View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
So my group is going to playtest D&D Next 

Post Re: So my group is going to playtest D&D Next
Yeah...but they were on that path ever since 4e was released SP...be honest with yourself.

So let me make sure I understand...you and another person wouldn't play if it was RAW?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:14 am
Profile E-mail

SeriousPaul wrote:
Maybe it ate his baby? I know D&D Next got my kids addicted to crack, and robbing liquor stores!

I guess for me it doesn't matter. At this point the arguing makes me hate it so I am kind of glad we aren't play it

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 am
Profile E-mail

OK...I'll try again...

Another player in your group did not want to play if it was to be RAW. For whatever reason, the person to DM assumed you felt the same, although your turn off might have been the angst it was causing.

Is that better?

If so, why was the person against running a playtest RAW?

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:08 am
Profile E-mail

My bet is a fundamental misunderstanding as to what a playtest is. :doh:

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:00 am
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
OK...I'll try again...

Another player in your group did not want to play if it was to be RAW. For whatever reason, the person to DM assumed you felt the same, although your turn off might have been the angst it was causing.

Is that better?

If so, why was the person against running a playtest RAW?

I have no idea why the person is against running it RAW. The argument between the (to be) DM and the other player started on Skype the day before and I only found out about it when I was on skype with both of them the next day. They get back into an argument, which they accuse each other of various things and though I am not in the argument, listening to it marred it for me and the thought of playing it no longer seemed fun or interested me

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:25 am
Profile E-mail

I played a couple of sessions (the wizard and then the fighter) and I ran it once. At those sessions were people with a wide range of roleplaying tastes and one complete roleplaying newbie. Everybody had fun. The three people who DMed were very pleased as well.

It has surpassed my expectations by a lot so far, although they were low to begin with I guess. I like the general design direction as far as the core engine is concerned. instead of pushing some particular design agenda, aesthetic or philosophy it seems to try to cram as many fun bits as possible in the game. It mostly works in play, it feels very much like DnD and it is fun.

Big surprise for me: I didn't feel as comfortable with the advantage mechanic as much as I expected to.

Mixed feelings: It's still not streamlined enough for my tastes. All these backgrounds, schemes, skills, race abilities, etc... it adds a lot of unnecessary clutter.

And of course, it's still very early in the process so the numbers are raw, unrefined. They need work but that's what playtesting is for.

But I generally like where this is going and it looks like it will easily become my edition of choice unless they further complicate things.

My mod voice is red

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:11 pm
Profile E-mail

I was supposed to play test a game with a guy once. (See I'm drawing attention away from my terrible familial problems! :D ) It became rapidly clear he'd never even read the game, let alone had the remotest idea of how to play it, let alone run it. Now I don't have a lot to base this one, other than my experiences play testing and with the few play tests groups I know-but it seems to me like a lot of play tester's are jackasses, who just want their name in a book and have no business being involved and are only involved because they work in tech fields and can post to various online stuff like 40 going south, and there fore they seem like attractive options.

I don't have a solution to that, nor do I claim all play tester's are like that. Just the a lot of the ones I know personally.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:33 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I think if there was an argument this early in the process it's probably good that we didn't actual go through with the playtest.

Who knows how much of a trainwreck it would have turned in, if something like running the game by the rules causes such an argument

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:18 pm
Profile E-mail

I'm planning on running the game at least once. Online (oh shit, he's breaking the rules!) and with some other folks in person. They might not have signed the playtest agreement either. (TREV IS A REBELLIOUS ASSHOLE.).

I like the general vibe I've picked up from reading through the rules PDFs about one and a half times, and am pretty curious to see what it's like in action. I'm also curious to see if, once the game's actually out, WotC is actually capable of putting out playable adventures. Because getting run through the hardback "Giants" adventure, I wanted to punch things in the face. So did most of my current group.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:27 pm
Profile E-mail

When are you doing your F2F, Trev? And where?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next