View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Designing a Curriculum 

Post Re: Designing a Curriculum
I hadn't considered the benefits of an improv theater. It's not my school of thought, but it would definitely be important for a well rounded education. Good point!

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:50 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Before there can be a curriculum, there must be a body of knowledge. Since tabletop roleplaying is so ignorant a field that a considerable portion of its practitioners don't even allow for the possibility that there might be any valid knowledge or techniques other than their own, it's too early in the medium's development for there to be a curriculum that could be taught. It's like asking someone in 1570 to write a curriculum for novel-writing. We just don't know enough yet. People violently disagree on the advisability, validity, or even the reality of different content or content-creation practices.

A considerable portion of the hobby wants to burn down everything created after 1982. A much larger contingent doesn't even know anything exists other than The Edition Of D&D They Played When They Were 13.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:10 pm
Profile E-mail

JDCorley wrote:
Before there can be a curriculum, there must be a body of knowledge. Since tabletop roleplaying is so ignorant a field that a considerable portion of its practitioners don't even allow for the possibility that there might be any valid knowledge or techniques other than their own, it's too early in the medium's development for there to be a curriculum that could be taught. It's like asking someone in 1570 to write a curriculum for novel-writing. We just don't know enough yet.

That's wouldn't warrant not putting a curriculum in place. They're doing it "too soon" all the time. Computer games, new media and so on... and it's a trend that's actually gonna increase if human beings keep on breaking new ground (and cater to new needs) at an exponential rate. It's now par for the course that in an increasing number of fields, a lot of what you're gonna learn will be obsolete after you graduated anyways.

The main reason there's no curriculum right now is because RPGs are perceived as irrelevant socially, culturally and financially. If a given field can't be relevant in at least one of those aspects, it's unlikely someone will make a curriculum for it.

If there was a perceived need (say, lots of jobs to be filled in the near future), the private sector would speak loudly and some schools would have no problem building a curriculum. That's not even speculation, you can bank on it.

Whether it would actually be a good thing to have a curriculum is another debate, I guess.

My mod voice is red

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:01 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Consonant Dude wrote:
That's wouldn't warrant not putting a curriculum in place. They're doing it "too soon" all the time. Computer games, new media and so on... and it's a trend that's actually gonna increase if human beings keep on breaking new ground (and cater to new needs) at an exponential rate. It's now par for the course that in an increasing number of fields, a lot of what you're gonna learn will be obsolete after you graduated anyways.

Case in point, my son has a Masters in Game Design and Development. This is, of course, for video/computer gaming, which is approximately of the same generation as RPGs. The difference is you can make actual money at it.

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:45 am
Profile E-mail

flyingmice wrote:
Consonant Dude wrote:

Case in point, my son has a Masters in Game Design and Development. This is, of course, for video/computer gaming, which is approximately of the same generation as RPGs. The difference is you can make actual money at it.

-clash

And his curriculum was...?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:18 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Jim Skach wrote:
And his curriculum was...?

http://www.fullsail.edu/degrees/game-design-masters

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:50 am
Profile E-mail

Consonant Dude wrote:
The OP asked for a curriculum, not for its economic viability.

Well I did answer that part. But ok, I will stay on topic. Sorry about that

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2