View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
Dark Ages HeroQuest 

Post Re: Dark Ages HeroQuest
droog wrote:
That sounds great. Maybe we'll find out in play why and how he killed his lord.

Perfect for me. Maybe a flashback or something like that?
Quote:
If you don't mind, I'll use him to point up a few things about chrgen for the people who don't know HQ.

Go ahead, please.
Quote:
There are actually three different methods you can use. There is the as-you-go method, where you can simply jump into play and flesh out abilities as you go. There is the list method, where you pick the keywords and abilities you want. Lastly, there's the famous HQ narrative method, where you write a 100-word passage about your chr and derive your abilities from that.

I think I will go with the 100 word method as soon as I can.
Quote:
KEYWORDS
He'll have the German cultural keyword, which covers the Norse in this hack. He will most likely have the Warrior occupational keyword, as Ramon says he is a housecarl. Finally, he will probably have the Gods of Asgard religious keyword, though a Christian is an outside possibility.

I will have a pagan guy, of course! What sense does it make a Christian viking? Heresy, I say!!

I just decided that my guy thinks that the curse is some kind of perverse blessing from Woden, who loves mischief.

I'll take another detailed look at the package of skills and pick some traits, but he surely will be some kind of berserk. Actually, it would be cool if he had killed his lord in a berserk fit.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:32 am
Profile E-mail WWW

I think magic would be dandy, though I prefer superstitions and curses rather than dragons and fireballs, if you know my drift. Here's my attempt at the 100 words game (only cheated by 54, please don't hurt me)

Erwan is a 25 years old Pict. His fellow tribesmen are considered the quintessential antagonists to Roman culture in the Highlands, clinging sternly to their gods and druids. They're a people of fishermen, merchant sailors and sometimes pirates. They tried to remain ahead of the pack by allying with Gaels. Erwan himself is the son of a Pict father and an Irish mother, and consequently has been devoted to the role of diplomat, comfortable in every Celtic dialect and educated as bard by the best masters of Eire. He's traveled as far as Brittany and had a peek at how diverse foreign cultures are. He's a bigot though and derides Britons and Romans whenever he can. His main concern in life is about the tribe's druids who are getting very old and didn't manage to teach the next generation. Erwan keeps looking for a talented pupil the elders would deem worthy of their teachings.

Feel free to criticize, I won't take offense.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 am

At that time, what were the Britons like? I mean, did they see themselves as Britons or Romans? How likely is it for one to proudly be a Briton - but distinctly not Roman; not a revolutionary, but definitely against being subjects of the Empire?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:44 am
Profile E-mail

From what I understand Picts and Britons are different people with their own dialect, culture and a different history when it comes to dealing with Romans. I'm not an expert about Britons but I assume they had been integrated in the Roman empire in a way similar to the Gauls : they adapted to Roman civilization both by force and taste. The druids were perceived as trouble makers by Romans, probably more for their authority and capacity to start rebellions than for religious reasons. So it was a serious blow to Celtic culture wherever Romans took over. OTOH Romans came with engineering, commercial boost and a general sense of organization that the Celts lacked. North of the Hadrian wall I doubt that the romanization had as much impact. Anyway Droog has chosen a time when the Romans have gone for a long time... A time when Roman baths and other monument weren't used anymore, except maybe as construction material.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:06 pm

Boulet is correct. The Romans pulled up stakes and left Britain to its fate in 423 (there is a famous letter to Aetius, the consul of the western region of Europe, in which the Britons plead for help against the Saxons).

I'm assuming, perhaps ahistorically, that this has caused a resurgence of old practices. Sacrifice to the old gods and so forth. Druids coming out of the woodwork where they've hidden for centuries. Christian heresies multiplying. A struggle for the spiritual life of Britain.

A Briton would be likely to speak either Latin or Brythonic, and depending on how he had grown up, he might have almost any attitude to the Roman past.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:50 pm
Profile E-mail

What about cities - I mean in the sense that I would guess the Romans left some behind and I'm thinking of a kind of outcast scoundrel coming from lurking the streets of a town/city that lurches towards insignificance with the Romans gone.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:40 pm
Profile E-mail

Nice – there was a character like that in a novel I read.

Yes, there are some cities left, notably Corinium (Colchester), Deva and Isca. You can imagine them pretty well decayed, with fallen columns, patched-up buildings and lean-to shacks in the streets. Some cities, like Londinium, are just shells with a rabble living among the ruins, being plundered by Saxons now and then.

The focus is shifting to the countryside, where powerful magnates have collected fighters around themselves and live in fortified villas, old hillforts or armed camps. In a few hundred years this will be the Middle Ages – this is the basic prototype for Western society for generations to come.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:42 pm
Profile E-mail

The novel being...?

I could use all the help I can get - looks to me like I'm in over my head, but it's all so damn interesting...

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Quote:
Erwan is a 25 years old Pict. His fellow tribesmen are considered the quintessential antagonists to Roman culture in the Highlands, clinging sternly to their gods and druids. They're a people of fishermen, merchant sailors and sometimes pirates. They tried to remain ahead of the pack by allying with Gaels. Erwan himself is the son of a Pict father and an Irish mother, and consequently has been devoted to the role of diplomat, comfortable in every Celtic dialect and educated as bard by the best masters of Eire. He's traveled as far as Brittany and had a peek at how diverse foreign cultures are. He's a bigot though and derides Britons and Romans whenever he can. His main concern in life is about the tribe's druids who are getting very old and didn't manage to teach the next generation. Erwan keeps looking for a talented pupil the elders would deem worthy of their teachings.

Quick run-through: I get a number of abilities from this, and there probably more.

E.g.
Gaelic allies
Irish relatives
Diplomat
Well-travelled
Familiar with foreign cultures
Bigoted towards Romans and Britons

I like the chr, but you haven't used your 100 words very efficiently, I'm bound to point out. You don't need to write about your tribesmen, for example – the Pict keyword covers the abilities you get from your culture. If you drop that out you can probably get more specific stuff about your chr in.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:04 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
The novel being...?

I could use all the help I can get - looks to me like I'm in over my head, but it's all so damn interesting...

It's The Great Captains, by Henry Treece (unfortunately OOP). Another of my favourites is Conscience of the King by Alfred Duggan (small excerpt here), also OOP. I'm a bit of a grognard when it comes to fiction. There's also the Mary Stewart books, which are OK but a bit wet, and some of Rosemary Sutcliffe's stuff, which is a bit kiddy.

I haven't read Bernard Cornwell yet, but everybody tells me he's the new standard for this genre.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next