View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
What we played this week and what we enjoyed about it. 

Post Re: What we played this week and what we enjoyed about it.
I ran a game of red box D&D. Managed to get somebody to watch my kids for an evening so in less than 24 hrs I pulled together a group of some of my old players. Many of us hadn't actually gamed together in years (I think it was the Little Fears: NME playtest actually). Lots of fun was had even though we didn't get very much accomplished. Had two clerics, a thief and an elf in the group. I ended up putting a fighter npc in there to give them a bit more punch.

Currently writing: the 'Be a Better Player' article series on my blog.
Currently running: Red Box D&D at an irregular basis.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:36 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I am going to be running tonight my All Flesh Must Be Eaten game set in The Walking Dead. My group is enjoying it because its more role playing only a little combat

My group is going to play The Company, which uses the OpenQuest system. We are probably do like an A-team game or something like that

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 pm
Profile E-mail

I finally got the chance to run AGON with my Group 1 last night - both groups are having scheduling troubles right now, too, so it was kind of impromptu - last night would normally have been a HeroQuest night run by someone else.

Overall I thought it went really well. It went a little slower than I had expected, in part because I wasn't totally prepared with the rules and had to look things up as I was trying to both teach and learn the game at the same time, but everone took that in stride and had a good time. It took a bit of time to get into the competitive nature of it. One of the players, Chuck, got it faster and started doing things to outshine the others. They were commenting mildly on this, saying things like 'Gee, Chuck is rolling pretty well tonight' - but actually Chuck was playing the game to outcompete the others for Glory (which is the object of the game). The turning point came when Mike scored a 13 in one contest (a pretty high score) and then Chuck used some divine favour to bump his own score to a 15 and beat him. Mike was stunned that Chuck had gone out of his way to steal Mike's thunder! From then on it started to get more cutthroat, and by the end of the evening everyone was having a blast trying to out-do each other.

They're all eager to play it again. The rules are rather simple - a bit simpler than The One Ring (which I'm playing with Group 2), but still fairly crunchy. I think we were really only able to skirt the edge of its tactical complexity. It was also a bit of a mental shift to get into the 'contest' mindset which is slightly different from the 'task resolution' mindset that we're all used to. Definitely a lot of fun, though, and looking forward to playing it more with both groups.

Fri May 11, 2012 10:45 am
Profile E-mail

A couple days ago, my six year old son and I were listening to "This Fantasy World" by the Doubleclicks. Its a nerd folk song about a girl who falls in love with a guy who joins her D&D campaign. After the song ends, my son says, "Daddy, I want to play Dungeons & Dragons."

I ask incredulously, "You want to what?" Keep in mind, I play RPGs, but not D&D, haven't played D&D since I gave 4th ed a shot when it came out. We watched most of the D&D cartoon together when he was 3. That's his whole experience with D&D.

He repeats and clarifies, "I want to play Dungeons & Dragons. It sounds like a game."

I smile and answer, "Oh, it is."

Last night he and mommy rolled up 1st level characters using Swords & Wixardry. He wanted to play a fighter and named him "Dragon Torcher". I proclaimed we'd roll 3d6 and assign stats. He rolled terribly. He has a Strength of 11, Dexterity of 10, a Wisdom and Constitution of 5, and a Charisma and Intelligence of 7. My wife also rolled a 4, so my son got to learn what a "dump stat" was (she's evidently playing the rudest elf in the land).

We hit bed time before he bought equipment, but he's completely stoked. This weekend, Dragon Torcher will fight some goblins, I think.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Fri May 11, 2012 3:26 pm
Profile E-mail

I need to get my kiddos game rolling again. We were on a roll then we hit a rut. Now that she's fencing full time we've had a full schedule.

Fri May 11, 2012 3:43 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

This is from last week - put it in my blog, but forgot to post it here... D'oh!

Started the playtest of Volant (Sunday, May 6). The characters were informed by their "Elders" in the Company that they had accepted a contract from a single region nation. This nation, a mineral rich country, knew that the powerful and militaristic Electorate of Straum had targeted them for assimilation into its rapidly expanding empire, so they contracted out hits on the seven most powerful people in Straum. The PCs had a month to take these people out, or the invasion would launch.

The PCs took passage on the Company's merchant ship, and launched off to Straum on giant owls. They landed in the southern mountains bordering the region of Ar Jinnyeh and did some hunting - their cover. Ar Jinnyeh is a desert region, bordered by mountains, but there are scrubby forests in those mountains. There, at their campfire, they had a terrifying encounter with a herd of camels. When the camel herder, coming up behind, saw they were hunting, he told them in primitive, badly broken Trade that they needed a pass from his boss to hunt here. Instead, the PCs flew north into the desert.

