View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Sports Simulations 

Post Sports Simulations
My other love, besides RPGs, are sports simulation games. You know, games in the style of things like APBA and Strat-O-Matic where you coach a sports team and try to win games with the real players.

I'm very curious about whether anyone else here plays those games, which ones they play, and whether they do anything special with them. IN my case, it's leagues. I think I'm in six total online leagues right now. Strangely, I've never won a title in any of them and have epically bad teams in two of them.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:42 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Sports Simulations
I don't - but I wast thinking about this for some reason the other day and I wondered. Are there any of these that are...I don't know, tabletop games, like this? Or is it mostly fantasy leagues now?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:50 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
I don't - but I wast thinking about this for some reason the other day and I wondered. Are there any of these that are...I don't know, tabletop games, like this? Or is it mostly fantasy leagues now?

The closest analogy would be a combination of board game and RPG, in that you are assuming the role of a big league manager or coach. In the traditional sportstgame, you have a set of cards representing the players on your team and some method of randomization to determine the result of the plays you call. Dice are traditional; APBA uses two dice read as giving a result from 11 through 66, for example, using two dice of different colors, while Strat-O-Matic uses one die of one color and two dice of another to give a range from 1-2 through 6-12.

The growth area of the industry has been in computer games, but the principles remain the same. Some of the most successful computer games are direct adaptations of board games, to the point that they use exactly the same card set as the cards-and-dice version of the same game. Even in computer games without a boardgame base it is traditional to refer to a player's ratings as their "card".

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Incidentally, today I was able to pick up the newest version of Action! PC Basketball, one of the games I have leagues in. I picked up both the pro and college teams set from the last season played (2008-09). Playing around with it so far it looks really good.

That said, my team in my modern league looks dreadful. I'm not sure quite what I can do to improve it.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:02 pm
Profile E-mail

I went through a period of addiction to such games back in the early 80s, with occasional re-visits. Looking at my shelf, my clear poison of choice was Statis-Pro (I have baseball, football, and basketball). I also had Avalon Hill's "Title Bout," but I think I lost most of the action cards for it when I looked a few years ago.

A friend of mine was really into APBA football, IIRC, though I didn't much care for it.

Nowdays, the closest I get to a sports game is playing Battleball with my son.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:54 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Back in my blue collar days, I once commented to my boss and some of the other dock-monkeys that fantasy football was D&D for sports nerds. The resulting frustrated angry denial was awesome and provided fertile ground for days worth of mockery.
Not that I would ever mock anyone.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:10 pm
Profile E-mail

I will cop to playing Fantasy Football. But it's PROPER Fantasy Football, the English Premier League. :mrgreen:

Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:27 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Aos wrote:
Back in my blue collar days, I once commented to my boss and some of the other dock-monkeys that fantasy football was D&D for sports nerds. The resulting frustrated angry denial was awesome and provided fertile ground for days worth of mockery.

I've made this same comment to some folks I know that do fantasy football. I didn't get overly angry denials - but it certainly stunned them a bit...

Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
Aos wrote:

I've made this same comment to some folks I know that do fantasy football. I didn't get overly angry denials - but it certainly stunned them a bit...

I got at least one full on sputtering "N-N-No it's not!" My favorite response, though, was from my boss, who just looked down at the floor, and after a moment of silence said in a quiet voice, "Goddamn it, you're right."

Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:19 pm
Profile E-mail

Aos wrote:
Jim Skach wrote:
Aos wrote:

I got at least one full on sputtering "N-N-No it's not!" My favorite response, though, was from my boss, who just looked down at the floor, and after a moment of silence said in a quiet voice, "Goddamn it, you're right."

That's more along the lines of what I got. I can't recall, off the top of my head, if there was an outright admission. But it certainly made them think.

Now, I've been fortunate in my life in as much as, post high school, when I informed people about my hobby, I never got a ton of bad response. In fact, it's been quite funny to watch some folks sheepishly admit to having gamed - inevitably informing me of their collection still in storage somewhere...

But I've derailed this thread enough. Back to sports simulation!

Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next