View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Teenagers From Outer Space 

Post Re: Teenagers From Outer Space
peteramthor wrote:
Wasn't that a R. Talsorian game? It's been a long time since I've seen it mentioned anywhere.

Still is. They actually are selling their games on rpgnow and drivethrurpg as .pdfs

Wed May 02, 2012 12:02 pm
Profile E-mail

catty_big wrote:
Didn't realise it was anime-inspired until I looked it up. Interesting that there a lot of games around nowdays that have connections to anime/manga, e.g. Maid and GXB.

It sort of became more anime (as did all of their games) as Mike Pondsmith fell more and more in love with Anime. Which is a turn off for me because I hate anime.

Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 pm
Profile E-mail

TheRPGInformer wrote:
It sort of became more anime (as did all of their games) as Mike Pondsmith fell more and more in love with Anime. Which is a turn off for me because I hate anime.

I like the Bubblegum Crisis rpg they put out. I managed to get all three books for it. But it was one of those anime series that I actually liked. Well that and a lot of it could be used in Cyberpunk 2020 quite easily.

Currently writing: the 'Be a Better Player' article series on my blog.
Currently running: Red Box D&D at an irregular basis.

Wed May 02, 2012 7:52 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

peteramthor wrote:
TheRPGInformer wrote:

I like the Bubblegum Crisis rpg they put out. I managed to get all three books for it. But it was one of those anime series that I actually liked. Well that and a lot of it could be used in Cyberpunk 2020 quite easily.

I got mad when Mike Pondsmith put out a new cyberpunky game that isn't Cyberpunk 3 but he called it Cyberpunk. And made it part cyberpunk, part anime role playing game. And used crappy dolls for the art.

Of course, Mike went to work for Microsoft, so its no surprise that his ability to be creative was sucked out. Microscum does that to their employees.

Wed May 02, 2012 10:47 pm
Profile E-mail

TheRPGInformer wrote:
catty_big wrote:
Didn't realise it was anime-inspired until I looked it up. Interesting that there a lot of games around nowdays that have connections to anime/manga, e.g. Maid and GXB.

I'm not anime's biggest fan either, but living in Japan (where you're pretty much surrounded by the stuff) for three years kind of inured me to it. Plus, anything any non-Japanese deginer can come up with generally pales by comparison with the real thing.

Thu May 03, 2012 7:57 am
Profile E-mail

catty_big wrote:
I'm not anime's biggest fan either, but living in Japan (where you're pretty much surrounded by the stuff) for three years kind of inured me to it. Plus, anything any non-Japanese deginer can come up with generally pales by comparison with the real thing.

I understand that. But for me, it is enough of a turn off where I wont play an anime inspired game. Not saying playing anime inspired rpgs are wrong, just not my thing

Thu May 03, 2012 9:57 am
Profile E-mail

Huh. I have a hard time selling my players on humorous games. Tales from the Floating Vagabond, Paranoia...they just seem to be immune to them.

That said I pretty much despise Anime.

Thu May 03, 2012 11:03 am
Profile E-mail WWW

TheRPGInformer wrote:
catty_big wrote:
Not saying playing anime inspired rpgs are wrong, just not my thing
I wonder if it's just the artwork (big eyes etc.) or the themes/settings too? E.g. the two games I mentioned, Maid and GxB*- on the publishers' websites the background is all big-eyed Japanese teens, but take that away and what are the actual games like? I know in the rules the anime setting is explicit, but how about hacking them to run in other settings? Maid, for example, I can see running off My Life With Master.

SeriousPaul wrote:
I have a hard time selling my players on humorous games.
A common problem. When I was pitching SFBK to my local club recently someone advised me not to include the word comedy, explaining that it's extremely subjective and players can be put off by games with comedy in their blurb, fearing that it might not be their flavour of comedy and will thus be dire.

*Never played either btw.

Thu May 03, 2012 3:57 pm
Profile E-mail

As I predicted. Only page 2 and the thread is already full of anime-haters.

Keep on hating anime, don't play good, fun games like Teenagers from Outer Space, when you reach the grave, you will fall into it with infinite purity. On your tombstone you can justly obtain the engraving: "Disliked Fun; But Hated Anime".

Thu May 03, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail

SeriousPaul wrote:
Huh. I have a hard time selling my players on humorous games. Tales from the Floating Vagabond, Paranoia...they just seem to be immune to them.

Yeah, I had tales of the floating vagabond but I didnt know what to do with it. I thought they were doing a new edition of that game

Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next