View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Boredom 

Post Boredom
I just read a thought provoking post about boredom on Gaming As Women. I agree with a comment that the author conflates aspects of boredom and down-time. Down-time doesn't have to be boring, as in it's an opportunity to make other players awesome by paying attention to what they're enjoying during the game, and build on it. With this type of positive attitude you may hope that when the spotlight is on you other players may build up on you awesomeness too.

Thu May 10, 2012 11:12 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Boredom
boulet wrote:
I just read a thought provoking post about boredom on Gaming As Women. I agree with a comment that the author conflates aspects of boredom and down-time. Down-time doesn't have to be boring, as in it's an opportunity to make other players awesome by paying attention to what they're enjoying during the game, and build on it. With this type of positive attitude you may hope that when the spotlight is on you other players may build up on you awesomeness too.

Agreed, boulet! Much agreement here! :D

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Thu May 10, 2012 11:49 am
Profile E-mail

With all I have to do in a day, I wish I had time to be bored. way too busy

Thu May 10, 2012 1:47 pm
Profile E-mail

I don't get boredom as much as frustration with the group management aspects of the hobby.

For example, our group for one reason or another has not met since before Christmas 2011. A lot of the reasons are totally legitimate, but I think we could have gotten things going again by now. We just don't seem to have enough desire to do so.

It is also frustrating at times to coordinate a large meetup group. I'm the co-organizer of a 70 member group in California. We meet once a month for RPGs. We are at risk of losing our sponsoring game store because our turnout has been really poor this year and the store is popular enough to schedule other events in its place. It is really hard to get people to RSVP for events, let alone get enough GMs to volunteer to run events. My efforts to keep things going by trying to find out player interests and desires has been met so far by the music of crickets.

I sometimes wonder if the enthusiasts in the hobby are dying out or moving on to other things and that there just isn't that much real interest in roleplaying anymore. At least where I live at.

So more frustration in not playing and not getting more players than boredom for me. I guess this could be Structural Boredom? It is really hard for me to be bored on a personal level though since I am a person that is quite easily entertained.

Last edited by RedBlok on Mon May 14, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 10, 2012 4:01 pm
Profile E-mail

RedBlok wrote:
I sometimes wonder if the enthusiasts in the hobby are dying out or moving on to other things and that there just isn't that much real interest in roleplaying anymore. At least where I live at.

I think a big problem is how hard it is to get people together (as you mention). I game online now, but when I was gaming with a local group it was hard to get people to the game.

I spent years just trying to get a group together and then it was more work just keeping things together (the group lasted 2 years). But still, it was a lot of work.

When it becomes more work then pleasure, it makes you wonder if it's even worth it. Sometimes I consider selling all my game books and just playing MMORPGS. Can play whenever I want, have fun but without all of the work

Fri May 11, 2012 7:56 am
Profile E-mail

I've never been bored during a game that I can recall.

I do get bored - but only when I have to perform a task that I don't enjoy, like writing up a tender at work. I never get bored because 'I've got nothing to do' - my imagination is far too active for that.

I'll throw my hat into the organizational difficulty ring - both my groups are having trouble making the game commitment right now, and I'm trying to add a player to Group 2 which is also proving very difficult. Seems that most people in Toronto only want to play D&D, or they can't commit to a regular gaming schedule.

Fri May 11, 2012 10:49 am
Profile E-mail

I must have really misunderstood the question.

I rarely get bored during a game unless the GM is doing a bad job, or there are too many players in the group and everything is slowed down

Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 am
Profile E-mail

I've been bored a few times at the game table. Played in a Shadowrun group where it took forever for the GM to handle what the hacker was doing. We ended up sitting around for over an hour a lot of times. Another time I played in a game where the GM was basically telling a story that we had very little interaction with so again we just ended up sitting there. I always took experiences like this as learning points and made sure that I didn't do these myself.

Currently writing: the 'Be a Better Player' article series on my blog.
Currently running: Red Box D&D at an irregular basis.

Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I can empathize with all complaints about keeping a gaming group running and the toxic apathy that some players bring to the table. It sucks and I haven't found a solution. Even when I compromised with my preferences (say playing D&D even if it's not my thing) I've ended up with similar absence issues, irregular meetings etc..

The article was more about what happens at the table once the group gathered. I align with Thalaba: it's rare that I feel badly bored at a table unless my gaming style doesn't align at all with the rest of the group. My imagination is always keeping my mind busy, or I'll pay attention to someone else's spotlight, or I'll check something in the rule book etc...

Reading gamers on gaming forums I was starting to wonder if I was an odd case regarding this topic. Many posts advocate the horror of waiting for one's turn painting a picture of a hobby riddled with ADHD. But I'm starting to think that the gamers who complain about being bored during play time are a loud bunch rather than a mass phenomenon.

Fri May 11, 2012 12:46 pm

I'm not really sure what to say here because I've never stuck around at a table where I wasn't having fun. My free time is at a premium, so I don't waste it lightly.

Fri May 11, 2012 1:33 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next