View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
What we played this week and what we enjoyed about it. 

Post Re: What we played this week and what we enjoyed about it.
We played the follow-on session to our long running campaign last night. It started with a funeral for the character that died the previous night. This was followed up by a scouting mission to the nearby watchtower, which was surrounded by enemy troops with the good guys holed up in the actual tower itself. The PCs then planned a spectacular early morning assault on the tower to break the siege. They tapped into some very dangerous magic for this and then burst into the camp by surprise. The Skalhalla characters literallt scared some people to death, lopped the heads off others, and chased the majority away. The final scare came when the Sahhar Sorcerer used one of his jinn to animate a pile of brush into a flaming, man-like figure which scattered the scared soldiers into the wilderness. All in all, the rescue operation was very successful - but what the players don't realize is that the danger inherent in using the magic was greater than the danger posed by the enemy soldiers. The two Skalhalla characters are now significantly closer to their doom than they were before, and if they don't learn to keep their inner beast in check, it will devour them and maybe also their party.

No Soft Horizon game this week - postponed to next week, when hopefully we'll be able to muster 4 people, two of whom have not actually gamed together since we started the group 4 months ago.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:50 am
Profile E-mail

We started our next game, Judgement Day. Details here.

I enjoyed the homebrewed tables the GM used to determine what we were able to get and how we got it.

For example:
  • I got a bunch of handguns from criminals, but a civilain was killed.
  • I was able to get a few assault rifles by making a deal with a cop, but I got injured..
It reminded me of the experiences from Beat to Quarters and Duty and Honour: just enough detail to be a prompt.

Continuing from above:
I brokered a deal between some gun dealers and a drug gang. They met at a private Mansion that was supposed to be vacated. The yard man shouldn't have been there. Now he's dead.
I approached a guy at a gun show about getting some assault rifles (illegally of course) and he turned out to be a cop (crooked of course). He said he could hook me up if I laid down some beatings for him -- he's running a protection racket. One of the beatings fought back.

I also enjoyed the set-up. All the they could tell us was that the Machines had opened a portal to the same time and metropolitan area. So basically we first have to figure out what our mission is, then actually accomplish the mission.

Furthermore, because time-travel is a one-way deal, it almost feels like a suicide mission.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:06 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I should have posted up here last week.

I played Microscope and loved the shit out of it. I found it to be quite adept at coordinating a group of (somewhat) like-minded gamers in the process of developing a fictional timeline. I love the idea of a group playing Microscope as a precursor to a campaign or series of one-shots (set at different points in the timeline). Read my full Actual Play at http://rayotus.net/wordpress/under-a-microscope/.

I also played (ran) a Savage Worlds game set in AD 16 (my Centum Mortui idea, which I have discussed elsewhere on this forum). I find Savage Worlds is still quite serviceable for a task-res, tactical, and cinematic RPG. I don't really enjoy prepping for and running games with this much crunch anymore, but SW seemed like the right choice to get through the platoon-style story I wanted to see develop at the table. The game went very well and you can read more about it in my Actual Play report at http://rayotus.net/wordpress/centum-mortui-actual-play-report/

Finally, I played in a game of Leverage. I really enjoyed the group I played with and the fiction we created, but I felt like we were fighting the system at times. The "roles" defined by the system are great, but the holdover stuff from the Coretex system seemed like unnecessary baggage to me and the big reveal scene at the end seemed clunky. I felt like we were rolling over things we had already resolved. I usually like game-within-a-game mechanics, but this one ... maybe I need to see it done by a different GM to "believe" it works. Right now I don't (that is, I don't think it works).

