View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
[Apocalypse World] does Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser 

Post [Apocalypse World] does Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
After three weeks of unexpected misses, our Skype group got together to continue our game of Apoc World. One player came on to let us know his life situation has changed and he needs to drop out for a while. Left with two players, we discussed what to do and decided to make new PCs. I had planned on retiring my Skinner Shade soon anyway, so I finished up my Gunlugger Navarre (as played by Dolph Lungdren also looking like he did in The Expendables).

JJ made a Battlebabe he named Absinthe. We decided the pair of us were post-apoc Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Navarre is the big thug and Absinthe is the cocky quick one.

We spent the first half session getting a job from a guy to recruit a thug and then wandered off to boost a truck and got into a gun fight. It was deliriously fun.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:52 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: [Apocalypse World] does Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
Quite off topic, sorry.

I felt curious about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser lately. Also I still had credit on a B&N gift card from last x-mas. Considering how popular Leiber seems to be among Sword & Sorcery readers I expected to find him on B&N shelves. Que nenni! They don't have the first book of the series anymore except in digital version. That was strange.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:23 am

That is strange. I bought my copies at a used book store long ago. I'm sure you can find tons of copies there.

My favorite part of the game is when Navarre (my big gunlugger) ended up in a fistfight with a bigger thug called Skeet. Skeet smacked away Navarre's rifle and handgun, then whacked Navarre on the head. Navarre threw up his hands, saying, "Whoah big fella, take it easy..." and promptly failed his Manipulation attempt to seem mostly harmless (he sucks at lying, what can I say?). So, Navaree was pushed over a crumbling half-wall. On his way down to the ground, Navarre unholstered his sawed-off shotgun and when Skeet hopped over the wall to do some more damage... double barrel in the face. "Like I said, bigun, take it EASY." I made my Go Aggro roll - Skeet threw up his hands this time, and the fight was over.

So nice to not have to mindless shoot everything but still feel the weight of playing a badass.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:15 am
Profile E-mail

I'm part of a starting AW wiki game right now. Like usual badass character archetypes don't shine for me, so I didn't have to compete for the gunlugger or battlebabe character book. But I can see how you would enjoy playing a badass character after you tried the seductive artist type :)

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:55 am

Yes, after getting beat down as Shade, it is a nice change to do some beating. Also, playing right after work gets me in a mood for a less subtle character.

@boulet, what archetype did you choose?

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:57 am
Profile E-mail

I'm the Hocus :D here is a typical recruitment speech by my character

Quote:
This mortal coil is a downer right? Diseases, brutal murders, hunger, thefts, children mortality... There's plenty sources of sorrows (starting with ourselves) and little occasions to rejoice. The Grey Fellowship addresses that. You know solidarity, mutual support or whatever you want to call it. But that's something gangs, hardholds and crews provide too to some extent. Some of us need a little more. I know I do. I need sense in my life for instance, and I've found that these "other" things are difficult to obtain on your own. I've been part of parishes and other religious groups in my youth. I see you frowning. Go on, speak your mind! They make you feel like putting on a straight jacket? I can't blame you, they made me feel like that too. But worse, I felt that those religious types thrived on isolating themselves and clinging to dusty beliefs. So I still craved for more. I'm not a prophet. I'm not going to nail on your door a poster of dos and donts. What I'm trying to build is a community of spiritually aware people. I believe that we can achieve this by studying what this place was like before. Oh sure the past isn't the answer to everything. After all their world went down the drain didn't it? But with the help of our ancestors, some courage and hard work I hope we will make this place better. Not interested? That's cool. If you change your mind you know where to find us.

Shade didn't have her kickass moments? Is it just a matter of bad luck? Did you enjoy playing with the Skinner moves a bit?

Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:34 am

Nice hocus pitch, very believable. I would listen to him/her. I fear the hocus because of the concern about people taking the character over the deep end. This pitch has a decent ring to it.

As for Shade, well, she was a good Skinner, she just didn't help out very effectively. I could make people do things on a one to one basis, but she couldn't fight and she, well, she made bad decisions (throwing in with an overthrow attempt, getting caught behind enemy lines and trying to talk her way out of it, not taking lives when it was the logical choice). I made her as a person who wanted to hope, but the world didn't agree with her. That, and even though for three sessions I had the moonlighting trait giving me access to more barter, I never once made the roll (not even close) and it always led to complications (offending people, being carried off by children, almost getting raped, etc.).

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]