View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Snacks 

Post Snacks
In order of importance to the success of a game session are,
  1. people
  2. snacks
  3. setting
  4. system
Some may disagree with the ordering, those people are wrong and stupid. But whatever: I'm here to talk about snacks.

The choice of snacks is an important one, not to be taken lightly, as it influences the tone of the game session. Once I had a couple of players who wanted to lose weight, so we agreed to have healthy snacks. The game group imploded within three sessions. We'd previously played together happily for more than a year with coke and cheetos. I cannot with certainty state that the carrot sticks and dip were the cause of the implosion, but I'm sure it didn't help. Thus we have established that the snacks must not be too nutritious. Eating healthy food creates a more serious tone, during which players take themselves more seriously, and arguments about stupid shit dominate; eating junk helps create the relaxed atmosphere needed for a game.

I've always been fond of the classics: pizza, beer, and chips. What sort of snacks have you had in your game sessions?

"Don't let yourself get too worried about all this talk about roleplaying [...] the ultimate object of all this is for everyone to have fun, not to recreate some form of high dramatic art." - Dungeoneer

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:43 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Snacks
I am assuming this post is tongue and cheek in it's approach and you aren't seriously saying anyone who disagrees with you is wrong.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:09 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Kyle is being quite serious, as well as being sassy, in the inimitable Aussie manner. Kyle is the leader of the Cheetoist movement, and has written the Cheetoist Manifesto. :D

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:53 am
Profile E-mail

Pizza is fairly common for our group. Or Pizza and wings.

There is a place here in our town that makes Salt & Vinegar chicken wings. When I heard about them I was like, "That sounds disgusting. Who would eat that?" Then I tried them and became addicted. So good! Almost better than Salt & Vinegar potato chips.... almost.

Of course Me & Ed's brick oven fired pizza is simply the best thing in our area when it's on track. And it is usually on track. Crunchy corn meal crust on the bottom, with a soft and air bubbled top, not to mention great sauce and fresh toppings. Hard to resist.

The one snack I have brought that makes people look at me funny is a bottle of Smucker's Goober (Peanut Butter & Jelly) and some Ritz Crackers. It is quite the combo.

I also like White Cheddar Cheez-Its or Pretzels. Especially if I have yellow mustard or some other kind of dip to put the pretzels in.

I'm fine with people bringing carrots, celery, fruit, or what not, but I don't need any Food Nazis telling me what I have to bring. I do enjoy our gaming group potlucks though. I usually take 3-4 pounds of slow cooked shredded beef roast slathered in BBQ sauce along with some soft rolls. MMMM good.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:36 am
Profile E-mail

flyingmice wrote:
Kyle is being quite serious, as well as being sassy, in the inimitable Aussie manner. Kyle is the leader of the Cheetoist movement, and has written the Cheetoist Manifesto. :D

-clash

For me, snacks make no difference. For me its:

1) people
2) setting
3) System
4) Snacks (optional)

I can eat snacks anytime. Snacks don't make my game any more or less fun and anything that can distract from getting gaming done is eliminated as much as possible

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail

For the record, preztel sticks make for some excellent terrain pieces when using minis. 8-)

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:39 pm
Profile E-mail

But as far as snacks that usually show up at the table, I would say at least cokes and pretzels and/or chips

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:50 pm
Profile E-mail

TheRPGInformer wrote:
For me, snacks make no difference. For me its:

1) people
2) setting
3) System
4) Snacks (optional)

I can eat snacks anytime. Snacks don't make my game any more or less fun and anything that can distract from getting gaming done is eliminated as much as possible

Yup, same goes for me and my regular gaming buddies. Also yes, it's generally coke (in my case cherry flavour, I'm weird like that) and crisps, sometimes haribos. Anything else is a bit of a distraction, not to talk about all the potential mess, with the character sheets, source books etc. (many of which are costly to replace) getting smeared with gunk. Couldn't have that happening. Oh no.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:31 pm
Profile E-mail

Nothing wrong with Cherry Cola. Cherry Dr Pepper is the bomb.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:32 pm
Profile E-mail

catty_big wrote:
Yup, same goes for me and my regular gaming buddies. Also yes, it's generally coke (in my case cherry flavour, I'm weird like that) and crisps, sometimes haribos. Anything else is a bit of a distraction, not to talk about all the potential mess, with the character sheets, source books etc. (many of which are costly to replace) getting smeared with gunk. Couldn't have that happening. Oh no.

Yep, I totally agree. I usually want people to eat before they get to the game so we don't have them sitting with burger holding us up while we wait for them to eat.

Not to mention I found a bag one time under my couch with a burger wrapper and a shake cup and the person who had eaten it had to leave the group due to time constraints. And he had left 2 months earlier.

No wonder I had ants. So it also keeps things cleaner

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next