View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
Dark Ages HeroQuest 

Post Re: Dark Ages HeroQuest
droog wrote:
I haven't read Bernard Cornwell yet, but everybody tells me he's the new standard for this genre.
I thought Cornwell was really quite good, though I've only read his Arthur books. He managed to make the transition from Lerner-Lowe and Boorman to a backwards, muddy, squabbling descent into obscurity interesting. I think you get a very good feel for what Britain is like at the time, and the desperate sense that the good old days are inexorably slipping through everyone's fingers. Cornwell is not kind to either Lancelot or Guinevere, however, and I know many people's idyllic fantasies about them have been bruised by these novels.

I'm back, by the way, and I'm working on a write-up for my far-traveled Byzantine merchant. I already feel sorry for the poor son of a bitch and what I'm planning for his presence in the British isles.

!i!

[Edit: Ah, it looks like I'll be changing my character concept radically. The major points of the character have already turned up in Boulet's Pictish bard. No sense having two identical characters.]

Last edited by Ian Absentia on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:35 am
Profile E-mail

droog wrote:
Quick run-through: I get a number of abilities from this, and there probably more.

E.g.
Gaelic allies
Irish relatives
Diplomat
Well-travelled
Familiar with foreign cultures
Bigoted towards Romans and Britons

I like the chr, but you haven't used your 100 words very efficiently, I'm bound to point out. You don't need to write about your tribesmen, for example – the Pict keyword covers the abilities you get from your culture. If you drop that out you can probably get more specific stuff about your chr in.

Nananana very efficiently, nananana more specific stuff about your chr... * grumbles inarticulately * fascist GM * more grumbles *

Ok I'll rework my draft :)

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:34 am

Do I know ahead of time what key words are useful? Or do I go with the flow and attempt to write it so that as many as I can will be used? Before, you mentioned, I think it was more of a list approach.

Wait...I'm an idiot...didn't you point to something...jas...

OK..I'll take a look at the character creation stuff tonight since it looks like our game of Pendragon (my first time!) might have fallen through; bummer. So I might have a few minutes if I get there at our usual time (I believe we're starting late, too!).

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Okay, points of clarification:

1. There are Keywords and there are Abilities. Keywords comprise a parcel of Abilities. An Ability is any numbered entry on your sheet, basically, whether it's Sword Fighting 18 or Knows the Emperor 18. All Keyword Abilities are at the level of the Keyword.

2. Normally you get three Keywords: Culture, Occupation and Religion. I actually have house rule in place that can give your chr another Keyword if that's what you want.

3. I'm agnostic on the narrative method. I think it's fun if you're a good writer. I think the list method is fine if you don't want to write the 100 words. That just consists of picking three Keywords and 10 additional Abilities (plus the Special Ability rule). In my view the list of Abilities alone defines your chr as well as the 100 words.

4. In principle, every Ability is usable. Even an Ability that appears to be a flaw might come in handy.

5. I'm thinking some of my writing on the Game Aids is a bit twee.

Pity about your PD game. It's one of my faves, and it's had a big influence on this game.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Profile E-mail

The wiki is frustrating me a bit, BTW. PBwiki appears to have changed things and I haven't been able to log in yet. When I do I can change the files for PDFs, since I can now make them. I'll also shuffle the old chrs off and start putting up these ones as they get made.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:15 pm
Profile E-mail

OK, I can now log on, and I have put the PDFs up in place of the Word docs (game aids, keywords, chr sheet). If anybody wants to create pages, PM me for the password.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:25 am
Profile E-mail

droog wrote:
OK, I can now log on, and I have put the PDFs up in place of the Word docs (game aids, keywords, chr sheet). If anybody wants to create pages, PM me for the password.

What's our mandate if we are to write pages for the wiki ? What would you look for as a contribution ?

Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:40 am

I don't know, mate. The last group didn't do much, but we were playing face-to-face. I just wanted to throw it out there that you're welcome to do so, make the wiki more a group thing. It may be that it plays a bigger part in an online game.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:54 pm
Profile E-mail

By the way, Ian, I'm not ignoring you. I just figure you know what you're doing and don't need much help.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:04 pm
Profile E-mail

And I hope this isn't TMI, but since you're playing PD, Jim, I thought you might like to have a look at my wiki for Dark Ages Pendragon. It's got a little more detail on some of the cultures I put into HQ.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next