View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Police Preocedural RPGs 
Site Admin

Post Police Preocedural RPGs
So why do so many people think you can't run a police procedural in an RPG? I've run two now, once in StarCluster 3, and once in LUITS!, and both times they came off awesome. They were easy to run, fun, and engaging. Lots of "plot" twists - not meaning, of course, anything planned, just what happened - great characters, real tension, and amusing comedy.Everyone at the table knew the tropes, and took their jobs seriously. This was like falling off a log, folks!

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:40 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Police Preocedural RPGs
We've done a lot of law enforcement, corporate and military based games. They've all worked fine for us.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:09 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

SeriousPaul wrote:
We've done a lot of law enforcement, corporate and military based games. They've all worked fine for us.

I've run a hell of a lot of military games too, and I keep running into folks who won't even try them.

-clash

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:34 am
Profile E-mail

I've discovered that some times people come to the table with some preconceived notions about the game-be it the setting, rules or even how you're supposed to actually game. Sometimes those people can be pretty stubborn too. I can deal with "This is what I want from my game" but when it becomes "This is what I want and no matter what any one else wants I'm not going to compromise!" I start to get a little disappointed.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:19 am
Profile E-mail WWW

How about y'all talk a bit about how you prep for them; how are these games different?

For example, one of the common threads (no pun intended) I've seen discussed is how to run a "mystery" game - how to account for missing clues, or getting to events before they should without railroading, etc...

Thoughts?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:36 am
Profile E-mail

I have actually wanted to play a game set in a Police Preocedural setting.

Do you think it's a setting that should have it's own system or is it better to just use a generic system

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:43 am
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
How about y'all talk a bit about how you prep for them; how are these games different?

For example, one of the common threads (no pun intended) I've seen discussed is how to run a "mystery" game - how to account for missing clues, or getting to events before they should without railroading, etc...

Thoughts?

Well it depends, if you were setting it where the characters were patrolmen, then you could maybe have them run into a drug dealer/gang once, and they have multiple run ins after the fact.

As detectives, maybe they could investigate crimes, have bad guys they run into often. Maybe they have to investigate a politician and have to mind their p's and q's or risk loosing their job/causing people in their department to loose their jobs,

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:45 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Jim Skach wrote:

Thoughts?

All I've ever done is set up the crime, set up the NPCs, and tell the players they should "go make like cops". They know what cops are, and how they operate - on TV and the movies, anyway. I don't "make clues" and they don't "find clues" - the evidence is a part of the crime and generates itself. All they have to do is gather, analyze, and interpret it. So the prep...

Establish Who, What , When, Where, and Why.
Create the characters involved:
Give them motivations/goals, links and relationships, and resources. This includes the victim, if any.
Establish what they know and what they believe, not just about the crime, but about the other people involved.
Know where they are were, where they are, what they are doing, and why.
Give them personalities, and always think of them and play them as people, not as tools.
Know what is going on in the setting.
That's pretty much it.

It's easy as pie. There is no danger of them "getting to events before they should" because there is no "when they should". It all happens naturally.

-clash

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:03 pm
Profile E-mail

I prep extensively for all of my games. I've found that the more I know about the game world the better I can describe it to my players, and the easier it is for them to interact with the game world.

I also have the advantage of common point of references with my players. We've all known each other for about two decades now, and we've played almost that whole time together. So as you can imagine that helps immensely when building a game world.

Beyond that I start by looking at Police Procedural's. The Wire is often seen by my players as an outstanding example of a "Cop Show", but I also draw from more traditional fare like Law & Order; NCIS and a few of my players really love CSI. Once I get in the vibe I start looking over the PC's and start looking at what they can actually do. I get my plot line and I build from a synopsis.

From the synopsis I start fleshing out what really happened. I lay out the area that the major events in the game occur and then set the players loose. A lot of prep work means I can answer just about anything they come up with. Laying out the clues can be difficult but by fleshing out all of the details its not too rough on me.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I used to run a lot of COPS games. I think more people enjoyed playing that than just about anything else I ran (except Little Fears). I always had a few notecards with quick 'encounters' to fill some of the time with along with more detailed planned out events that took place over several games and had to be uncovered through investigation. A few others I would do is make the players use the 10 codes when calling over the radio, made players who were partners in the same car sit next to each other while playing, gave them a copy of the miranda rights to read when they arrested somebody. Every game started off in the muster room (like in Hill Street Blues) getting a briefing on what's been happening in the city and fed other such information.

After reading this thread I really want to run another COPS game now.

Currently writing: the 'Be a Better Player' article series on my blog.
Currently running: Red Box D&D at an irregular basis.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:11 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next