View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
What we played this week and what we enjoyed about it. 

Post Re: What we played this week and what we enjoyed about it.
Created a PC for an Apocalypse World play-by-forum game that is starting up. I may be overstretching myself, but this was a personal invite from a guy with whom I really enjoying playing and I want to see his GM style to learn from it. I cooked up a Brainer named Livley who basically dresses just like Adam Ant and is given to long soliloquies about despair and tawdry things he knows from watching people. He is a crap fighter, but his Weird powers have serious potential. Everyone decided to angle up against him, which is a bit disconcerting for me because the rest of the playgroup are strangers to me but know each other. I feel a bit like my PC, the odd man out. I'm sure it will sort itself out. I hope.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 am
Profile E-mail

orklord wrote:
Everyone decided to angle up against him, which is a bit disconcerting for me because the rest of the playgroup are strangers to me but know each other. I feel a bit like my PC, the odd man out. I'm sure it will sort itself out. I hope.

What does it mean to be 'angled' against someone in AW? Is that a mechanical thing, like alignment in D&D? Or just a sense the other players won't play well with you?

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:48 pm
Profile E-mail

In many AP reports I've noticed that brainers are a bit like the assassin back in AD&D: they attract distrust and animosity just for being part of this class of character.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Thalaba wrote:
orklord wrote:
Everyone decided to angle up against him, which is a bit disconcerting for me because the rest of the playgroup are strangers to me but know each other. I feel a bit like my PC, the odd man out. I'm sure it will sort itself out. I hope.

What does it mean to be 'angled' against someone in AW? Is that a mechanical thing, like alignment in D&D? Or just a sense the other players won't play well with you?

In AW, you have this stat called History (Hx). With HX, you can roll it to interfere with another PC's action (or help them, but it is easier to mess with them). Everyone used their history to boost their HX with Lively and stated that they didn't trust my poor PC. It was slightly offputting. I'm keeping an open mind, we'll see how it pans out.

But you have a point, boulet. Brainers do attract distrust, so that is probably a big factor.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:10 pm
Profile E-mail

Had a very intense Hunter game on Monday night where I could taste freedom from the UK government who have had the characters imprisoned for the last year or so on a remote Scottish island as non humans.

I thought for about 20 minutes that we might actually get out, or I might kill myself, or get massacred in a hail of bullets but I was talked round into giving ourselves up and going back. I was very suprised that we ended up with that choice

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I ran my face to face StarCluster game Saturday. It went very well - the Shen Lung went to a planet inhabited by aliens who had been in contact by radio with the humans on the other planet they visited, so they had a workable knowledge of the alien language for their Universal Translators. The aliens turned out to be very large - 200-300 kg - looking much like raptors with hair down their spines. Their voices are soft and raspy, and they have a facility for saying things in a way which can be interpreted many ways. The session ended with the PCs going to a feast where they were to be the star attractions. Most of them are not sure whether or not they are on the menu...

I ran my IRC StarCluster game on Sunday. One of the characters has left the group to work more outside and they are going to interview replacements. A huge and strange plot they have hatched is sweeping towards a conclusion. They intend to take an asteroid where the mothballed old navy ships of Glorianna are stored, and use them to liberate Glorianna from the clutches of Warren. In the mean time, the robot Companion of one of the PCs turned itself off in despair of her PC ever paying any attention to her. She was there for three months before the PC missed her.

I ran my Coyote Trail IRC game on Monday. It is starting to gel nicely! The Doc and the Cowgirl went to visit the Lawman, and found a note that he was out at the county seat, and heard a clatter from his room. Someone was in there! It all eventually resulted in a confrontation between the Cowgirl and a huge chinaman on the rooftop of the teahouse. The Cowgirl backed down when she realized this chinaman would never fit through the hole their quarry used to escape. It was awesome!

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 am
Profile E-mail

flyingmice wrote:
I ran my Coyote Trail IRC game on Monday. It is starting to gel nicely! The Doc and the Cowgirl went to visit the Lawman, and found a note that he was out at the county seat, and heard a clatter from his room. Someone was in there! It all eventually resulted in a confrontation between the Cowgirl and a huge chinaman on the rooftop of the teahouse. The Cowgirl backed down when she realized this chinaman would never fit through the hole their quarry used to escape. It was awesome!

-clash

The other part I liked was when Miss Portman wanted to borrow a lamp to the Smithy's apprentice and he suggested she could have it for a kiss. Cowgirl grabbed the impudent by the collar and asked him if he wasn't afraid of losing his tongue. I like playing this wacky hardass woman :)

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:10 pm
Site Admin

boulet wrote:
flyingmice wrote:

-clash

The other part I liked was when Miss Portman wanted to borrow a lamp to the Smithy's apprentice and he suggested she could have it for a kiss. Cowgirl grabbed the impudent by the collar and asked him if he wasn't afraid of losing his tongue. I like playing this wacky hardass woman :)

Yeah! That part was sweet too, boulet! The best bit about Portman, though, was that after it was all over, her hands shook uncontrollably. That was exactly the right thing! Maybe she's a hardass, but she's very human. She can be scared as hell, but she doesn't let it stop her, doesn't let the fear come until it's all done. Magnificent!

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:49 pm
Profile E-mail

After an unplanned four month break, one of my erstwhile Skype gaming groups resumed our Primetime Adventures game last Thursday (we're playing again tonight, too!).

The setting is 50 years in the future and we're all cops who have the unenviable task fo hunting down "gene freaks", people who have used illegal genetic maniuplation on themselves. We've faced super-criminals, men who avoided dyng through miraculous surgeries and spent most of the time yelling and fighting each other. Its been a beautiful mess. I love BLUE GENE

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:07 pm
Profile E-mail

orklord wrote:
After an unplanned four month break, one of my erstwhile Skype gaming groups resumed our Primetime Adventures game last Thursday (we're playing again tonight, too!).

The setting is 50 years in the future and we're all cops who have the unenviable task fo hunting down "gene freaks", people who have used illegal genetic maniuplation on themselves. We've faced super-criminals, men who avoided dyng through miraculous surgeries and spent most of the time yelling and fighting each other. Its been a beautiful mess. I love BLUE GENE

Couple more unplanned breaks like that and the game will only be set 49 years in the future! ;)

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next