View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Lamentation of the Flame Princess Grand Adventure Game 

Post Re: Lamentation of the Flame Princess Grand Adventure Game
O.k. just wanted to make sure I understood. The way you initially stated it, you sounded like you opposed anything not self-funded.

What I have seen of this effort has not impressed me down to the donate dollars and get euros back if it does not fund.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Consonant Dude wrote:
Unlike Kyle, I think alternative funding can be cool. I can totally see some projects where it might be helpful and a win-win situation. I don't see anything cowardly about it.

I'm sure some people are interested in this and that's cool. But I'm not.

I think we are on the same page here CD.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 am
Profile E-mail WWW

two_fishes wrote:
I can't agree with calling it cowardice. Publishers had no choice in the past except to risk higher upfront costs because it was the the only model that functioned. Smart publishers did whatever they could to minimize those risks. The internet has made a new model available that offsets the risks even further. Taking advantage of it is just good business practice.

A crowdfunded project has the same benefits as a traditionally structured project--if people like the product, the funding succeeds. The customers get their product and the developer makes money. If the people don't want the product, the funding fails, those who supported the project (essentially by pre-ordering it) get their money returned and the only loss is the cost of the proposal.

I admit this project is a little different. You could buy one of the big packages, lay out the money for all the adventures and wind up receiving only a few. But the option does exist to put your money for each module individually. In that case you get what you pay for and get your money back for the modules that fail.
This.

Kyle Aaron wrote:
two_fishes wrote:
I can understand a publisher's desire to remove the risk from publishing, though.

Yes, it's called cowardice.
No it’s not, it’s called lack of funds due (usually) to no fault of one’s own.

Kyle Aaron wrote:
[If you need money upfront to get things going in a business, then a sensible businessperson has a couple of ways to go. They can save money for a bit - and if you really believe in the value of your product or service, you'll put your own money into it. They can take out a loan. Or they can ask for investors, and those investors will be promised a share of the profits, if any.
And if you still don’t have any funds after all of that? Investors are being asked to put their £/$ into something that may not succeed, even if it’s a good product. And if it fails their £/$ is gone, whereas with a crowd-funded project, as two fishes says, you fork over the £/$ (and get the product at the end) only if the project succeeds in getting funding; if it doesn’t, you haven’t lost any of your dosh (unlike the investor).

Kyle Aaron wrote:
[You don't just ask for a handout. And when people are paying over $100 for a single book (hi there, Marc Miller) that hasn't even been written yet, that's a handout.
Yes, this guy seems to be asking for a lot for not much in return, but that doesn’t speak to a fault in the crowd-funding model, it just shows that the guy hasn’t got his pitch right. What it really comes down to is this: if you don ‘t like the pitch for whatever reason, don’t pledge to that project. Simples.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:09 am
Profile E-mail

To be clear, there is no requirement to lay down money to fund all 19 projects. Each adventure is its own crowdfunding project and you support whichever projects you like individually. You can put down $10 for each adventure and get a PDF or $20 and receive a printed copy. It's the upper levels of support that are risky. If you put down $100 on a project you like, you're supposed to receive the printed adventure plus 5 random adventures. If that project funds but only 3 other projects fund, you're shit outta luck.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 am
Profile E-mail

two_fishes wrote:
To be clear, there is no requirement to lay down money to fund all 19 projects. Each adventure is its own crowdfunding project and you support whichever projects you like individually. You can put down $10 for each adventure and get a PDF or $20 and receive a printed copy.
So no problem. If you want to back the project, do so. If you don’t, don’t.

Hang on, there's more:
two_fishes wrote:
It's the upper levels of support that are risky. If you put down $100 on a project you like, you're supposed to receive the printed adventure plus 5 random adventures. If that project funds but only 3 other projects fund, you're shit outta luck.
Yeah, that could be a problem. It would have been ok if he’d put up a basic game plus maybe five other modules, but nineteen? That’s a bit much, yes.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail

I notice Desborough is one of the multiple authors in this project. That ought to keep the letter-writers busy for a while.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Thalaba wrote:
I notice Desborough is one of the multiple authors in this project. That ought to keep the letter-writers busy for a while.
Ya got that right.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2