View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
[Monsters and Other Chidlish Things] Second Session 

Post [Monsters and Other Chidlish Things] Second Session
Last night, I sat down with my wife after I got home from work and we continued our one-on-one Monsters and Other Childish Things game. She continued playing 9 yr. old Amelia with her pet monster, the giant anthropomorphized daisy flower called Flooby.

Highlights:
* We'd agreed we would test out the combat system, so the game began with Amelia walking with Floobyin the long parking lot to the bowling alley. Amelia had arranged for a girls' night out of cosmic bowling and had invited her bff Luma and the new girl Lucy (who has a flying shark monster named Amakua). As Amelia crossed the lot, Floobyasked her why her mom is always working and why she had to drop them off for bowling and leave. Amelia sighed.

* Tommy, the older brother of one of the girls Amelia invited to cosmic bowling, hops out from behind a car. Tommy and his monster Flytrap Joe had tussled with Amelia and Floobyfrom time to time, the four didn't like each other. Tommy started hurling insults and Amelia ended up taking a couple hits before she used Floobys poisonous gas power to knock Tommy back and pushed her way past him, running to the safety of the bowling alley.

* Once inside, Amelia ran to her friends who were waiting: Luma, Lucy, Lindsey (Tommy's little sister) and Krista (who's mom was the chaperone). Amelia told them that Tommy was outside and Lindsey got angry and left to go yell at him, still wearing the bowling shoes. Amelia went to pick out a bowling ball with Lucy, explaing to her the bowling shoe rental and process of picking out your own ball while Lucy complained about how cold it was.

* The girls ate pizza, drank a pitcher of pepsi and bowled. Amelia noticed that while Lucy had never bowled before, she picked it up quickly and while the girls were giggling and chatting, Lucy would sit quietly and stare at bowlers, then mimic them until she got a few strikes. Meanwhile, Krista's mom sat in the back playing a handheld Coleco football game (remember, this is set in the 80s).

* During a bathroom trip ("did Amelia go alone?" my wife asks, "nine year old girls, hon, you know they go in groups" I answer), Amelia talks to Flooby who tells Amelia that Lucy's monster needs to be taught a lesson and the two should throw down. Whispering, Amelia points out that Luma is in the bathroom, too, and promises they can talk about it later. Flooby grudgingly agrees, but advises that shark needs to be taught a lesson.

* Cosmic bowling ends and Amelia has a heart to heart with Lindsey about her big brother. Lindsey complains that her brother is mean for no good reason, Amelia assures her that brothers and sisters fight when they're kids, but they get along when they're older, but Lindsey doesn't seem to buy it. The troup piles into Krista's mom's 70's style panel van, complete with a fin on top, shag carpet and an 8-track player with "Afternoon Delight" stuck in it and playing over and over. Lindsey is dropped off at her house, which is clean but in a rough part of town, then Krista's mom drops Lucy at her house, but the lights are off. Amelia asks Lucy if she wants to stay at her house until their parents get home, she agrees.

* With the sounds of Afternoon Delight fading with the van pulling out, Amelia and Lucy head to Amelia's house. Lucy tells Amelia she's glad that her shark monster Amakua beat up Flytrap Joe earlier in the week so it was easy for her monster to beat him at the bowling alley. Amelia offers her a pepsi and while in the kitchen, Flooby pops out of hiding and paces around, upset that Lucy was insulting the both of them. He demands satisfaction. Amelia tells her monster that it all a misunderstanding and she will smoothe it over and Flooby grudingly agrees to wait but only after he gets a promise for a fight soon. Amelia heads back in to introduce Lucy, who has no TV in her house, to the wonders of MTV - music television. The two talk about when they first got their monsters, there's this surreal bonding moment, it was nice. After a couple hours of vegging out, the front door opens... and we end the game ("Is it Amelia's mom?" she asked "Wait till next time" I answer with a grin).

Reflections
* The combat takes a bit to wrap your mind around (who goes first? No no, you aren't going, you declare your intentions, then we both roll then we compare matches to see who did what first and then it shakes out after that). But once you do, it is really fast. The fact that each die match means several different things is a neat way to read a result, something I haven't see since Don't Rest Your Head.

* I had Tommy throw some insults at the beginning of the fight and wow, that was really effective. It hurts the kid AND the monster at the same time. It really rewards social combat, makes it more effective than slinging punches, actually.

* The creation of Lindsey and Krista happened organically. My wife mentioned she invited other kids, I had her roll six dice and for every match, one of the girls showed besides Luma and Lucy. I'd already planned on using Tommy in the parking lot at the outset, so I just made his little sister Lindsey, the NPC my wife named. Krista became this cute little daughter of a couple nerds, which led to the mom being the chaperone and her sitting in the back playing the old handgeld Coleco footbal (the one with lines for players, ever seen/played it? It was the bomb back in the day).

