View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Inconsistant canon and fixed rule sets 

Inconsistant canon and fixed rule sets
One of the things that has always bugged me about Star Trek is that I love it so much and its utter unplayability as a standard RPG. It is my personal theory that the inconsistent canon combined with the shear magnitude of the canon make for a very difficult model.

Now, I have had ST campaigns fail. I have had them succeed. When the succeed, it is because the group sits down and decides we will
1. Act like Star Fleet officers not rational thinking beings. if we do not play star fleet, the game is boned. Usually, Bird of Prey + Cloak + Photon Torp = Mega-Honour for the Empire.

2. The iron hand of improbability shuts down any rational use of tech at their hands. Transporters as weapons against enemies of the landing party? Ahh, there is atmospheric interference and we cannot get a lock...yeah.

In response to all this, I wrote a diceless, GMless narrative game (AHHHH! My EYES! The Goggles DO NOTHING!!!). It does the trick but it is still not the smoothest ride.

So, have you encountered this problem with ST or other settings where canon may be long running (TV Series often do this) and self contradictory?

What do you do about it?

Thanks.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:52 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Inconsistant canon and fixed rule sets
What does your diceless, narrative game allow you to do to preserve canon? Have you checked licensed games for tips on how to preserve these aspects?

Personally, I'd re-imagine the Star Trek universe but that's me. The quirks of the system and background, and how the players use/abuse it would become staples of this re-imagined version of the show. A sort of idealized, personalized Star Trek just for you and your group.

As for your question, yes. I've had similar problems early on. I have mostly abdicated on strict renditions. I like to create everything from scratch or to do very loose adaptations of the original material.

My mod voice is red

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:25 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Inconsistant canon and fixed rule sets
Consonant Dude wrote:
What does your diceless, narrative game allow you to do to preserve canon? Have you checked licensed games for tips on how to preserve these aspects?

DRATs has no fixed effects. So, your phaser does not do XdX dice in damage but instead allows you to spend Z Action Points to create an effect. Want to disintegrate that school and the resto fo the group thinks it would be a) hard and b) against Star Fleet Code? You have to spend more AP.

As to the licensed games, I owns all the ST games. The best for handling rogue gamers is Fasa Trek but that is more a case of less tech than good advice. Most TNG era books advise blocks and redirects as I call them, "Ion storm knocks out the transporter" or "The transporter can't make it through that EM Field/material/Electrical storm". This only works so much.
Consonant Dude wrote:
Personally, I'd re-imagine the Star Trek universe but that's me. The quirks of the system and background, and how the players use/abuse it would become staples of this re-imagined version of the show. A sort of idealized, personalized Star Trek just for you and your group.

Yes, definitely a possibility and one I have embraced in my time as well. However, as some players are quick to point out (ironically usually the same ones who piss in the pool) that is NOT Star Trek.
Consonant Dude wrote:
As for your question, yes. I've had similar problems early on. I have mostly abdicated on strict renditions. I like to create everything from scratch or to do very loose adaptations of the original material.

Agreed. Hell, I write my own games inspired by this stuff. ;)

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:52 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]