View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
I'm at GaryCon... 

Post I'm at GaryCon...
...and you're not!

:P

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: I'm at GaryCon...
No one cares, get back to work.

er....or....wait....

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:56 pm
Profile E-mail

What is Gary Con?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:10 pm
Profile E-mail

So....how is it?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:36 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I'd tell you, but I've been too busy.

Played board games and drank on Wednesday night - caught up with friends.

Thursday, played in a pickup game of D&D 3.5 starting at about 11 (before that I had been trying to get someone to tell me what the deal was with souvenirs) - some guy was play-testing a scenario and I didn't have a game until 6PM, so I jumped in.

At break, went and picked up a bunch of souvenirs. Played until about 4.

Went out to dinner with diaglo - had some really good food.

Got back just in time to freshen up and go to my first official game Adventures in the Borderlands using the new ACK system. Tavis Allison DM'd. Had a blast.

Right as we finished up, wife and kids arrived. So I got them settled and went down for a beer with Tavis and his crew.

Leaving in a minute for breakfast and then the kids are in their first game of AD&D while I go off to play OD&D with Tim Kask running it.

And since it's you, SP, I thought I'd let you know there is a bit of SR being played this time around. In fact, I think one of the first games played here was a group of guys running SR down in the convention center area at like Midnight on Wednesday.

Have fun working, losers.....

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:18 am
Profile E-mail

Hey, I love my job! There was a great stabbing the other day-only stabbed the guy three times, but dude broke his blade in the other guys clavicle!- and we have a new guy who's decided to play the old "I'll pull my intestines out and wrap them around my head to show you" game.(Always a winner for me. "Ha!...Now what?" "Stick them back in stupid. Have you looked around lately, the penitentiary is a filthy place I don't even eat here, let alone sling my guts on the floor.")

Plus I have this weekend off, and we're playing a MtG tournament this weekend. Shee-it. Life is good.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Pseudoephedrine wrote:
What is Gary Con?

So...back in 2008, when Gygax passed away, a bunch of his family and friends spent time after the memorial gaming in honor of him. This gave them an idea.

The following year, in 2009, they threw a little "convention" to honor him by gaming - Gary Con. So about 120 folks or so got together in the American Legion hall in Lake Geneva and gamed. Wargames, rpgs, board games - whatever. A lot of the old timers from the hey day of TSR showed up (got that first "badge" singed by a bunch of them). It was a blast.

So they did it again. GaryCon II was moved to The Lodge, a small hotel/convention center west of the town. This time it was about 200 or so people for three full days. I played a bunch of games I'd never played - from Tom Wham's Dragon Lairds (which I played with a bunch of the old guard...and won!) to Puerto Rico. That was in addition to a ton of pickup and scheduled RPG's - all old school stuff.

Last year, GaryCon III was around 400 people and continued in the same vein. Old School gaming, war games, board gaming, card games...just...gaming. We did our second year of playing in the estimable Tavis Allison's Night of the Walking Wet campaign, a module from the old dungeoneer magazine, and played from 8pm until about 3 or 4 am. Last year I brought my kids not just to swim in the pool, but to game. They got totally hooked on DCC and my daughter had a brief glimpse of Internet notoriety because of her play in that game.

This year saw upwards of 550 folks and more games than you could shake a stick at - from Shadow Run to 3.5 to DCC to ACKS to OD&D to Metamorphisis Alpha to a full sandbox war game (complete with sand!) to a jousting tournament to the eight hour Le Mans race game. I brought the kids again - this time they played in four games...two of them run by other kids!

It's getting so big now that they are grappling with (using simplified rules so its just a strength check) how to deal with the possible increase next year. This year saw a huge influx of families/kids/young folks...so it's not just a bunch of grumpy old men like me. I think the beauty is the focus on gaming. Everyone is just there to have a good time in honor of someone and rub elbows with some of the folks who were there at the very beginnings of the hobby.

Does that help? Questions? Comments? Issues?

Last edited by Jim Skach on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:18 pm
Profile E-mail

Sorry...hit quote instead of edit...

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm
Profile E-mail

It was freakin' awesome.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:41 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
Pseudoephedrine wrote:
What is Gary Con?

So...back in 2008, when Gygax passed away, a bunch of his family and friends spent time after the memorial gaming in honor of him. This gave them an idea.

The following year, in 2009, they threw a little "convention" to honor him by gaming - Gary Con. So about 120 folks or so got together in the American Legion hall in Lake Geneva and gamed. Wargames, rpgs, board games - whatever. A lot of the old timers from the hey day of TSR showed up (got that first "badge" singed by a bunch of them). It was a blast.

So they did it again. GaryCon II was moved to The Lodge, a small hotel/convention center west of the town. This time it was about 200 or so people for three full days. I played a bunch of games I'd never played - from Tom Wham's Dragon Lairds (which I played with a bunch of the old guard...and won!) to Puerto Rico. That was in addition to a ton of pickup and scheduled RPG's - all old school stuff.

Last year, GaryCon III was around 400 people and continued in the same vein. Old School gaming, war games, board gaming, card games...just...gaming. We did our second year of playing in the estimable Tavis Allison's Night of the Walking Wet campaign, a module from the old dungeoneer magazine, and played from 8pm until about 3 or 4 am. Last year I brought my kids not just to swim in the pool, but to game. They got totally hooked on DCC and my daughter had a brief glimpse of Internet notoriety because of her play in that game.

This year saw upwards of 550 folks and more games than you could shake a stick at - from Shadow Run to 3.5 to DCC to ACKS to OD&D to Metamorphisis Alpha to a full sandbox war game (complete with sand!) to a jousting tournament to the eight hour Le Mans race game. I brought the kids again - this time they played in four games...two of them run by other kids!

It's getting so big now that they are grappling with (using simplified rules so its just a strength check) how to deal with the possible increase next year. This year saw a huge influx of families/kids/young folks...so it's not just a bunch of grumpy old men like me. I think the beauty is the focus on gaming. Everyone is just there to have a good time in honor of someone and rub elbows with some of the folks who were there at the very beginnings of the hobby.

Does that help? Questions? Comments? Issues?

Sounds like a good time, mate.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next