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail

I've just been re-reading AGON to hopefully play with one (or both!) of my groups and I just realized it would probably be perfect for adaptation to the Centum Mortui. It even uses the die sizes like Savage Worlds, and it's competitive - each centurion can keep track of his own glory! And (I think) it's less crunchy, too, but still nice and tactical and gritty.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:39 pm
Profile E-mail

Just played a super fun session of Dresden Files RPG. Our PCs are barely out of high school teens or twenty somethings. Helmjok, my PC is a descendant of Hel, the Norse goddess. His adopted brother Nate is a true believer Christian. The two of them end up hiding from the cops in a boiler room. Nate starts feeling spooked out and Helmjok is playing it off. All of a sudden, this dead boy comes up and starts asking Helmjok if he can go now. Nate tries to talk to the kid, but he only focuses on Helmjok. Helmjok asks him his name and what he's waiting for. The boy, a six year old, says his name is Tommy and says he was told to wait, but he really wants to go now. Helmjok sighs (he wants to live a normal life, he is running from his fate) and tells the kid he can go now, as soon as he shows them a way out. This led to a follow-up scene where Nate was trying to tell Helmjok he had a gift not a curse. Very meaty RP. Super fun.

This was followed by a later scene where Helmjok, along with the rest of the gang, was at his ex-girlfriend's apartment talking about something. I narrate in that Helmjok has walked in and absent-mindedly picks up a stuffed bear he'd bought Ella (the ex-gf, who is also a PC) when they were together. Nate blurts out that Helmjok spoke to a ghost. Everyone bugs Helmjok about what happened even though he seems uncomfortable. He gently puts the bear back down and shares the moment with his friends reluctantly. Nate again gives him kudos and the player of Ella has her pick the bear back up as she agrees, telling him he did the right thing. It was this unexpected connection over an inanimate object that stole the show. Such fun!

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:47 am
Profile E-mail

I gave the Mythic GM Emulator a test run using Marvel SAGA...decided to play as Captain America in roughly modern continuity and the game was quickly hijacked by Hawkeye calling for a manhunt of Baron Zemo for all of his recent transgressions (despite Zemo "dying" as a hero before his recent re-emergence. This led to Cap in the odd position of defending Zemo against the Avengers and spilled over into Zemo manipulating Cap AND Hawkeye into vouching for him to serve probation as an Avengers resource.

Anyone wanting to read the Actual Play can pop over to my blog.

While it was the least action packed SAGA game I have ever played (Cap is CRAZY unbalanced against his normal foes in the context of SAGA), it was very much a unique experience with the GM Emulator's Fate Chart and Random Events (combined with some particularly suitable Events popping up on the SAGA Fate Deck) veering the story around in some different twists and turns. DEFINITELY not a traditional RPG experience, but a fun way to test drive some games when your players aren't biting, or just to kill some time some evenings.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:11 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

We played the second session of our terminator game. We rescued my girlfriend from Police custody, just narrowly avoiding a terminator who showed up at the hospital. We are starting to piece together a few ideas about what our mission is.

What I enjoyed: My PC, Clash, existed in my mind a post-apoc punk tough-guy. A street-thug from Judge Dread comic, maybe.
He is tough, brash and a borderline sociopath. He wouldn't hesitate to kill a bystander because, "they'll all be dead in a few years anyway."

Or so I thought. It turns out he is becoming a ladies man. He also who sees all the life and beauty around him and wants to save it all.

Funny how a PC can surprise you like that.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:13 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

MountZionRyan wrote:
What I enjoyed: My PC, Clash, existed in my mind a post-apoc punk tough-guy. A street-thug from Judge Dread comic, maybe.
He is tough, brash and a borderline sociopath. He wouldn't hesitate to kill a bystander because, "they'll all be dead in a few years anyway."

Or so I thought. It turns out he is becoming a ladies man. He also who sees all the life and beauty around him and wants to save it all.

Funny how a PC can surprise you like that.

How could that possibly surprise you? :D

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:53 am
Profile E-mail

Last night we played our Skype Dresden RPG, it was hella fun. The GM split the party (which in this game makes things MORE fun rather than annoying and probelmatic). My PC "Jack" ended up with his brother Nate (Jack is adopted) and their friend Mud. The plan was to find where their teacher lived. Their teacher was their high school teacher who was the guy who put the yearbook together and all the PCs were on the yearbook committee (three PCs have graduated, but that was out connection to the PC).

