View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Rise of the Planet of the Apes 

Post Rise of the Planet of the Apes
I am trying not to be too excited about this and I have no idea how they can actually make an ending to this that will appeal to specist humans, but based on the trailer, this looks quite promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsXeGmrptw4

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:32 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
For me I think the way the apes have "human" eyes is just disturbing.

I watched the trailer and I have to admit, that part kind of made me a little uneasy.

It looks like it will be a good movie, but nothing that can't waiting until it gets to cable

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Interesting. I'll bet you could make the plot to a zombie apocalypse movie pretty well.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:45 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

MountZombieRyan wrote:
Interesting. I'll bet you could make the plot to a zombie apocalypse movie pretty well.

Sure - people capture infant zombies, inject them with serum to increase their IQ, raise them in their homes, teaching them like children, throw them in cages with wild zombies, smart zombie gets out of cage and injects wild zombies with serum, then BREAKOUT! and zombies WIN!!!! Hunt wild humans on horseback. Classic! :D

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 pm
Profile E-mail

OK, smart arse. :roll:

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:33 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

But seriously, from that trailer it's hard to tell how much of themovie is about taking smart-ape home and how much is about the ape-apocalypse. I suspect the trailer is made mostly from footage from the first 30 minutes of the movie.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:34 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I'm guessing the two will be tied together, which is how they will get the humanocentric element in the movie. The family takes the smart ape home and then he becomes the one who leads the revolution. Then there is some kind of climax that allows for the scientist and his family to escape or something. Still, it must have a fairly dark ending, no? I'm having a hard time seeing how Hollywood can allow for that.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:39 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

With this fungus being out creating Zombie Ants I am not so sure Zombies are totally impossible (ok maybe not possessed by evil, but in some form or another).

If you don't know anything about Zombie Ants here is a good article:

http://www.livescience.com/14064-zombie ... asite.html

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:10 pm
Profile E-mail

Hasn't anyone here seen the original five films?

They're all dark, except possibly the last (which wasn't very good). The first is a classic late 60's-70's dystopian kick in the guts.

Based on the Wikipedia article, this one sounds like it could be somewhere between okay and quite good (the cast alone arguing for the latter). But I don't see the point of doing a remake other than capitalizing on baby boomers' memories.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:37 pm
Profile E-mail

I've seen all five - and not that long ago, as I got the boxed set last Christmas. I really enjoyed the series, though you can see how the budget dwindled.

Sure they're dark - the explore themes of nuclear holocaust, racism, imperialism, genocide, and so on. But they offer a glimmer of hope, too. In that sense they're a lot like the road warrior, but with a better analysys of the human condition. They aren't nearly as dark as 'The Road', for instance, though - at least the antagonists in the Apes movies have redeeming qualities.

For me, the second movie was the worst of the lot - even though as a kid I was profoundly moved by the last scene, and the memory of it (along with Nova's first words) still haunts me somewhat.

I love the music from the first, third, and (IIR fourth) movies. I seem to remember that fourth one has a recreation of the famous baby carriage scene from Battleship Potemkin (so does The Trotsky, BTW, Walkerp - you should watch that one). The last movie isn't as good as 1, 3, or 4, but probably offers the best hope. I love the concept of the guardian of the arsenal, whose job it was to prevent the misuse of weapons.

Overall, it was a great series of movies. The creators were trying to hold a mirror up to society, and really succeeded at that. This is where I think the current one will fail. They'll probably put too much emphasis on the CG and try to wow with the action instead of with the intellect.

My expectations are usually low for fantasy/sci-fi/speculative hollywood movies, and yet I keep hoping someone will come along who gets it.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next