View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Why aren't you at GaryCon with me? 

Post Re: Why aren't you at GaryCon with me?
flyingmice wrote:
I think Jim assumed you were trolling rather than ignorant of the association. ;D

Ok, well Jim, I'm genuinely interested and genuinely ignorant, not trolling. Glad you enjoyed the con :D.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 am
Profile E-mail

catty_big wrote:
flyingmice wrote:
I think Jim assumed you were trolling rather than ignorant of the association. ;D

Ok, well Jim, I'm genuinely interested and genuinely ignorant, not trolling. Glad you enjoyed the con :D.

I really did honestly think you were giving me the shiv....

s'all good....

started working on Day 2...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail

No worries :). Look forward to reading the next segment.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 pm
Profile E-mail

flyingmice wrote:
catty_big wrote:
Ok, got it. Wisconsin, not Indiana. My bad.

It's named for Gary Gygax... :D

And here I thought...

My mod voice is red

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:39 pm
Profile E-mail

Day 2...

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:35 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:

Some brief comments:

1. I love those commemorative coins, which put most con souvenirs (t-shirts and dice etc.) to shame.
2. Red Dragon Inn. There are a lot of boardgames around these days that due to their themes appeal to roleplayers as well as boardgamers. Check out also Last Night On Earth, Pandemic and Zombiecide, and of course Mythos games like Arkham Horror and Mansions of Madness etc.
3. 8 a.m. start eh? Jim you are a hardy soul! When I attend week-long residential cons here in the UK I normally only sign up for the first slot of the day (typically 9 a.m.) if it's something I've been dragooned into. Mind, I'm usually gaming until 11 p.m. the night before, but yeah I'm a bit of a lightweight.
4. Your son seems to have had a whale of a time; always a big plus when younger kids can play in games as well as the adults, I don't think enough provision is made for young children in gaming.
5. A colour spray spell?!! Fantastic! I've asked for the DCC core book for my birthday in just over a week's time, looks like my players and I are going to have a ton of fun with it. I actually met one of the writers, Sean O'Connors, at a one-day con in London last November- he even played in the Sci-Fi Beta Kappa game I was running- but I had no idea who he was until much later. I would have bought a copy of DCC and asked him to sign it if I'd known.

Look forward to reading about Day 3.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail

I think they did not have commemorative coins this year as they do them on the even years, if I recall correctly, so one year is on each side. I look forward to getting another one next year. In fact, I have three, because at GaryCon IV they had reprints of the first coin where instead of the print number (mine I try to get 66) it has a GC IV. I had to pick up another so that some day when I shuffle off this mortal coil each of my children will have one. Having two kids who are into gaming is doubling my expense!

Thanks for the heads up on the games, catty. I'll take a look. This year I've taken a longer look at board gaming because with the family (or anyone else for that matter) I just don't have time to get a regular rpg going (Hint: it would totally be DCC which the kids absolutely love!).

As I said, I can't do 8AM on Thursdays. I might try one on Friday next year, just to see how that plays out. But Saturday and Sunday are right out. The annual Night of the Walking Wet game we play on Saturdays (write-up to come) makes that more than difficult. Some of it depends on how much I feel like drinking...

As to the last part....

First and foremost is SIGPUP. This is a fake organization I made up. It stands for the Society to Increase the Gamer Population Using Procreation. I'm the "founding member", as it were. One of my good friends, the one that had to back out ate the last minute, brings his kids to GaryCon (and GenCon). And there is no better convention for families than GaryCon. Every year I've seen an increase in the number of attendees under the age of, say 14. There are games now that are run just for kids. My next write-up will include a game where, and I'm not kidding, the rule (as jokingly presented as it was) included the fact that each adult must be accompanied by at least one child. There are games for kids run by kids. Last year my kids were in two of those games and people at other tables were commenting how much fun they seemed to be having and how they would leave their game to play with the kids in a heartbeat. I've had several people who, upon seeing my kids and me playing, come up and ask how old they are and how old they were when they started coming to GaryCon. I am a firm believer there is an untapped pool...a market if you will...of the next generation of gamers...our own kids. And I've been a small force in my own small way in trying to ensure that GaryCon remains a really family friendly destination.[/soapbox]

Second is DCC. This game is fantastic. Period. I've played since GaryCon II, I think it was, in playtests so early the inestimable Mr. Goodman barely had rules. And, of course, in the spirit of what makes GaryCon so great, it was a pickup game I literally stumbled into one day. And DCC seems to particularly appeal to younger kids (pre-teens teens from what I've been reading around the net) as well. It's the one game my kids look for...sure, they play AD&D and OD&D and pretty much anything...but DCC is the gold standard for them. When we had open time they said, "well, we're going to go swimming...unless you can get us in a DCC game". But I can't say enough good things about DCC. It's my current favorite incarnation of the D&D model...and that is saying something. I think it has extremely novel and fun approaches to address things about the basic D&D model. The character funnel is genius, IMHO, for example.

And though my son was the source of much amusement this game, we must never forget the playtest game from GaryCon III that made my daughter..who we'll call Storm for now...became briefly kind of OSR famous for The Boot. My pride knows no bounds...

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 am
Profile E-mail

Wow it is taking forever, but here's Day 3...

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:07 am
Profile E-mail

I'm pacing myself....

....very slowly...

Day 4, Part 2

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3