View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Dragon Age 

Post Dragon Age
OK - I wasn't sure where to put this as the information says both a CRPG and a TTRPG will exist...

And for full disclosure, I read about the announcement over at TheRPGSite (unlike some folks, I'll admit to...ummm...building on something).

But I found this interesting for a number of reasons, and I was curious what others thought. Two pretty good names are teaming up to release relatively simultaneously a CPRG and a TTRPG based on the same world. Good Points? Bad Points? Interesting but as of yet unknown how they will play out points?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue May 05, 2009 2:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Dragon Age
Jim Skach wrote:
Two pretty good names are teaming up to release relatively simultaneously a CPRG and a TTRPG based on the same world. Good Points? Bad Points? Interesting but as of yet unknown how they will play out points?

Good points, though the announcement itself doesn't live up to the hype. When as a publisher you talk about a major license, it'd better be a MAJOR license, aka LOTR, Narnia, Grey Mouser and others. This, IMO, is not a major license. The combination of efforts, however, is promising.

Tue May 05, 2009 2:09 pm

I was initially intrigued when the thread at RPGNow started about this ..... but since I have never heard of Dragon Age, I'm back to where I was before I heard anything.

Sun May 10, 2009 2:18 am
Profile E-mail

What Benoist said.

The game may be amazing, and I'll look closely as more stuff comes out...but as of now, it's hardly earth-shattering...a licensed RPG for an IP that hasn't debuted yet? Not a game changer.

Sun May 10, 2009 11:05 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

I just hope they manage to get the boxset into videogame stores like ccg's are atm coz im sure they will be able to draw more players to pen and paper games that way than the usual ways.

If they do a limited edition of the game with the boxset thrown in as a bonus even better as pretty much everyone i know who would buy a copy of the limited edition would eventually give the other version a shot if only to see what its all about.

I agree about the licence not exactly being a big deal though, i just hope they didnt pay alot of cash for it because if the game bombs it may prove a costly endeavour.

Sun May 17, 2009 9:52 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Just thought I'd put this up for your edification (if you haven't already seen it!)...

Interesting - it sounds like a cross between OD&D and D20 using d6's...

Wed May 27, 2009 3:24 pm
Profile E-mail

I thought that "hey this could be neat". Then I read this,
Quote:
As I mentioned, the first set covers levels 1-5. We’ll be doing additional sets to cover levels 6-10, 11-15, and 16-20.

Really? You cant give me a complete game in one shot? Someone honestly though that following the TSR path was a good idea? Dont get wrong I like B/X D&D. But its better as the Rules Cyclopedia, with it all in one place. What about people who hit it hard and have characters at 5th level in three months? (Which I dont think is unreasonable) They have to wait how long before they get the next section? I call shenanigans on that.

Wed May 27, 2009 4:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Ronin wrote:
I thought that "hey this could be neat". Then I read this,
Quote:
As I mentioned, the first set covers levels 1-5. We’ll be doing additional sets to cover levels 6-10, 11-15, and 16-20.

Really? You cant give me a complete game in one shot? Someone honestly though that following the TSR path was a good idea? Dont get wrong I like B/X D&D. But its better as the Rules Cyclopedia, with it all in one place. What about people who hit it hard and have characters at 5th level in three months? (Which I dont think is unreasonable) They have to wait how long before they get the next section? I call shenanigans on that.

As was mentioned up-thread, this might be initially aimed at non-traditional tabletop players who are looking at the DA name and thinking "oh, this could be kinda cool" so maybe a narrower focus is alright.

Beyond any structure of the game itself, from what I've played so far (admittedly not that much) the setting is pretty cool, gritty fantasy, and something I'd be interested in playing in. It's definitely something I might pick up at some point.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile E-mail

One of our players picked this up last night prior to our session starting. It looked like a nice little product. I think, perhaps, we'll be looking into giving it a test run at some point.

I didn't look at the rules - anyone know what they are like? Is there a decent comparison?

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:15 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]