View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
New Games 

Post New Games
How often do you purchase new games? How often do you actually play them? I see a lot of people in forums like these discuss all kinds of games I haven't even seen on the shelves often as not at my FLGS, let alone hear my players discuss. Now I admit we're painfully disconnected at times from the gaming community and especially from the gaming industry.

So what about it?

Fri May 04, 2012 12:20 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: New Games
SeriousPaul wrote:
How often do you purchase new games? How often do you actually play them? I see a lot of people in forums like these discuss all kinds of games I haven't even seen on the shelves often as not at my FLGS, let alone hear my players discuss. Now I admit we're painfully disconnected at times from the gaming community and especially from the gaming industry.

So what about it?

I will purchase a game if it looks good and it looks like it will be fun.

I don't do impulse buying anymore, I only purchase games I know I will get use out of. If I have a game on my shelf that hasn't been played or wont be played, I get rid of it.

Needless to say, my collection has shrunk, however I have gotten a lot of use out of the games I have

Fri May 04, 2012 1:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Every couple of months. I enjoy new games, of all types. I don't go into game stores any more. They seldom have anything I care much about.

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Fri May 04, 2012 2:20 pm
Profile E-mail

I'd like to say I buy new games but, quite apart from being almost permanently broke, I'm ashamed to admit that I kind of rely on folks at my club having them. Shameful I know, and moreover I do the same thing with boardgames, only more so, as they are on average three times as expensive as RPG books (well, the current crop of indie hippy ones- Fiasco, Dogs, 3:16 etc.- at any rate). One guy at my club, who does a lot of GMing and is always on the lookout for the latest hit sensation, told me recently that he buys the book on principle if he thinks he's likely to run the game. Another guy I know on the UK RPG scene is a fairly dedicated funder of Kickstarter projects.

Slightly off-topic but how do the folks here feel about supporting crowd-funded games? Do any of you do it a lot? A bit? Never? Prefer to wait until the game's been out for a while and garnered feedback from GMs whose opinions you trust?

Fri May 04, 2012 5:46 pm
Profile E-mail

I haven't bought an actual new game in a long time. Over the last few years I've become happy with what I have especially since I usually run my own settings and just use a system from a game. Now I still buy some of the supplements and such for a few games, some of the old Cyberpunk 2020 stuff, an occasional adventure for basic Dungeons and Dragons and anything new that comes out for Sla Industries.

Currently writing: the 'Be a Better Player' article series on my blog.
Currently running: Red Box D&D at an irregular basis.

Fri May 04, 2012 7:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I don't buy a lot of games compared to some (every so often people put pictures of their giant shelves of RPGs up on the net and I use those to demonstrate to my wife that I'm relatively normal), but I do buy them whenever something interests me. I'd say maybe 2 or 3 a year, and maybe another 2 or 3 supplements for game I already own. But if nothing was released in a given year that I was interested in, then that number would be zero. At the moment, I have far more games than I can realistically play for a number of years, so I'm not exactly desperate for something new.

As far as crowd-funding goes, I prefer to wait until something has been released and been reviewed or commented on. That said, I might support something that seemed interesting to me from a producer I know and trust, such as a supplement to a franchise I like. For instance, if Flyingmice wanted to crowd-fund the Outremer Companion, I would participate. Similarly, although I will already have a softcover cope of RQ6 when it comes out, if the hardcover collector's edition ends up being crowd-funded, then I would participate in that.

Fri May 04, 2012 7:27 pm
Profile E-mail

I purchase new games every few months, usually online, and often after waiting for reviews. As a former early adopter (who still grabs really cool new stuff from time to time.) I've gotten patient.

Sun May 06, 2012 9:12 pm
Profile E-mail

I buy a new game about once a month. I back a crowd-funded thing about once a month. I am also Lord Corvus Disorder, so there's that.

And to share my affliction with the world, I've started a new podcast, http://mountzionpress.com/rollfornews/, that may help you find new games.

Last edited by MountZionRyan on Mon May 07, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 07, 2012 8:37 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Cool. I'll check it out.

Mon May 07, 2012 9:44 am
Profile E-mail

It's funny Ryan should tie the two together, but my purchasing tends to escalate with podcast listening and decrease when podcasts are thin. I have a bit of the Corvus Disorder myself and buy new systems a lot. Lately I have been trying to curb that and focus on a couple of core systems that work for different styles of games: Savage Worlds, Don't Rest Your Head, Lady Blackbird, maybe Barbarians of Lemuria (though I haven't played that one yet).

I think most gamers buy/own far more games than they play. This is especially true if you ignore all the gamers who faithfully, religiously, exclusively play one game only.

Mon May 07, 2012 10:03 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next