* My wife dug how the mom was "there but not there" and the van from the 70s. It was interesting to throw in random flavor bits to the world. I enjoyed playing the alien NPC of Lucy, girl from Hawaii who is always cold in Wisconsin, doesn't have a TV, a bit of a tomboy, never been bowling, doesn't spend much time indoors, has a matter-of-fact air of cockiness about her monster. Luma became a girl with money, she paid for the pizza and pitcher of pepsi. But she doesn't try to buy friends, the girls all pitched in to pay for the shoe rental and the lane. Lindsey only had a dollar to throw in, the other girls covered for her without making it a big deal.

* The highlight of the session was the growing tension between Flooby and Amelia and Lucy. Amelia is intrigued by Lucy and ignores her veiled insults of her monster, but she continue to try and placate her monster against the hurts against him. This is subtly bubbling over...

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: [Monsters and Other Chidlish Things] Second Session
Did any relationship get some mechanical use? Was there any damage in the process?

I'm not surprised you too could revel in some good old childhood nostalgia. I wonder how it would work for me, a frenchie, if I was to play the game with Americans. I'm afraid we would run short of common childhood references except for a few cartoons and tv series.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:28 pm
Site Admin

This is very interesting - especially the social combat being possibly more dangerous than actual combat. I like that. You two seem to be spawning off a lot of kids there. Who plays who? Or rather, who is a PC and who is an NPC? Does it really matter with this setup?

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:41 am
Profile E-mail

@boulet, you know, she didn't put a relationship at risk in the monster fight. The fight went a couple rounds then she ran into the bowling alley and I wasn't yet comfy with having a knock down monster fight in the middle of a bowling alley. In hindsight, it would have been pretty cool, though.

As for playing the game, MaoCT is really not built around the idea of playing during the timeframe of your own childhood, it's a wrinkle we threw in. Funny enough, I went to my Netflix queue today and put the TV show Freaks and Geeks at the top so I could catch some more 80s nostalgia.

@clash, my wife plays Amelia and I technically play everyone else. But, when the NPCs are introduced, I ask questions about the NPCs she suggests so I get a handle on them or I say, "there's another girl at the party, what's her name? What's she like?" and then I roll it into the story. But basically she plays Amelia and during action sequences, she plays her monster Flooby.

I hope to play again this weekend. My wife got a root canal today so I cannot say for sure when we'd play again, though. I want to push some buttons and see the mechanics when she is forced to put relationships at risk.

By the by, the latest episode of the Voice of the Revolution podcast came out last night (because I hit the publich now button in libsyn, that's why) and in it, I review MaoCT. I fear its terribly rambly, but hits the highlights. I go off at the mouth about games sometimes, its something I'm working on. Any feedback on how to make the game reviews more useful/interesting would be great.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

orklord wrote:
@clash, my wife plays Amelia and I technically play everyone else. But, when the NPCs are introduced, I ask questions about the NPCs she suggests so I get a handle on them or I say, "there's another girl at the party, what's her name? What's she like?" and then I roll it into the story. But basically she plays Amelia and during action sequences, she plays her monster Flooby.

I hope to play again this weekend. My wife got a root canal today so I cannot say for sure when we'd play again, though. I want to push some buttons and see the mechanics when she is forced to put relationships at risk.

OK - cool. It wasn't clear to me if she were actually playing some of the other characters or not. Either way would have been interesting, but I was curious. :D

-clash

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail

flyingmice wrote:
OK - cool. It wasn't clear to me if she were actually playing some of the other characters or not. Either way would have been interesting, but I was curious. :D

-clash

Clash, if my wife was into the idea of playing multiple characters, I would love it. But she prefers getting behind the eyes of a single PC. She's also less enamoured with the narrative elements of some games I like. She wants to react to situations and characters and generate plot throguh her character.

Lucky for me, I enjoy the challenge of juggling NPCs in scenes.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:48 pm
Profile E-mail

orklord wrote:
As for playing the game, MaoCT is really not built around the idea of playing during the timeframe of your own childhood, it's a wrinkle we threw in.

I'm not sure what you meant here. To me MaOCT (without any supplement) looks quite agnostic about the setting. It seems like it should be set in the XXth century on the North American continent if you want to stick with the color of the core book but I really can't remember it pushing much for a specific setting. What did you read there that I didn't?

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:56 pm
Site Admin

orklord wrote:
Clash, if my wife was into the idea of playing multiple characters, I would love it. But she prefers getting behind the eyes of a single PC. She's also less enamoured with the narrative elements of some games I like. She wants to react to situations and characters and generate plot throguh her character.

Lucky for me, I enjoy the challenge of juggling NPCs in scenes.

Yeah - some folks are uncomfortable with multiple PCs. That is why Troupe play is entirely optional in SC3. As for the narrative stuff, I'm with her - understand completely. :D

-clash

Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:23 pm
Profile E-mail

I just realized I titled this thread "Chidlish" instead of Childish... darn you stupid dislexic fingers!!!!

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]