View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
What we played this week and what we enjoyed about it. 

Post Re: What we played this week and what we enjoyed about it.
Sadly no game yesterday. TL; DR: broken phones, back injuries and exploding cars.

I took the spare hours I had to delve a little deeper into the Mythic Russia pdf. Excellent stuff, so far. After consulting the players I decided to use OpenQuest as the base system. Battle Magic will be limited to the PCs (plus a few rare NPCs) and will represent the natural aptitudes of embryonic heroes of myth. I think it'll work well.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:53 am
Profile E-mail

No game for me either. So I took the time to play around with the Renegade Crowns book for WFRP.
This is a really cool book for setting creation.

As setting and adventure creation are an important part of Dokkodo, I'm always on the lookout for games that do this stuff well.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:48 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

I ran my final Alpha Playtest of IHW: Pigboats Saturday. It went well, but I haven't made a writeup yet. Commander Jerkin officially became the most loathed player character ever, with a fulsome mix of astringent bitterness, touchy and fragile arrogance, and blank indifference to other player characters' lives. His wolfpack was also extraordinarily effective. We will be starting a StarCluster 3 campaign next Saturday, with the players scouting out a newly discovered - or perhaps newly opened - Jump Line. What is beyond is unknown.

Sunday, I ran another session of the Beginner's Luck StarCluster game that has been running on IRC since 2003, with StarCluster 1.

Monday (tonight) I run a first session of Coyote Trail over IRC, set in Batman's Well, Nevada, 1868.

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 am
Profile E-mail

We wrapped up episode two of our Smallville game over forum called What Goes On in the Dark. I had a Tag Scene (basically a scene at the end of the episode where the character reflects on the events of the ep and advancement occurs) and it went well. It gave me inspiration on where to advance and how.

We're kicking off episode three today and I'm stoked!

In my Lady Blackbird game over forum I took a failed roll and kept it a failure while still moving the story logically forward. We're in the last leg of the story and part of me wants to derail them, but I realize it would just be to lengthen the game because I love playing with these guys so much. Which is good, but not good enough to prolong a game for that reason alone.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Last edited by orklord on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:05 am
Profile E-mail

Kind of an odd week out for me, in that I'm not playing until Sunday. My Saturday game was recently called off by the DM, while my weekday game is on a one-week hold while someone is on family vacation.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:55 am
Profile E-mail

Two games this week.

On Tuesday night we played in our second playtest session of Soft Horizon. In the first session, we created worlds and characters. This week, we fleshed out our characters a little more. My character, Justin de Folle, a Hereditary Inquisitor of Quilles-Hautes, and my friend Brad's character, Gyrd'n Rames, found themselves on the world of Cyprolene, where giant ziggurats plow their way inexorably and inexplicably through the jungles, leaving trails of bear earth behind them. Our patron, the god Belk, has left us here and instructed us to wait and observe. But it seemed we waited too long, so we struck out to find the ziggurat with the dimensional gate on top of it. We found the ziggurat, but not before one of the local gods found us. We engaged him in a brief, but not inconsequential, combat - and sent him to his doom.

Here is a picture of the game table. Most of what you see are the notes we wrote up during world creation. In the lower left are the worlds of Quilles-Hautes and Umber in purlple. The lower right has Cyprolene and Ita in red. The upper left (in green and upside down in this view) has the worlds of Morgas and Vio d'Elan. The upper right corner has the combat schematic showing three range zones (close, near, far) with the figures within. In the close zone (centre) are the Stone Horseman god, Gyrd'n, and my character's blood brother, Leza Cote the justiciar. My character, Justin, is located in the 'near' zone, from where he directs Leza and uses him as a weapon. There are only 7 skills in the game, but each skill has an optimal zone. Using a skill outside the optimal zone invokes a penalty. This, in effect, makes what seems like a very simple combat scenario to be quite tactical.

Attachment:
The Deicide Wars 2.jpg
The Deicide Wars 2.jpg [ 213.47 KiB | Viewed 3218 times ]

You'll also see some Fate chips, Halfjack's two D6 (the mechanic is D6-D6, or Delta6). Drawn in black under the red worlds is a diagram showing the distribution curve of Delta6, for those who are interested. Written in between the purple and green worlds are the names of the 7 skills: History, Piety, Warfare, Courtesy, Violence, Sorcery, and Tenacity.

In our other game, the players continue their quest to save the local city from an invading army by busting the dam. In order to do this, they must summon enough Jinn (or one large enough Jinn) to remove some stones. Unfortunately they didn't take quite enough precautions this week and their Sahhar was injured by an arrow from an enemy scout while conducting his summoning ritual, and consequently lost control of the Jinn. Three of the toughest characters chased after the two enemy archers, leaving only one armoured warrior to protect the more civilian characters. He was forced to face the Jinn, which was in the form of a dust devil, alone. The Jinn engaged him in spirit combat while the whirlwind of dust and small stones first ate away at his armour, then his flesh. The character managed to disperse the Jinn, thereby saving the four most helpless party members, but not before he was basically flayed alive. There was no saving him, and the session ended with his heroic death - the first firm character death of this campaign.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Sheesh, Thalaba! Your Soft Horizon game with Brad sounds truly awesome, and you know what I thin of your other game. :D

I ended up running games Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, having a group creation session for the StarCluster 3 game Tuesday, and running a one-on-one over IRC Wednesday.

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Thousand Thrones Session 2 Tonight

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Played SR4 yesterday, and a my kiddo's D&D 3.5e game this afternoon-which had the pleasure of a new player, and two guest players. (Her first real group gaming experience-her previous D&D sessions had been solo adventures with NPC's.)

The new SR4 campaign is progressing still trying to get a good handle on the feel of what I want, and get all the players settled into their new PC's.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:54 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Ran The Mountain Witch. Like many others I had to fit the game into a one-shot (it was designed more for a 3 session game).

It was slow going at first, but once things got moving it was a lot of fun. Overall I had a hard time getting players to foreshadow their Dark Fates. I can see how the game strongly benefits from 12hrs of play.

PCs:
Gyuki with the Dark Fate Revenge
Makishi with the Dark Fate: True Motive
Takuya with the Dark Fate Desperately in Love

At the end we had a very Blood Opera/Resevoir Dogs kind of ending. Which is entirely appropriate.

The Mountain Witch made a deal with Makishi to grant him a request if he would kill Yuki-onna (Mountain Witch's wife). Mashiki went to find her and kill her.

Takuya had just spoken with Yuki-onna and she promised to protect his families land from crop destroying weather if he would simply sacrifice Mashiki and Gyuki to her.

Takuya ran into Mashiki just outside of Yuki-onna's garden teahouse. Mashiki tried to convince Takyua to help him, but he was having none of it. Takuya killed Mashiki with one swift sweep of his Holy Spear*.

He was supposed to kill Gyuki (PC) too, but Gyuki had already fought the Mountain Witch and gotten an Ai-Uchi (mutual strike). Gyuki gave himself a Taken-Out wound and narrated a lesser wound for The Mountain Witch.

Takuya went to the Mountain Witch's chambers and they had a long extended duel. It went round and round, until Takuya killedthe Mountain Witch, and finished off Gyuki.

All agreed it was a great game and we wanted to play the longer version.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next