View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Shock Horror 

Post Shock Horror
CoC? Dead of Night? Kult? Tremulus? Any of these horrors appeal to folks and, if so, how do you handle them? Here are some questions for y'all:

• How do you keep up the tension in a campaign-length game?
• How you stop players gonzoing it up and spoiling the atmos?
• What settings do you like, e.g. Lovecraftian, gaslight, Delta Green etc?
• What systems work well/badly for horror?
• Cthulhu: Call of or Trail of? What's good and what's bad about either/both systems?
• Any bite-sze AP reorts?

Wed May 01, 2013 1:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Shock Horror
I have never been able to achieve horror in a horror game. I can get squik, I can get triste, but horror? No. OTOH, I was a player in one of my games once, and my co-designer *nailed* it with nothing more than a scene where a PC was brushing her hair.

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Wed May 01, 2013 2:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Shock Horror
flyingmice wrote:
I was a player in one of my games once, and my co-designer *nailed* it with nothing more than a scene where a PC was brushing her hair.

Yeah, I think horror is probably best where you least expect it. I should also have said that of course horror doesn't just come in 'horror games', it can be delivered anywhere, but especially in systems like WoD where you already have the potential in the setting. F'rex my SFBK co-writer (btw books arrived yesterday- yay!!) does a lot of psyching out of the players in his Changeling games; he's particularly proud of one GMC who he says he based off a character in Labyrinth (or was that Pan's Labyrinth?).

Thu May 02, 2013 2:48 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]