View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
[Movie] Knowing 

Post [Movie] Knowing
I have two daughters under three, so getting out the movies is rare treat these days. I got a 'boys afternoon out' with my father and brother in-laws. We saw Knowing with Nicholas Cage.

I am lukewarm when it comes to Nicholas Cage- he has some hits and misses in my eyes. However, I think that this one was a hit as far as his acting goes. He did a great job in it.

I am kind of mixed on my feelings about the movie overall. If pressed, I would say that it's a good and entertaining movie, worth the price. However, the ending had some elements that just didn't sit right with me.

I don't want to give any spoilers away, so I will just say that the ending has some non-denominational Christian overtones, mixed with something else. Not that that is a bad thing in of itself, however, I felt it was compressed way to much at the ending.

The basic plot is that Cage's son receives a letter from a time capsule at his school that buried 50-years earlier. The letter was a series of random numbers. Cage is some kind of astro-scientist whose is, or becoming, a drunk due to his wife's recent death (well, several years earlier). In a drunk fueled fit of recognition, he starts putting some order to the random numbers and discovers that the date and number of dead for major disasters are outlined in this document, and has dates in the future.

The movie is a good suspense movie up until the end, where the aforementioned pseudo-religious tones crop up.

"The Dude abides."

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]