View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
Dark Ages HeroQuest 

Post Re: Dark Ages HeroQuest
Ian Absentia wrote:
:oops: D'oh. I was being a little obtuse, wasn't I?

Not at all – I'm just enthusiastic about the possibilities. If there's one thing I can still geek out about it's history.

I'm in no hurry, so take your time. I'll sit back here and have a smoke and read my notes. Hmm, maybe this PbP pace suits me....

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:54 am
Profile E-mail

How do you guys feel about magic in the setting?

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:58 pm
Profile E-mail

there...but not. dangerous, mysterious, heretical...but oh so alluring...

wait...we were talking about magic, right?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Sounds good either way....

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:13 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
there...but not. dangerous, mysterious, heretical...but oh so alluring...
Have you read any of Bernard Cornwell's Arthur books? From the point of view of the characters in the stories, magic is there...but not. It has an effect in the stories, mostly because they really believe that it has an effect, while to the reader it may all seem a fantastic coincidence.

One beauty of the HeroQuest system is that it can support this sort of belief-in-effect magic. Maybe not as a primary ability, but an ability rating in "Abiding Belief in Major Hoodoo" could be utilised as an augment (or a penalty) to another ability.

!i!

[By the way, I'm on stolen time on a really slow phone connection. More later.]

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:31 am
Profile E-mail

Count me in. Not many ideas this far about the character, other than I would like to play some sort of viking guy. I won't be able to follow from the 8th to the 15th this month, due to holidays.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:31 am
Profile E-mail WWW

I'm interested in joining too. I saved the character gen aid and will read it later. I have no experience with HQ (but played Chaosium games) and my English is ok but could improve.

I'm not exactly sure what character I would be interested in playing. I guess it could be someone who's on the side of Celtic rebellion, representing a tradition of confrontation against Roman authority, writing, Christianity and all things coming from the south in general :) I'd be interested to portray the confusion and adaptation the character would go through when he realizes his old views about the world are inept and the Romans weren't the worst that could happen to the British isles in the first place... Something like that...

Oh but are you still accepting players ?

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Well, it seems to me that the PbP format ought to allow for more players/characters than in a TT game, since everybody's not putting up their hand and shouting at the same time. Amirite?

Boulet, since you've got a well-developed concept, would you like to have a walk-through of chrgen?

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:33 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi,

Re: magic in the setting. I'm cool with any level, really.

Re: my character concept, or at least what I have so far. I would like to play a cursed character. He's a warrior, a houscarl of some sort (not sure if that social structures were around at the time) that has betrayed his oath to his lord and is cursed to wander the land until he finds some way of redeeming himself and he's allowed to go back home with his family. I get the feeling that wandering around may be important here, so I feel it fits.

More concretely, I think he killed his own lord, but don't have an idea why. The sister of the lord, who happens to be a volva (a witch) cursed me, and my community shunned me.

Is this OK?

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:16 am
Profile E-mail WWW

That sounds great. Maybe we'll find out in play why and how he killed his lord.

If you don't mind, I'll use him to point up a few things about chrgen for the people who don't know HQ.

There are actually three different methods you can use. There is the as-you-go method, where you can simply jump into play and flesh out abilities as you go. There is the list method, where you pick the keywords and abilities you want. Lastly, there's the famous HQ narrative method, where you write a 100-word passage about your chr and derive your abilities from that.

I'm not fussed about which method anybody uses – personally I prefer the list method but if someone wants to write a passage it's cool. I'll do a quick rundown of major abilities this chr might have.

KEYWORDS

He'll have the German cultural keyword, which covers the Norse in this hack. He will most likely have the Warrior occupational keyword, as Ramon says he is a housecarl. Finally, he will probably have the Gods of Asgard religious keyword, though a Christian is an outside possibility.

Each keyword is a package of abilities, e.g –

Warrior

Abilities: Endurance, Guard Camp, Know [Enemy] Tactics, Know Local Area, Listen, [Melee Weapon] Fighting, [Missile Weapon] Fighting, Recognize Fighting Style, Recognize Foe, Ride, Scout, [Unit Style Mass Combat].
Typical Personality Traits: Bloodthirsty, Boastful, Brave, Determined, Grim.
Typical Relationships: to Clan, Tribe or Leader; to War-band.
Typical Followers: Assistant and groom or servant, both good at fighting.
Standard of Living: Common.
Typical Equipment: Appropriate weapons and armour, a horse.

Ramon's chr gets all abilities listed at the level of his keyword. He may choose which personality traits and relationships he starts with (i.e. not all warriors have to be Bloodthirsty).

Beyond that, the chr gets 10 extra abilities (or whatever you can squeeze in to your narrative). You can get creative with these abilities, and if any are magical or quasi-magical, that's cool too.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:19 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next