 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: [Monsters and Other Chidlish Things] First Session
MaOCT is quite high in my list of games I want to play. Especially the Candlewick Manor variant... I hope you'll share more AP as it goes!

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:16 am

orklord wrote:
(Flooby is fascinated with crime scenes and investigations, so I have him talking like a David Caruso wanna-be). He tells her there is another monster nearby. Then the doorbell rings....

Nice.

What's this game about ?

Regards,
David R

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:59 pm
Profile E-mail

@David: are you asking about Monsters and Other Childish Tings or Orklord's game?

I'd be curious to know what Orklord and his wife wanted to explore with MaOCT which can be used for very different styles of play (from pokemon-like games to tween freak shows or even War of the Buttons remake).

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:55 pm

boulet wrote:
@David: are you asking about Monsters and Other Childish Tings or Orklord's game?

I'd be curious to know what Orklord and his wife wanted to explore with MaOCT which can be used for very different styles of play (from pokemon-like games to tween freak shows or even War of the Buttons remake).

Now that you mention it, boulet, both. MaOCT and orklord's game.

And of course now I want to see, La Guerre des boutons .

Regards,
David R

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:44 pm
Profile E-mail

This one was nice too. Stimulating your cinema curiosity makes me a happy geek :D

From the website:
Quote:
Have you ever secretly wanted to be best friends with a magical unicorn? His name would be Dewdrop, and he would talk to you with his thoughts, and he would carry you on his back away from bullies and parents and kids who don’t get you, and you’d have such wonderful adventures!

This game is pretty much like that. Except — well, Dewdrop is a little scary.

MaOCT is standing in between trad' and forgie design. Drawing your personal monster as part of chargen looks kickass! It's got elements like relationships that should lead to very character driven games but it's still very traditional in the way that it doesn't prescribe a narrow style of play. Actually after reading the game I had an after taste of "there's lots of fun in this book but I'm not sure what I want to do with it"

Candlewick Manor helps answering the question: it's a variant of the game with a 1920ish orphenage atmosphere where children are different and try to figure out their past. Very elegant and appealing game of mysteries, flashbacks and self-discovery. Too many NPCs to handle maybe. It's a bit like MaOTC meets Call of Cthulhu.

Definitely a game that benefits from a clear premise before play, like you and your group(s?) seem to be very good at defining when you start a campaign. Otherwise I would fear some kitchen sink wanderlust.

Sorry, it's late, baby is having a rough mucusy night and I have a hard time explaining better :)

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:05 am

boulet wrote:

David R wrote:
Now that you mention it, boulet, both. MaOCT and orklord's game.

Sorry for the delayed response, fellas.

What did we want to explore? Great question. We didn't really have that conversation beforehand. From what I'm seeing in play, she's exploring aspects of her own childhood.

I'm trying to get a grasp of the game before I review it on Voice of the Revolution, mostly. I've had trouble figuring out what to do with it from reading it only. She made her PC, I listened, helped her make her monster and we just jumped in and started playing.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:16 pm
Profile E-mail

I forgot to explain the typical type of character interactions/scenes that the system propose:
- children monsters fighting one another. They're all supposed to be kind of belligerent to one another, even between monsters belonging to friends.
- children getting complications because of their monsters urges. Every monsters have them and they're supposed to be chosen in such a way that they should bring complications.
- children trying to solve mysteries, fight back bullies or taking challenges beyond their capacities with their monsters assistance or using the system bonus brought by relationships.
- children having to spend quality time with people they have relationship with after said relationship got damaged.

So there's tension already built inside the game between the kids desire and ambitions, the care they should take of their close ones and the general mayhem monsters bring into the world by just being there.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks for the info, boulet. Sounds interesting but I don't think it's something my crew would be into. I've always wanted to run parallel horror campaigns where in one the PCs investigate an incident that happened to a group of kids and in the other the players assume the role of the children...I intrigued by the Candlewick varient.

Hope you post other sessions if you run any orklord.

Regards,
David R

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:40 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]