They desperately tried to find a place to land before the sun came up, and came across a small oasis. They landed and were greeted by hissing, angry geese, and a pack of women with bows. The leader, Arjuna, tried t talk to them, but their leader insisted the PCs take their owls out of the oasis. They finally compromised on allowing the owls and PCs in two at a time to water up.

While watering, Sanjay made the acquaintance of one of the women over a bottle of Betaljuce. She told him that the government had called all the men of the oasis into the army for some invasion, and that the headwoman was afraid to let them in lest they be molested, but as far as she was concerned, her husband had been gone for far too long, and Sanjay could park his shoes under her bed any time. Sanjay assured her he felt the same, then told Arjuna what he had learned.

When she realized her women were selling her out, the headwoman let the PCs into the oasis for the day. Sanjay invited Kumar to spend some quality time with him and the oasis woman, and Kumar accepted. Arjuna and Nadila spent their time separately. Arjuna lightly working out and sleeping, Nadila brooding alone in he bedroll. End of Session.

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Mon May 14, 2012 7:55 am
Profile E-mail

I went to a local RPG Meetup this past weekend.

The good news is that we had a person new to RPGs that had a great time. That is always really cool to see. At least I think so. All of the other players were very helpful in making them feel welcome and helping them with rules. Also good to see.

The downside was that I had prepared a Star Wars game for the meetup and attendance was not high enough to support more than one game. In fact, attendance has been so poor the past six-seven months that we've had to change the meetup to a quarterly meeting instead of monthly. A real bummer.

It is a bummer for me because my regular group still has not gamed since 2011. At least we are doing an RPG mini-con in June. That should be fun.

Mon May 14, 2012 3:57 pm
Profile E-mail

GROUP 1: This group finally resumed our RuneQuest campaign after a hiatus of several months. As sessions go, it was a bit bland. Three of the players could not find their character sheets, so it was a little slow to get going. Still, we resolved quite a bit and there was some poignant dialogue. The next session could well be the last of this campaign, depending on the PC actions. I'll try to write the summary for this session over the next week and post it in the usual place (see my sig).

GROUP 2:
This week Group 2 had a new member join, Jude, to bring us up to four players + me as GM, or in this case, antagonist, because we were playing AGON! There was an excellent group dynamic with the new member and everyone enjoyed themselves and is pumped for the next session. This was also the first time that everyone in the group played Agon (except for me - I played with with Group 1 the last few sessions). Everyone took to it right away and not only found it fun but admired its elegance, which boiled down to 2 new PDF sales and one hardcopy sale for the game.

Here's the session summary, and special thanks to French-Tongued Boulet for his suggestion of mythic proportions:

Quote:
TELL ME, O MUSE, of those ingenious heroes who traveled far and wide after they had sacked the famous town of Ilion. Many island did they visit, and many were the nations with whose manners and customs they were acquainted; moreover they suffered much by sea while trying to save their own lives and bring their men safely home; This is but one of their tales.

Know that our heroes have recently been in distant Ilion where they helped Agamemnon and Achilles prosecute an imperfect but successful war. They now return by boat to their various homelands.

Shorty after leaving the shores of Anatolia, a strange wind blew up and four boats became separated from the rest. These were the boats belonging to The Amazon, Clever-eyed Tyro, daughter of Agamemnon (also known as Typo the Misspelled on some of the less couth Doric isles), Strong-Limbed Diocles, son of Heracles, and Monster-slayer Tecton, son of Theseus. These three great heroes were led by the Noble and Fleet-Footed Satyros, Son-Brother of Pan himself.

After the storm, the four boats sought shelter that the crews might rest and that food and water be obtained. They pulled up onto the beach on a nondescript little island called Fornoi. They found only a tiny village on this island, and what with there being no beauties of any persuasion to be found, decided rather to make camp on the beach with their fellow warriors and recount the boldest deeds from 'The War.' They had barely recounted some dozen of these when a mighty wind blew through the encampment, flattening some tents and fluttering the fires. On that wind was borne the voice of Ares, God of War! It said:

"Mortals, well may you sit idle and boast of your victories - do you forget already that it was I who handed them to you? And remember you well those comrades who fell with glory in battle! Yet mine own son, Teleus, has also fallen, but not in battle, for Hera gave him no such chance. If you would show your gratitude to Me, who handed unto you your victories, then I charge you with finding the body of my son Teleus, that he might be put to the pyre and returned to to where he belongs. Know ye that on this island he was born, but this is not where he died."

