View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
What we played this week and what we enjoyed about it. 

Post Re: What we played this week and what we enjoyed about it.
It's a Dog's Life.

What was cool is that it's the first time I've actually played it as I always run it. It is one of my favourite games.

It's also cool because it's a game that most gamers won't touch because you play animals (prairie dogs) and yet the GM loves it enough to not only run it but put his own spin on it.

It's also cool because my character survived a hawk-attack and befriened an armadillo (who later drove off a berserk ferret for us).

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:32 pm
Profile E-mail

flyingmice wrote:
That is wild, Sean! How did they think of using Dance to subvert the wedding guests? Beautiful!

-clash

Each of the rigid castes in the 4 cities of the skyland theocracy has their own sacred dance. The characters are trying to destabilize relations between the cities by undermining social harmony. The players decided that they would bust out some forbidden moves for the caste they were posing as at the regular midnight mountaintop dance for newlyweds. Rather than applying a generic adventure to the setting the adventure arose from the setting.

For me one of the cool things was that the players felt that their characters and their local sympathizers would feel that this was a big thing not done lightly. The characters have belief in the religion even though they loathe the theocrats in charge. By starting moral panics they are hoping to get one of the cities seen as decadent and weak, hopefully triggering a heavy-handed response from the theocracy. The session ended with their escape down the mountain during which one of the cabal was captured.

(I'll write up my thoughts on play and mechanics after next Monday's session)

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

sean wills wrote:
flyingmice wrote:
That is wild, Sean! How did they think of using Dance to subvert the wedding guests? Beautiful!

-clash

Each of the rigid castes in the 4 cities of the skyland theocracy has their own sacred dance. The characters are trying to destabilize relations between the cities by undermining social harmony. The players decided that they would bust out some forbidden moves for the caste they were posing as at the regular midnight mountaintop dance for newlyweds. Rather than applying a generic adventure to the setting the adventure arose from the setting.

For me one of the cool things was that the players felt that their characters and their local sympathizers would feel that this was a big thing not done lightly. The characters have belief in the religion even though they loathe the theocrats in charge. By starting moral panics they are hoping to get one of the cities seen as decadent and weak, hopefully triggering a heavy-handed response from the theocracy. The session ended with their escape down the mountain during which one of the cabal was captured.

(I'll write up my thoughts on play and mechanics after next Monday's session)

That is awesome, Sean! That was how it worked for us in the Alpha test, too - the adventure came directly from the setup of the skylands, religion, and association. Great to see that it's working for you guys too. The dance thing is absolutely inspired!

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Tonight was an awesome session! Instead of Volant, since one player was out, we decided to start our Star Wars game - using StarCluster 3, as a prequel session. The game is set between the defeat at Hoth, and the Alliance victory at Endor. They each made two characters, one a Jedi or Padawan, the other a member of a smuggler's crew. The two halves of the group were forced together because the Jedis are fleeing Imperial eradication, and one of the Jedi was able to play a mind trick on the smuggler captain, and they are now off planet.

It ran smooth as silk, the players dropped into character like they were old friends, and things just felt like StarWars, not StarCluster. We'll be playing this again next week as a different player will be out, then back to Volant. We sill pick this game up as soon as the Volant playtest is concluded. :D

-clash

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:40 am
Profile E-mail

Last Saturday I ran a long satisfying game session of the Kingmaker Adventure Path by Paizo using Pathfinder rules.

My players are awesome and therefore the game has been awesome.

We are scheduled for more awesomeness on the 15th. We'll then break until the new year. Actually, I will be surprised if the 15th goes off without a hitch. Normally the time between Thanksgiving and New Years is pretty much a no game zone for most of the players.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

RedBlok wrote:
My players are awesome and therefore the game has been awesome.

Quoted for TRUTH! :D

-clash

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail

3rd and 4th Volant playtest sessions were focussed on a tournament held between a handful of skylands. Each sent a bird-riding Champion and entourage to compete. Each player controlled a Champion necessitating many hidden messages to the GM. Rounds of combat and the boasting/banter between led to the final round which became a battle of wits and nerve.

One cool thing about the session was that all the bird-manoeuvre silhouettes had been reproduced on square cards, with a set given to each jousting Champion as a play aid alongside the bird sheet. By the 4th session the GM had increased the pace of decision making and we were slapping cards down during one 'dogfight'. I'm sure we glossed over some rules but good fun !

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:11 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

sean wills wrote:
3rd and 4th Volant playtest sessions were focussed on a tournament held between a handful of skylands. Each sent a bird-riding Champion and entourage to compete. Each player controlled a Champion necessitating many hidden messages to the GM. Rounds of combat and the boasting/banter between led to the final round which became a battle of wits and nerve.

One cool thing about the session was that all the bird-manoeuvre silhouettes had been reproduced on square cards, with a set given to each jousting Champion as a play aid alongside the bird sheet. By the 4th session the GM had increased the pace of decision making and we were slapping cards down during one 'dogfight'. I'm sure we glossed over some rules but good fun !

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA! This is making it into the final product! Awesome, Sean! Awesome! :D

-clash

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Well, not everyone could make the Kingmaker game that was scheduled for Saturday so we decided to do a one-shot of Psi-Run. Then a second player crapped out just 90 minutes before the game session. So we cancelled.

"In the chaos of the Christmas season, there can be no game." :snooty:

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:56 pm
Profile E-mail

Last Saturday, my group had another awesome session of the Kingmaker adventure path.

Upon going into the Sootscale Kobolds lair to negotiate a deal with the Kobold chief, one of the players noticed a vein of silver off of one of the passages and in true D&D fashion stated, "Sure, we might be working up a treaty with these little bastards now, but there's still some silver in this old mine here. We can come back later and wipe them out." :)

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next