View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
Dark Ages HeroQuest 

Post Re: Dark Ages HeroQuest
And Jim, I'm thinking that PbP has to be at a relaxed kind of pace, so the commitment might not be so bad. Also, I'm happy to set it up so that PCs can drop in and out (actually I like it when they do that).

Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:20 pm
Profile E-mail

Interesting...so all I need to know I could leave learned from King Arthur! ;)

from a more serious perspective - it does sound interesting. As in, I'm interested.

Though the second hurdle is that I've never played HQ.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:40 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
Interesting...so all I need to know I could leave learned from King Arthur! ;)

Absolutely. I want a movie/novel, not a history book. As I see it, it's my function to dress the sets and be the consultant.

HQ is a very simple game (too simple for some). It works on opposed d20 rolls. Basically, in principle anything at all can be a numerical ability. So pulling from the wiki, we've got chrs with Sing a distracting song 18, Speak in tongues 10M2 (=50*) and Weasel into people's good graces 19.

Keywords give you a package of abilities appropriate to your culture, occupation and religion. Normally you would have three or four keywords such as Soldier, Christian, Roman.

You can pretty much play HQ from the game aids when you understand the system.

*Each multiple of 20 becomes a Mastery (M). So 30=10M (10+20), 50=10M2 (10+20+20). This affects resolution.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Hmmm, starting to get intrigued myself here. I'm always interested in the drop-in/drop-out structures for campaigns. Like Jim, I was a bit intimidated as I have no real knowledge of that period of history. Is there some basic primer or section on your website that I could read that would give me a nice overview and some ideas for appropriate characters?

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:37 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Let me give you a rundown in a few paragraphs.

The Western Empire is on its last legs. It is only a few years since Rome was sacked by the Goths. An Ostrogoth, Odoacer, rules the Italian Peninsula from his capital of Ravenna. Most of the Mediterranean has been swallowed by barbarians, including the great grainbowl of Northern Africa, occupied by the Vandals.

To the east, an emperor still rules the other half of the empire. Constantinople, the great city, stands against the steppe nomads (Huns, Avars, Alans and the rest) and the empire of the Sassanid Persians. Fierce theological debates rack the court as well as the streets – the Greeks love to debate theology and are as fervent as football followers in their religion.

To the north, the petty magnates of the fading empire squabble and make war on each other, while Germanic barbarians invade their lands. Now the Germans are crossing the sea to make homes in Britain, the last outpost of Rome in days gone by. The Franks, a particularly powerful tribe, have seized the area around the Seine under their king Clovis. Far to the north, the Scandinavian peoples live as they have for centuries.

In the West, Christianity and a sense of Roman glory give people something to aspire to, even the barbarian chiefs, who commonly seek recognition from Rome to legitimate their kingdoms.

It's a time of great upheaval and mobility. Much of it has been caused by the westward migrations of the Germanic tribes, pressured in their turn by the hordes of the Eurasian steppe. The nomads also terrorise the Han Chinese at the other end of the world, and a tribe called the Wei rules northern China. Not that the characters are ever likely to get there... are they?

Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Large size

Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Here's the Sources page from the wiki. There are some links in the sidebar, but don't feel you have to read the whole of EBK or something. It's just there if you get interested.

http://hqdarkages.pbwiki.com/Sources

And here are a few illustrations from the late Angus McBride:

Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:19 pm
Profile E-mail

Love the map and graphics!

Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:02 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

I'm still very interested -- particularly with your description of how you intend to run the game -- but I'm dealing with a sudden emergency. I'll be back on in a couple of days to follow through.

Cheers,
!i!

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:05 am
Profile E-mail

droog wrote:
Yes, I know. I did this period with Pendragon/Land of Giants (the PCs anachronistically found the portage route to the Caspian).

I've been reading about this period for years, and I think I've got a fighting chance of being able to run a kind of sandbox of the 5th century, so bear that in mind.
:oops: D'oh. I was being a little obtuse, wasn't I?

!i!

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:09 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next