We had pretty much no idea how to find out where he lived, so we ended up going to a coffee shop and asking around. This spooked a guy who tried to leave without being seen, but Jack saw him and ran after him. As my PC came out onto the street, the GM describes this stranger getting into his car. So... I have Jack run up and hop in the passenger seat to talk to him. I figured since the guy unlocked his car to get in, chances are the doors are unlocked, he wants to leave, so talking to him from outside the car would let him drive off.

The part I loved was that instead of blocking me, the GM ran with it. We had a quick bit of dialog where I honestly explained what I was looking for, he told me we were in trouble and drove around to pick up my PC's brother (mud was left behind to follow in his car) and we took off on a chase. So, from a random element, the GM brings in this great little moment straight from a noir movie (well, in my eyes, it was pretty great). Since the NPC was doing the driving, Nate and Jack ended up arguing about the $10 coffees Nate had to buy, which he brought along, and had to make several rolls to keep from spilling. It was exciting and funny, a super fun scene.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Last Saturday our StarCluster 3 campaign ended a bit early - Exploring an uninhabited system in a string of connected systems resulting from a newly formed/discovered jump line, the group came across mounting evidence that someone had been there recently. A boot print frozen in the mud on the top of a mountain on one world, a locator dropped in a jumble of boulders on another, and finally human remains in the charred ruin of a campsite on yet another. Yet there were no claim bouys, no markers, nothing intentionally left as evidence of a visit.

As they were surveying the jump point for the next jump Saturday, one of them found them. They were heading out to the next system in the chain - in relativistic flight. Either their culture didn't have FTL, or they had a different kind of FTL which required them to accelerate to at least .25C before going FTL. The crew beamed a message laser at their ship and got a heavily dopplered, very time-lagged message back hours later. In a series of such messages, they claimed the whole unoccupied system for their Empire of Worlds, accused the PCs of trespassing, and insisted the PCs' explorer vessel leave immediately.

In a fit of reasoned, intelligent, practical, and thus terribly un-PC-like behavior, the gang jumped back to their home system and warned the SaVaHuTa and DC military about this 'Empire of Worlds' and the arrogant, aggressive behavior of the other ship. Both the DC and SaVaHuTa have an abhorrence of Empire in their core beliefs, and one of the primary duties of both militaries is the suppression of Empire-building. The militaries set out immediately and sent out word for more units. This move caught me totally flat-footed, having expected anything but this! There would be no more exploring until the Military was done with this threat, so the campaign was over.

Since Volant isn't yet playable, we voted to run a playtest of Klax's Look! Up In The Sky! supers game. This is our third playtest, and having played low level and mid level supers, we decided this time we'd run a game at the highest level. We decided that, rather than create a city like we had the first two times, we'd go the Marvel route and use a real city to base in, in this case Boston. We used the city generation system in reverse, to express the real city in game terms, neighborhood by neighborhood.

Then we created our new Association - a US level metahuman police force. We assumed fairly lavish funding, and went to work defining our assets. First off, all the PCs would be sworn in as US Marshals, giving them jurisdictional and arrest powers. The unit is based on a former (and non-existent in RL) secret military base on one of the Harbor Islands. We opted for several platoons of elite military as guards, along with an elite security system. We put in a danger room and the best available databases on every subject. We incorporated a small hospital with a doctor, and healing vats. We picked up some trucks and a fleet of sedans, then got a spaceship, a ship, an airship, and tons of other vehicles. We spent a lot of points on trainees, several of each type, as replacement PCs in case someone goes down, or as sidekicks. It still has no name, but it's ready to run.

Most of us have created at least one PC. The power level is Superman or Batman-esque. I have never done a supers game at this level, and it will be difficult to keep things properly challenging without just throwing equivalent supers at them in endless beatdown battles.

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:03 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next