View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Savage Worlds Observations 

Post Re: Savage Worlds Observations
I've just found that Savage Worlds works far better in actual play than it does when reading it. It can be played perfectly fine without minis too. Minis or tokens make things easier to track, but they are optional.

I didn't like Savage Worlds until I played it a couple of times. Now I do.

Thu May 17, 2012 11:20 am
Profile E-mail

RedBlok wrote:
I've just found that Savage Worlds works far better in actual play than it does when reading it. It can be played perfectly fine without minis too. Minis or tokens make things easier to track, but they are optional.

I didn't like Savage Worlds until I played it a couple of times. Now I do.

I read the same thing so many times on many fora. Is it a sign that SW uses non-intuitive mechanics or the rule book could be written better?

Thu May 17, 2012 11:22 am

boulet wrote:
Is it a sign that SW uses non-intuitive mechanics or the rule book could be written better?

I think it was a sign that it could be written more clearly or perhaps with more flavor. The new Deluxe Edition, however, has largely accomplished that. Each rewrite of the game has been an improvement on the previous version.

Savage Worlds
Savage Worlds Revised
Savage Worlds Explorer Edition
Savage Worlds Deluxe Edition (also just released is a Deluxe "Explorer" version)

Explorer Edition was more clear on the rules, but still a little bland.

Deluxe Edition really brought it home with a lot of optional rules/adjustments for different genres. It is a top notch product in the quality department too.

Thu May 17, 2012 11:29 am
Profile E-mail

Yes, the Deluxe edition is pretty well written.

But in the end, some things just have to be actualized. You can read a Shakespearean play. It's okay. But it's way better when you see it performed. (That's true of any/every play.) A musical score. Can you see the genius in it just from reading it? Maybe, but when you play it on the piano you really "get" the beauty of it.

Take something simpler. The directions to your iPod. You read them (or not), you understand them, but you can't tell whether the iPod has pleasing ergonomics or a great interface until you touch and operate it.

Conversely, I have read rulebooks that made me thing the game was going to be super-calli-fragi-kick-ass and then the game sucked.

Thu May 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Profile E-mail

One thing to point out is the fallacy that a d6 Fighting can never hit a Parry of 7 without exploding dice. With a Wild Attack, you get +2 on your attack roll. If you get The Drop on an opponent, you get +4 on your attack roll. If you draw the Joker for initiative, you get +2 on all Trait rolls. If you're gangpiling an opponent, you can get up to a +4, depending on how many people are piling on. If you perform a successful Test of Will, you get +2 on your next action against the defender. If you perform a successful Trick, their Parry takes a -2 penalty until their next action. Finally, if you are armed and they are not, you gain +2 to your attack.

There are a lot of ways to get the upperhand without Ace-ing, though Ace-ing and bennies certainly help.

The rest of it, on the other hand, is spot on. Ace-ing is a huge deal in Savage Worlds and bennies are absolutely the backbone of the system.

Sat May 26, 2012 6:31 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

flyingmice wrote:
doomfistmonk wrote:
Clash. So many systems, so little time. SW is worth playing, though. Especially if you want a grid-based action RPG without too much weight.

I'm usually all happy to look over new systems - hey, I'm a systems guy - but for some reason, descriptions I read of SW do nothing for me. Maybe it's the 'grid-based' bit. I tend to avoid griddy stuff...

-clash

I did, too...until Savage Worlds. First time I ever used maps and minis and the game moved faster.

Completely blew my mind.

Sat May 26, 2012 6:39 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

See I find SW problematic in that its--so combat focused. I mean don't get me wrong, I enjoy action in my games, but the social impetus is not what I want. It does have options to tweak characters a certain way, but it feels like its missing something. I've never played SW, and only tried to run it once, but it just doesn't seem to cohere well for me because of its bits.

On the other hand I've no problem with say Shadowrun--which is arguably crunchier, but seems to fit together more internally to the way I perceive things.

Mon May 28, 2012 12:02 am
Profile E-mail

I admit that Savage Worlds can easily devolve into a wargame if you're not careful...but Necessary Evil is also the only supers game heck, maybe the only game period - I've ran that nearly brought grown men to tears, so we were certainly able to pull more out of it than just combat, thankfully.

Mon May 28, 2012 11:12 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

Despite the grid-based, tactical play, SW never really feels like a war-game to me. It's really not that complicated and the rules (aces, extras, etc.) are designed to resolve a lot of stuff quickly. You really can have a fight with 8 players vs. a horde of 40 goblins, 2 ogres, an orc warlord and his bodyguard in about 30 minutes. All the gobbies are ineffectual extras, ablative armor, speedbumbs. The Ogres are extras too: bigger and tougher, but one solid hit will bring them down. The warlord is a wildcard and he is the equal of a player character (or two). The bodyguards can go either way 2-3 wildcards or 5-6 tough extras. You can really have a ton of moving parts on the battle mat and still resolve everything very quickly.

Tue May 29, 2012 9:33 am
Profile E-mail

doomfistmonk wrote:
Despite the grid-based, tactical play, SW never really feels like a war-game to me. It's really not that complicated and the rules (aces, extras, etc.) are designed to resolve a lot of stuff quickly. You really can have a fight with 8 players vs. a horde of 40 goblins, 2 ogres, an orc warlord and his bodyguard in about 30 minutes. All the gobbies are ineffectual extras, ablative armor, speedbumbs. The Ogres are extras too: bigger and tougher, but one solid hit will bring them down. The warlord is a wildcard and he is the equal of a player character (or two). The bodyguards can go either way 2-3 wildcards or 5-6 tough extras. You can really have a ton of moving parts on the battle mat and still resolve everything very quickly.

Agreed. In Necessary Evil we had some great battles with the PCs brawling it out with a squad of drones, a couple of Fins, a V'sori and occasionally a superpowered traitor or two, and it ran waaaaaay smoother than most anything I've ran in the past, certainly anything with that many combatants.

Tue May 29, 2012 6:18 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2