View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
"Warriors" on History Channel 

Post "Warriors" on History Channel
Is anyone else watching this?

As someone who isn't a trained historian, I find the show reasonably entertaining and informative at the same time. I can see it being especially of interest to someone who would want to run a 'historic' real-Earth campaign, or perhaps just something that is a little more realistic than your typical fantasy fare, in terms of armies, soldiers, training, warrior cultures, etc.

I'm curious as to what others (especially those who are perhaps more knowledgeable about ancient cultures) might think about the show.

http://www.history.com/content/warriors/about-the-show

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: "Warriors" on History Channel
Perry Holley wrote:
Is anyone else watching this?

Wasn't aware of it! Good catch!

Myself, I have watched Battles BC on the same channel and I find it really entertaining, if only mildy informative. Basically, it's bits of history remixed with a 300 feel.

It's style over substance but it gets my blood pumping for fantasy mass combat.

In fact, looking at all the shows, they might wanna rename it the gamers' channel. :twisted:

My mod voice is red

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:43 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: "Warriors" on History Channel
I've watched a couple of episodes (let's see...Inca and Viking?) and a few more are queued up on the Tivo. I've enjoyed it so far, but it's not as good as I'd hoped.

For me it has been most interesting to watch and see how, while the underlying technolgy (stone age vs steel) - didn't matter. Somehow man finds a way to get a sharp edge and set about killing with it. I also though it was interesting in both cases to get a sense of the society/culture that resulted in and supported the warriors.

I've coupled it with Battles BC - my only wish is for a bit less bloody version my kids could watch. I'll let my son watch Warriors after I preview it, but so far Battles has that 300 effect and the blood is flying.

I prefer my son to get his inappropriate levels of violence and blood and killing from video/computer games he sneaks off to play - not in my own living room with me right there.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]