View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Warriors, come out to play... 

Post Warriors, come out to play...
Background: My son started reading the Warriors series a while back. Then we found out that there was a Warriors Adventure Game...and it was free! So my son, who is manic once he gets the scent, started reading.

While we were playing through the D&D Starter Set Players Guide, he questioned whether I liked playing or running games. I told him I liked both but wondered why he wanted to know (he's always got an angle). Sure enough, he wanted to know if I'd play in a Warriors game. We had talked about it before and it was always discussed as if he'd play. I think he got tired of waiting and decided he'd run it himself. In fact, if I have my information correct, he's been recruiting at school to get his own game going.

So, I promised after D&D we'd play Warriors. He asked if we had chips of some kind because you use them in the game. I used this as a reason to get to Games Plus where we purchased some small plastic chips of three different colors (and, uhh, some dice for the kids and..oh..look at that...they've got Gamma World).

We returned and started playing later in the evening after an early dinner. My son had been working with all of us in the previous couple of days to create our characters. He'd found a site to customize the cat picture and everything. So we were pretty well set to go:
Attachment:
CIMG1108.jpg
CIMG1108.jpg [ 260.98 KiB | Viewed 6377 times ]

From the top clockwise are my lovely wife, my son CDawg, and my daughter, Storm. CDawg got the chips ready and handed them out:
Attachment:
CIMG1109.jpg
CIMG1109.jpg [ 251.56 KiB | Viewed 6377 times ]

Then we started to talk a bit about our cats and what they were like. Note the binders my kids had made for their characters, pictures, etc.
Attachment:
CIMG1110.jpg
CIMG1110.jpg [ 258.92 KiB | Viewed 6377 times ]

So my son started to read us the information.
Attachment:
CIMG1111.jpg
CIMG1111.jpg [ 262.44 KiB | Viewed 6377 times ]

Now, to back up a bit: I didn't want to over power my son. He seemed to really want to do this, so I didn't want to run the game for him or overshadow his efforts. So I didn't read the rules or the practice mission or anything. I came at it simply as a newbie player. This was both good and bad.

It was good because it did keep me from getting to leaderish during the game. It left me only being able to give general advice (watch how you play GMPC's, you can't joke about killing your sisters character off, you don't have to follow the adventure - make up whatever you want, adjust difficulties if you feel you need to, etc.).

It was bad because I could not rescue him. As a parent I do like to give him his freedom in certain respects (like this one) and find his way. But I would have been better served to work more on controlling my...control...so if I needed to I could help with rules issues.

So Storm did get upset because her cat Misty was bitten by a snake which she felt was her brother singling her out. We did end up finding out what the chips were for but only half way through the game when it might have helped earlier. Combat was a bit sketchy, but it ended up working out - even my wife's cat, who was a weak little thing, killed one of the snakes!
Attachment:
CIMG1118.jpg
CIMG1118.jpg [ 268.89 KiB | Viewed 6378 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG1119.jpg
CIMG1119.jpg [ 264.89 KiB | Viewed 6377 times ]

My cat Wolf:
Attachment:
CIMG1121.jpg
CIMG1121.jpg [ 244.78 KiB | Viewed 6378 times ]

This next picture was funny to me. My daughter, while complaining about her brother killing her off, proceeded to inform me that she didn't care...
Attachment:
CIMG1122.jpg
CIMG1122.jpg [ 258.91 KiB | Viewed 6377 times ]

..because as she's explaining to me in this picture, she's got another cat ready to go. Talk about Old School! :lol:

All in all we had a good time. My wife was wonderfully quick to encourage my son and tell him he did a good job. I took the opportunity to kind of give hi some tips - like reading the adventure more so you can wing it and such. He wanted to know if I would run games in the future. I told him only if he would try again as well.

So a good start for his career - especially for not even being 10 years old yet. I'll read the rules and get a handle on the first adventure and then maybe go through it with him before he takes on a group of kids from school he wants to have over to play. I figure by Junior High he'll have singlehandedly built a gaming community...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Warriors, come out to play...
It's good. Everybody makes mistakes. I do think you took the right approach of letting your son do this for himself. It's important for him to come to "own" his GMing, and not feel like he's the second wheel in "daddy's hobby". So I do think it's a very good start.

(how do you take those shots high above the table, btw?)

Also, the last pic of Storm, and her cat replacement? LOL :lol:

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:53 pm

When I read Warriors, I thought your son was one of those cats, who dug the movie and decided to homebrew a game.

This sounds pretty cool, too.

Regards,
David R

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:44 am
Profile E-mail

:lol:

CDawg is a cool cat, but he ain't ready for that mofo.

Though I have explained to the kids the reference of "Warriors...come out to plaaaay..." Can you believe I've actually seen allusions to it in kids shows? So I felt the need to explain it.

No...he was into the Warriors game - then some time before GenCon I was turned on to this RPG and for the life of me I can't recall from where (though I'm sure if I wasn't lazy I could search here and find it). Just seemed a natural fit and, to be honest, it was a great way to get the kids even more interested in RPG's since they both love cats, he latched onto those books like crazy, and my daughter started to read them and loved the idea of being able to play a cat.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:07 am
Profile E-mail

Benoist wrote:

(how do you take those shots high above the table, btw?)

Didn't you know that Jim can fly?

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:58 pm
Profile E-mail

That's a very cool story. And it's good that you are recuriting new gamers at a young age. The more new gamers the hobby adds the better.

Are you playing another game or was that a one shot?

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]