View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Boredom 

Post Re: Boredom
TheRPGInformer wrote:
I must have really misunderstood the question.
I rarely get bored during a game unless the GM is doing a bad job, or there are too many players in the group and everything is slowed down

Me neither.

peteramthor wrote:
I've been bored a few times at the game table. Played in a Shadowrun group where it took forever for the GM to handle what the hacker was doing. We ended up sitting around for over an hour a lot of times. Another time I played in a game where the GM was basically telling a story that we had very little interaction with so again we just ended up sitting there. I always took experiences like this as learning points and made sure that I didn't do these myself.

This sounds like bad GMing. No, what I think Boulet is getting at is when, through no fault of the GM (Ok, I’m maybe a tad too generous with GMs, such as when they feel they have to look something up while at the table and in the middle of a game, which doesn’t necessarily bother me but I know makes some folks think ‘He’s lazy; he should have checked that before’) there just is downtime and you as a player are not doing anything related to your character. I find I use that as an excuse to go take a pee, get a drink, leaf through the source book, if it’s on the table, plan some future move or strategy (I know a player who does this a lot, and it usually seems to pay off), chat to my neighbour OOC, or whatever. I don’t feel that I have to be doing stuff throughout the game.

Last edited by catty_big on Mon May 14, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 11, 2012 5:46 pm
Profile E-mail

catty_big wrote:
Me neither.

I have to be honest, it has been rare that I have been part of a game where I was bored because the GM is not running the game well or there are too many players so it's not a big issue for me

Mon May 14, 2012 6:38 am
Profile E-mail

I may have misunderstood the article too.

I have been bored at the table as a player before. It has happened more frequently the older I have gotten. This is particularly true if the GM isn't doing a good job of keeping things moving or if the GM is acting like a jackass. Not that I would last long in a game where the GM is acting like an ass.

Hobby time is precious. Hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable, not become a reason for your blood pressure to spike. :P

Mon May 14, 2012 12:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2