When the voice of Ares faded, the heroes felt shame, and resolved to correct the situation immediately. They marched up to the village and there spoke to an old crone who told them that once Teleus had indeed lived in the village. He had fallen in love with a maiden named Creusa and they had wed. Little else was known, except that Creusa had somehow angered the Gods and was banished, and being her husband, Teleus went with her. For more information, their gaze was directed to a darkened hut on the outskirts of the village. This, they were told, was the home of the old woman, Thoe, who had been the sister of Creusa.

The four stalwarts approached this hut and Diocles pounded on the door to rouse the woman within. A frail and elderly mouse came to the door, and was immediately questioned by Satyros, who received minimal answers - in large part due to the fact that she was clearly mute and had had her tongue removed. It was only when Tyro used her Amazonian whiles to put the old woman at ease that she admitted the heroes to her house. Once inside, Tyro managed to convince the old woman to show the heroes her lovely tapestries, and they did indeed reveal a tale...

The tapestries showed young Teleus falling in love with Creusa and marrying her. They also showed young Teleus turning his eye to the sweet Thoe, and when one day Creusa travelled to a distant isle to go to a larger market, Teleus took advantage of the young girl and had his way with her. When afterward Thoe threatened to tell all to her sister, Teleus became angry and cut her tongue out so that she might not speak! Time passed and a baby developed inside of Thoe, and was eventually born to her. When she turned to Teleus and Creusa for help with the baby, she received nothing but a stern rebuffment. Desperate to have the truth known, Thoe wove her story into several tapestries. and then showed them to her sister, seeking sympathy. But she did not receive sympathy.

Instead, Creusa flew into a rage and stole Thoe's baby, wrapping it in the tapestry that revealed Teleus' guilt. She returned to her husband and confronted him with both! When he admitted to his guilt and turned a loving eye upon the babe, Creusa's rage exploded and she tore out the babe's throat with a knife from the hearth. It was then that Hera interposed her will upon the couple. For Creusa's heinous deed she transformed her into a hideous, vulture-like monster. Then she banished both Teleus and Creusa to a life of near solitude on a distant isle. The last tapestry showed the monstrous Creusa and her philandering husband Teleus sailing off to a distant isle with twin peaks, while the stern Hera and Zeus looked on from the clouds.

The heroes returned to their boats and made immediate preparations to cast off. Speaking to the local villagers, they discovered that there was indeed a mysterious island with twin-peaks called Pilae several days sail to the south. It was a palce not frequented by fishermen, as there were many dangerous shoals surrounding the island and fierce winds. The island was impossible to approach by boat, and furthermore and ominous murder of crows inhabited the white-stained cliffs of the island; a sure sign of ill fortune!

With some direction from the local fishermen, the heroes set off for the island of Pilae and it's twin peaks. After several says sail over rough seas, they arrived at the little island and, it not being too large, circumnavigated it. They discovered that it was indeed impossible to land a boat on, but there was an off-shore sandbar on the leeward side that would allow a boat to be pulled up. From there it was a simple matter to swim across the lagoon the the beach. And so the heroes piled into one of their four boats and beached on the sand bar. From there they attempted to swim to shore. The lagoon, however, was choked with algae which seemed to grab at their wrists and ankles as if it was of a mind to drown them all. It was Strong-Limbed Diocles who led the way by clearing a path through the kelp. He strode onto the beach, draped only in loincloth and slimy greenery, and roared a bellow of victory. With that, he turned and helped his fellows ashore.

They all stood on the beach together, pulling the entangling seaweed from their necks and wrists, when suddenly they found themselves engulfed by shadow. The crows from the cliffs were now circling threateningly above, dense as a cloud that was about to rain dark, fat, drops....

END SESSION

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:39 pm
Profile E-mail

Well my All Flesh Must Be Eaten game and my Modern Day Mafia game didnt happen due to schedule issues.

However tonight I am playing in the Marvel Heroic Role Playing Game. I am playing Spiderman. It's pretty fun

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm
Profile E-mail

This was actually on June 16th and 17th at our FLGS.....

The mini-con was a huge success. We had an excellent turnout. My game went very well on Saturday afternoon. It was a Star Wars game. With me running Star Wars.... how could it not work out well? ;)

While Pathfinder Society dominated play on Sunday, there were quite a few good game offerings. We had a nice selection of games on both Saturday and Sunday. :dance:

It was good to see the RPG community show up in droves. Now if we could only support the RPG meetup in the same way..... :doh:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next