View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Exillis - skirmish minis plus an iPhone! 

Post Exillis - skirmish minis plus an iPhone!
Whoah, now this is interesting:

http://www.livingdice.com/1738/best-of- ... 9-exillis/

I first heard about it on Ken Hite's latest Out of the Box column, where he reports in from GAMA.

It's a tabletop minis skirmish game, but you hook up to a central server with an iPhone (or a desktop) and use it to enter all your moves. It then calculates the results for you. Very interesting.

I have very little experience with this kind of a game, but I think this kind of mixing of digital tech with tabletop gameplay is something we are going to be seeing more of, in the tabletop RPG as well. If I were Wizards, I'd be taking a hard look at these guys.

Here's the official website:
http://www.ex-illis.com/

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:25 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Exillis - skirmish minis plus an iPhone!
I should find the post on TheRPGSite from about a year ago or so (maybe more, as it's been on my mind for quite some time) where I predicted this as the future of RPG's. Makes perfect sense for tactical skirmish...

Now you couple all of this with the Microsoft table and put tags on the bottom of the figures...you could touch a figure and it would show you to where it could move, what attacks were available, etc.

I mean, the thing is it could go a thousand directions - once you bring the computer to the table to handle calculations, it opens up a world of possibilities. Now when I said something like this over on d20 Haven, Mr. Gleichman pushed back, IIRC, from the perspective that if you take the challenge of knowing and playing the rules, you take away part of the fun for him - which I can see.

But this doesn't surprise me. In my mind, something like this was inevitable given a) the ability of a laptop to essentially be a small server, b) everything being Wifi, and c) the proliferation of cheap, lite, handheld computers.

Hmm...what abot a small RPG device that just had an engine to run rule systems. IT could be, essentially, an XML processor with a schema to represent a bunch of possible implementations and enough storage for...well..now I'm being boring...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]